5 CLASSIFICATIONS?

0u812

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Football travels on Friday nights. No school on Saturday.

Basketball would have to travel and be out late on a lot of school nights (Tuesdays).

Plus it would lead to smaller districts, or the elimination of districts all together. Football is broken up into regions. Fewer conference games would lead to problems filling out a full schedule.

Thanks for the replies. However basketball has been travling on Tuesday nights forever, so this wouldn't matter. Filling out a schedule now is harder when you have 16 district games verses 8 district games. Smaller districts would mean you could play a variety of teams.

I don't understand. Are the same schools which play football not playing basketball. If there were 5 classifications in basketball then each school would be in the same class for both football and basketball. Therefore with more teams in basketball than football it stands to reason that, at the worst, travel would be the same for football and basketball if not better for basketball because of the number of teams that play basketball. The bottom line is more people feel as if their school has a better chance to win in basketball with three classes than with five.

Posted by theshowstopper:

I don't understand. Are the same schools which play football not playing basketball. If there were 5 classifications in basketball then each school would be in the same class for both football and basketball. Therefore with more teams in basketball than football it stands to reason that, at the worst, travel would be the same for football and basketball if not better for basketball because of the number of teams that play basketball. The bottom line is more people feel as if their school has a better chance to win in basketball with three classes than with five.

It would not be the same because some schools play up in football and would not in basketball.

Posted by cardinalcoach:
Posted by sls:

I have not taken the time to break this down, but it seems to me that if 4 or 5 classes in basketball existed, there would be fewer districts in each class than exist now. instead of 16 in AA for example there might only be 8 districts. 2 districts in each 1/4 of the state. I do not see any more traveling with that in mind, than I do now.

But some only have 4 in the districts they are in now what would they do.

Depending on where the breaking point is, they might stay the same. Then agian if there are less districts there could even be more per district.

Posted by Chakra20:

Dont you think the shear number of games as comparible to football. Football is played on friday nights one night a week 10 regular season games. Normal Basketball season is about 30 games thats 3 times the away games.

Not that it matters that much but 26 is the max on regular season games. For a home and home schedule that is 13 away games, some on Friday and some on Saturday and some during Christmas break, so 5 or 6 mid-week games in 3 months is not bad. Looking @ milans' schedule they have 5 mid-week away games 3 are 15 min. away and 2 are 30 min away. Just good scheduling I guess.