District 9A

HoopMD

District 9A

1. Moore County – The Raiderettes lost their senior point guard, but with the talent that still remains, don’t look for Moore County to struggle much. They are far-and-away the clear favorites in District 9A, and are, in my opinion, the preseason favorite to bring home the Gold Ball come March. The Raiderettes will be led 5-11 F Heather Vann (Sr.), who is a potential Class A Miss Basketball nominee. Also returning is 5-9 CG Rachel Garland (Jr.), who is one of the more versatile players in the state, and 5-10 F Sarah Raby (So.), who may end up being one of the best players ever from Moore County when her career is over. The Raiderettes top three are plenty talented, and the rest of the bunch is capable of coming in and playing quality minutes. The only real question marks for Moore County is of course their point guard play (who will it be? Garland, who has done it in the past? Kight, who has no experience in that position? Camp? Thomas?) and just how well will these girls mesh with the hard-nosed, no excuses, my way or the highway attitude of their new coach, Bruce Slatten. Slatten has had great success on the boys’ side of the game, but this is his first rodeo coaching girls, and there is a vast difference between the two. I’ve said all along that he could make or break this team, and only time will tell.

2. Forrest – The Lady Rockets lost a ton of talent from last year, the most notable being 2010 Class A Miss Basketball Beth Hawn. At times last year, Hawn literally carried Forrest, who were not nearly the balanced team they had been in the past. Regardless, Forrest is still a very high quality team as they continue to develop strong, well-rounded players in their system. Look for the senior Curtner twins, Christina (5-8 CG) and Anna (5-6 SG), to take the leadership roles for this team. I expect that Christina Curtner will be the go to player for Forrest this year, which will mark the first time in many years (since before Gaby Bussell) that their go-to player for the Lady Rockets will not be an interior player. Forrest should still be very tough defensively and well rounded enough with quality guards like 5-9 Hannah Phifer (So.) and 5-7 Alyson Patton (Sr.) to stay in this second spot.

3. Middle Tennessee Christian School – The Lady Cougars will still be a tough team to contend with despite this being somewhat of a transitional year for them. They graduated their two main go-to players in four-year starter Katie Mullins and main outside threat Alex Martin. However, MTCS should bring in the most talented freshman class after their middle school team went undefeated last season. Look for Senior PG Sara Sims to provide the leadership while most of the offensive production comes from athletic post Julia Howard (Jr.) and many of those stellar freshmen, such as Adams and Peters. If MTCS is able to overcome the lack of experience and is able to utilize all of the young freshman and sophomore talent (assuming that all of them still go to MTCS), then they could surpass Forrest for the second spot, and just possibly, give Moore County a scare somewhere down the road.

4. Huntland – If memory serves me correct, then the Lady Hornets had no seniors last season, meaning, they return everyone for the 2010-2011 season. Huntland had moments last year where they looked like a quality team (remember: wins over both MTCS and Loretto were impressive). However, there were other times when they looked like typical Huntland. With everyone returning, including leading scorer, and main outside threat, Senior SG Chelsea Clark, as well as capable post play from Alexis Smith (So.) and Lindsey Knoer (Jr.), this could just be the year for Huntland to pull even more upsets. Keep an eye on 6-0 incoming Freshman C Nancy Schwartz, who if she has improved since middle school last year, could provide Huntland with even more depth and size in the post.

5. Cascade – The Lady Champions lost do-it-all guard M.K. Potts to graduation last season. They do, however, return a fairly strong sophomore class that got a lot of playing time last season as freshman. While there are no stars on this team and no one even close to the skill level that Potts was at, there are some solid players that should keep Cascade near the middle of the pack. Look for most of Cascade’s offensive production to come from the post, as 5-10 F Jessica Popp (Jr.) should become the go-to player on the offensive end. Surrounding her should be some capable sophomore guards, led by 5-3 SG Elora Skeuce and 5-4 PG Haley Edmundson.

