5 CLASSIFICATIONS?

0u812

Could someone please clear this up for me. Why does football have 5 classes with less teams, and basketball has only 3 classes with more teams? If it is a money thing wouldn't they benefit with more classes in basketball? This would mean more substate and state games. Just wondering. :confused:

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by sls:

you get an answer to this I sure would be interested in knowing the intelligent answer if there is one

My understanding of this is that it would be to hard to get the districts and regions matched up. The way they have it now is still hard for some teams because they have to travel so far and thats is what they want to try to cut down is the travel.

Posted by cardinalcoach:
Posted by sls:

you get an answer to this I sure would be interested in knowing the intelligent answer if there is one

My understanding of this is that it would be to hard to get the districts and regions matched up. The way they have it now is still hard for some teams because they have to travel so far and thats is what they want to try to cut down is the travel.

Up until last year you could not travel any further than Camden vs Bolivar for a district game. It is minimum 2 hours one way for what used to be a district game. Still today Milan vs Camden or milan vs riverside is a 1 hour drive. humboldt vs Bolivar or Mcnairy is a 1 hour drive. Trenton vs Mitchell is 1-1/2 hour drive. There are still some long travel times.

Posted by 0u812:

Could someone please clear this up for me. Why does football have 5 classes with less teams, and basketball has only 3 classes with more teams? If it is a money thing wouldn't they benefit with more classes in basketball? This would mean more substate and state games. Just wondering. :confused:

Football requires more players, and the difference in school enrollment is more significant on the field in football than it is on the court in basketball. You only need about 10 or so for basketball, you need at least 25 or so for football.

The state championships in basketball and other sports don't need to be watered down any more than the D2 split does.

Those are all good points except for the watering down point. I don't think any sport could get more watered down than football already is. However, travel is that way for every district, we at Forrest must travel at least an hour and a half to get to Huntland, you find that in every district. Most basketball teams have varsity, j-varsity, and freshman squads so I'm sure there are more than 10 or so on a basketball team or even wrestling, soccer, baseball, softball...Anyway are there any more ideas to this question? :confused:

[Edited by 0u812 on 10-1-02 7:20A]

Posted by sls:
Posted by cardinalcoach:
Posted by sls:

Up until last year you could not travel any further than Camden vs Bolivar for a district game. It is minimum 2 hours one way for what used to be a district game. Still today Milan vs Camden or milan vs riverside is a 1 hour drive. humboldt vs Bolivar or Mcnairy is a 1 hour drive. Trenton vs Mitchell is 1-1/2 hour drive. There are still some long travel times.

Thats what I am talking about the travel times are long now and they would be longer in some places if they go to 5 classes. The problem is just one that would be worse for some and not bad for others not one that would be easy to do.

Posted by 0u812:

If football already does the travling now, what would be the difference in basketball? Not trying to argue, just understand. :confused:

Some areas have to travel just to get to a school that is in their class. And there are more basketball teams than football not all schools play football. It is just trying to get the schools from major travel which some already have.

Posted by cardinalcoach:
Posted by 0u812:

If football already does the travling now, what would be the difference in basketball? Not trying to argue, just understand. :confused:

Some areas have to travel just to get to a school that is in their class. And there are more basketball teams than football not all schools play football. It is just trying to get the schools from major travel which some already have.

Here are some numbers that may help so people can under stand. There are 264 schools in the five defferent classes in football not counting Div II and there are 360 teams in three classes in basketball not counting Div II. Some of the schools are in districts that only have four teams in them now and they are no other schools close to them to add more to their district without lots of travel. Thats the problem you would get into in some areas just not enough schools close to the same size in enrollment. Fottball is much different because the areas in some places are small and the schools are close to the same in size.

I have not taken the time to break this down, but it seems to me that if 4 or 5 classes in basketball existed, there would be fewer districts in each class than exist now. instead of 16 in AA for example there might only be 8 districts. 2 districts in each 1/4 of the state. I do not see any more traveling with that in mind, than I do now.

Posted by sls:

I have not taken the time to break this down, but it seems to me that if 4 or 5 classes in basketball existed, there would be fewer districts in each class than exist now. instead of 16 in AA for example there might only be 8 districts. 2 districts in each 1/4 of the state. I do not see any more traveling with that in mind, than I do now.

But some only have 4 in the districts they are in now what would they do.