Rankings Week 5

mjuhb

Eurosport Rankings are not credible nor reliable and would appear are being manipulated. Bearden ties Siegel in the last minute, has close games with Collierville and Harden Valley and Knoxville West. Houston kills everyone and is still 6th. C'mon people. This ranking is a subjective joke. When are people going to wise up to what is going on?

OTP2012 - Get a life! Someone spends a lot of time and effort putting these rankings together. Whether we agree with them or not, they are always interesting and informative. It only takes a few "chronic complainers like you" to cause the rankings creator to hang it up...and then we all miss out. Rather than criticizing, why don't you: 1) stop reading them, and/or 2) start your own thread with "your rankings and your research"? I appreciate whoever takes the time and effort to research and share their rankings.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OTP2012 - Get a life! Someone spends a lot of time and effort putting these rankings together. Whether we agree with them or not, they are always interesting and informative. It only takes a few "chronic complainers like you" to cause the rankings creator to hang it up...and then we all miss out. Rather than criticizing, why don't you: 1) stop reading them, and/or 2) start your own thread with "your rankings and your research"? I appreciate whoever takes the time and effort to research and share their rankings.

I actually read this as a criticism of eurosport not MJuhb. MJ goes above and beyond with his rankings, I am not sure how he has the time and energy. Eurosport has it's own separate rankings and I believe that is what OTP was discussing. Either way, it will all work itself out at the end of the year.

Please stay cordial folks or you know BigG will come hammering down!=P

i have been out of the area for awhile, but when I lived in ET, I recall that the soccer coaches vote the eurosport poll, while mjhubs poll is done by a non hs coach. I guess what I am saying is that if the eurosport poll is not good, than you have no one to blame but yourselves. It is tough to knock a team out of first, it generally takes a loss. But if you take a look at the records of the teams played (combined w/l) of Bearden 93-77-27, while Houston is 50-48-14, one would summize that Bearden may deserve the better of the rankings. On the other hand, Soddy's teams have a combined lost/win record that shows more losses than wins, so certainly they may be ranked to high. Strenght of schedule should have much meaning. Not knocking the coach t poll, but again, not being completed by the coaches.

i have been out of the area for awhile, but when I lived in ET, I recall that the soccer coaches vote the eurosport poll, while mjhubs poll is done by a non hs coach. I guess what I am saying is that if the eurosport poll is not good, than you have no one to blame but yourselves. It is tough to knock a team out of first, it generally takes a loss. But if you take a look at the records of the teams played (combined w/l) of Bearden 93-77-27, while Houston is 50-48-14, one would summize that Bearden may deserve the better of the rankings. On the other hand, Soddy's teams have a combined lost/win record that shows more losses than wins, so certainly they may be ranked to high. Strenght of schedule should have much meaning. Not knocking the coach t poll, but again, not being completed by the coaches.

Your point re: has merit on its face - and Bearden is very good any way - BUUUUTTT, just for the sake of clarity, SD has wins over ND and Signal Mountain. ND's won-loss record is not good - 4-7 - but those loses are to teams such as Germantown, Collierville, GPS, Oak Ridge. Signal Mountain had to forfeit 4-6 (don't care enough to actually look it up) because of playing an illegal player.

Doesn't disprove your point but they have beaten some good teams and are, in fact, a good team.

If I can find the RPI software, I'll input the Eurosport results and figure out the real numerical values. That would be something.

You don't need software. The RPI (for NCAA basketball anyway) for a team is 0.25 * the team's winning percentage + 0.5 * the team's opponents' winning percentage + 0.25 * the team's opponents' opponents' winning percentage. This is basic math. It's just a question of whether or not you have enough time to put it together. I certainly don't.

That said, I'm not sure how accurate the RPI really is. For instance, it doesn't account for margin of victory.

what does looking back at a record over 5-7yrs have to do with this year's ranking? Is Eurosport ranking yearly or over a longer period of time? First, I'm not that knowledgeable but it feels like for the last 5-6 years Houston has had a pretty decent record and been to state. They won it last year and they are on track to be there again this year....I think if you polled state wide coaches in the know it would be my suspicion that Houston would come out on top strictly based on how they have handled their competition compared to other teams...private schools would be Baylor and St Agnes....IMO

what does looking back at a record over 5-7yrs have to do with this year's ranking? Is Eurosport ranking yearly or over a longer period of time? First, I'm not that knowledgeable but it feels like for the last 5-6 years Houston has had a pretty decent record and been to state. They won it last year and they are on track to be there again this year....I think if you polled state wide coaches in the know it would be my suspicion that Houston would come out on top strictly based on how they have handled their competition compared to other teams...private schools would be Baylor and St Agnes....IMO

I was not knocking Houston by any means. I merely stated that once you get in the saddle, it is harder to come down. Houston HS had a chance to play Bearden in their tourney, I guess that would have solved it on the field. Memphis has many excellent teams in both genders.

I was not knocking Houston by any means. I merely stated that once you get in the saddle, it is harder to come down. Houston HS had a chance to play Bearden in their tourney, I guess that would have solved it on the field. Memphis has many excellent teams in both genders.

I didn't think you were knocking Houston..I'm not a Houston parent...just a casual observer of local soccer...I will say this...if Houston is willing to fly to the west coast to play 2 top 30 teams nationally I doubt they are dodging anyone due to fear, etc...they didn't play Baylor either...maybe some gamesmanship or strategery (see will ferrell doing George Bush - SNL)...Houston will qualify for state so Bearden just needs to get there and we may get the match up after all...please don't misread me...Houston is beatable and so is everyone in the state....It will be wide open...good luck.