What a joke

crazy_cowboy89

I have a question. What if you are the only 6a team in your district, and you can only play all 5a teams? Then what? Is this why Brighton had the lowest score in your formula?

Look at Brighton last year again:

Total Points 652

Brighton (6A) (District 13) (8-2)

-----------------------------------------------------

Week 0) Raleigh Egypt (5A) (1-9) 48-12 86

Week 1) Bartlett (5A) (4-6) 21-14 104

Week 2) Cordova (6A) (6-4) 32-34 42

Week 3) Covington (4A) (2-8) 14-7 72

Week 4) Jackson Northside (5A) (7-3) 32-21 122

Week 5) MAHS (1A) (1-6) 63-8 6

Week 6) Munford (5A) (3-7) 35-41 15

Week 7) Carver (3A) (0-10) 45-0 40

Week 8) Hardin County (5A) (8-2) 34-14 128

Week 10) Dyer County (5A) (2-8) 41-0 92

Every 5A opponent cost them some points but where they really get hit is the 4A, 1A and 3A teams.

What if those three games were losses to (5-5) 5-A teams instead? Keep in mind they finished (8-2) but behind

(5-5)'s Bradley Central, Soddy-Daisy and Ravenwood because of their schedule. Swap out a 72 and 6 and a 40 with three 25s and they would have been worse off. But if they had won just one of those games? That win would be worth 105 over a 5A (5-5) team. It isn't fair to a Lavergne or an Oakland to be in a all-6A district and not get some credit for that over 6A teams that play in predominately 5A districts, especially now that all games count so those teams could schedule 6A teams out of district.

Unfortunately, most coaches of the 1A, 3A, and 5A love this system. They don't have to compete with the schools a little bigger during the play-offs. I am not from Ohio, but they have 6 classes with 850 schools. Tennessee has 6 classes in public plus 2 more in private with about 350 schools. Can you say very watered down. Why don't we just give everyone a trophy and call them champions. Isn't that what they do in little league?

I complained last season about Brighton being a great example of why the new playoff plans are terrible.

Their schedule last season:

Brighton (6A) (District 13) (8-2)

-----------------------------------------------------

Week 0) Raleigh Egypt (5A) (1-9) 48-12

Week 1) Bartlett (5A) (4-6) 21-14

Week 2) Cordova (6A) (6-4) 32-34

Week 3) Covington (4A) (2-8) 14-7

Week 4) Jackson Northside (5A) (7-3) 32-21

Week 5) MAHS (1A) (1-6) 63-8

Week 6) Munford (5A) (3-7) 35-41

Week 7) Carver (3A) (0-10) 45-0

Week 8) Hardin County (5A) (8-2) 34-14

Week 10) Dyer County (5A) (2-8) 41-0

Brighton made the 6A playoffs last year with a record of (0-1) vs 6A teams!!!!

They played a 4A team, a 3A team and a 1A team.

Their schedule this year is same as last year of course. They beat Cordova this year 35-21 so they will qualify as a 6A playoff team with a (1-0) 6A record.

[/q

Brighton, along with Covington and Munford, are "bedroom" communities for Memphis located in Tipton county. Brighton is the closest to Memphis and thus has grown (barely) into a 6A school, but they are not in a 6A "league" as such and have to play whom they can. All the nearby 6A teams are in Memphis/Shelby County leagues and have pretty much "locked in" schedules AND for the reasons you have mentioned most are LOOKING to play DOWN with their few "elective" games. It's a totally different situation than metro Nashville, Robertson County, etc.

Edited by owlbooster

I think those are important facts.

1) This is who they traditionally play, program up or down. Maybe not necessarily by design. I mean that area has exploded, these programs are fed by growth in these schools. The growth probably parallels the competitveness as well.

2) These options are close. What if they had to travel an hour or more one way?

As far as a 6A playing 1A, there has to be a story behind that.

MAHS probably wanted that game more than Brighton. They are a TINY brand new school just in their second year of athletic competition. There are very few 1A schools in Memphis, so most of their games will be played "UP" I think both teams were just trying to complete a 10 game schedule as best they could.

Millington is 25 minutes down the road....Craigmont is 35-45 minutes away.

In order for 2 teams to play, they BOTH have to have or else arrange an opening on the same weekend. And WANT to play each other. Are you implying that Millington and Craigmont want to play Brighton? That Brighton has been "ducking" them? Who would Millington or Craigmont drop from their schedules in order to play them? It would probably have to be an "elective" game with the privates. Is that what you really want? Brighton instead of MUS, CBHS and Briarcrest?

David, they should have picked up your plan. It was/is brilliant. You need to be on their payroll. Nobody knows numbers/stats/analyzing like you.

Thank you for the kind words. I sent it to several board members and TSSAA officials last year and was promised that it would be looked and they would get back to me but nothing came of it.

You have to have some kind of system to reward or discourage scheduling of a high school sport because it is not a level playing field between enrollment and each community's fiscal capacity. When I suggested that a Lavergne should schedule teams like a Red Boiling Springs I am not doing so as a slight to either school, just illustrating that the current system doesn't care who your seven wins come from if you finish 7-3 and a bunch of teams finish 6-4 and have to be ranked to see who is in and out while you are in at 7-3 even if your district record is 2-3 and a 3-2 team goes 6-4 and is looking up at you, even if they beat you.

Brighton fan. Brighton may have several factors regarding their schedule or enrollment figures, but 6A Playoffs is just that. A playoff of 6A teams. And for a team to be in that bracket with an (0-1) 6A record (last year) or a (1-0) 6A record (this year) just does not seem right. Kind of like a Georgia or a Vanderbilt playing one SEC game and schedule FCS or Sun Belt or Conference USA (was going to say Big-10 to rile up my Big 10 friends - LOL!) teams and then qualifying for the SEC Championship game at (1-0) because everyone else in the east had at least one loss. This is not a rip at Brighton, but at the system the TSSAA has created. Lincoln Co or Lavergne or Coffee Co or Centennial's season might be markedly different if they played a schedule similar to Brighton's. Agreed?

Edited by davidlimbaugh

This whole system makes me sick. Gone are the days of playing hold your breath thrilling kind of games. It is kind of like dumbing down the game in TN.

Hey Priceless, and everyone for that matter! It's been a long time since I chatted with you all. Been busy here in the Nation's Capital with work, coaching and chasing the kids!

It looks like TN has went the way of VA high school sports. We have teams here that do this kind of garbage all the time because they have to play for "Power Points" to get into the playoffs, so they go out and find a smaller school to try to crush for no apparent reason! Why did they go away from the true 5A system we had and back to this antiquated AAA type system?

By the way Priceless, I don't have a CoachT Plus membership right now, so email me on my new email when you get a chance at [email protected]. I'd like to catch up and fill you in on the happenings up here with my teams.

As far as a 6A playing 1A, there has to be a story behind that.

MAHS Just started playing FB they only had 4 games last year and were taking anyonoe and everyone who would play them just to get a full varsity schedule. They should ba placed in the 1A region next year to get them at least a region game schedule. You don't know if they got paid to play the 6A game. MAHS does not have a stadium and needs money to build their program.