6. Eagleville – The Lady Eagles only lost one starter last season, but it was a huge loss for them. The graduation of 6-0 C Jennilee Lenker will be felt greatly this season, as she has literally carried this team for the past three years. She was the Lady Eagles leader in just about every statistical category outside of assists per game, and there is no replacing that this season. Eagleville does have one solid player at the PG spot in Julia Adomowicz (Jr.). Adomowicz will be looked at to carry this team offensively, which is sometimes difficult to do when you are the point guard. She will need for players like Junior C Kelsey Barnes and Junior guards Hannah Mays and Lindsey McRee to have developed stronger fundamental games and become offensive threats, if Eagleville stands any chance of competing this season.

7. Community – In terms of offensive production, no one probably lost more last season than the Viqueens. The girls from Unionville graduated their top three scorers in Aubrey Boyce, Megan Busbee, and Courtney Vassar. Replacing that kind of offensive production and experience will be tough for head coach Allison Layne. I expect that much of the offensive load will be placed on the shoulders of Katie and Brittany Leverette. Each of them showed at times last season that they could score when needed. Megan Smith (So.) could provide some much needed scoring as well, and Megan Busbee’s younger sister, Hannah, will need to step up her game to help keep Community in the hunt this season.

8. F.C. Boyd Christian – Poor F.C. Boyd should seriously look into going into Division II or just playing as an independent. It is very hard for such a small private school as them to compete in any sport, let alone girls’ basketball. Expect another long year the Lady Broncos.

Moore County is definitely the favorite. Forrest and MTCS could challenge them on any given night, but I don't know if either have the tools to beat them. Expect highly competitive games between Forrest and MTCS for that 2nd spot, as that could go either way. Huntland is the dark horse, and I feel they may just have enough this season to really be a pain to a couple of the teams above them. Cascade could slide into the top four if those freshmen have improved from last season, but my gut says their fifth. Everyone else is stuck at the bottom.

Ahh the much-hyped freshman class from MTCS. They were very successful in middle school. However, there will be a substantial piece of that talent missing when the high school season opens. Too bad because MTCS would have had a legitimate chance for a gold ball.

Hellooooo CoachT!!! Cannot wait (as usual) for the Lady Rockets to take the floor this season! It will be a VERY interesting year as we have some ladies who are ready to step it up....particularly some seniors who have been waiting in the wings...you know who you are!!! As always, pt12 gave a spot-on run down of our District and it will not be easy!! Go Lady Rockets!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What has happened to MTCS? At Moore Co only what 23 points in a game? Have they fallen that far off or are they missing players?

I believe MTCS was without 2 of there regular players dont know that for sure but I know there #12 wasn't there. But dont beleive it woulda mattered a whole lot MC was shooting the lights out I believe they nailed 9 3's in first half kinda called of the dogs right before half or coulda been ALOT worse. If they continue to get that kinda shots from Howell, Garland, and Thomas when teams ZONE out the inside its OVER!

I focus more on boys' basketball but I have kept up with the girls more than usual this season. Here is my take:

1. Moore Co. (No gold ball this season, but they should finish the district slate without a loss)

2. Forrest (If they are hitting 3's they could give Moore Co. a run)

3. Huntland (Decent size and depth)

4. Eagleville (Team is fast and Adamovicz and Mays are very good, have strong post player with Barnes)

5. Cascade (Big loses+lots of youth will hurt them, might be rolling by tournament time)

6. MTCS (I am calling for them to fall way back down to earth, early scores seem to back it up)

7. Community (with we were better but bottom line is we are lacking size and speed)

8. FC Boyd (no comment needed)

I focus more on boys' basketball but I have kept up with the girls more than usual this season. Here is my take:

1. Moore Co. (No gold ball this season, but they should finish the district slate without a loss)

2. Forrest (If they are hitting 3's they could give Moore Co. a run)

3. Huntland (Decent size and depth)

4. Eagleville (Team is fast and Adamovicz and Mays are very good, have strong post player with Barnes)

5. Cascade (Big loses+lots of youth will hurt them, might be rolling by tournament time)

6. MTCS (I am calling for them to fall way back down to earth, early scores seem to back it up)

7. Community (with we were better but bottom line is we are lacking size and speed)

8. FC Boyd (no comment needed)

I was wrong in my earlier thoughts on MTCS being better than they really are. Based on how bad MC beat them they must be not very good. I think Forrest could upset somebody. Maybe tonight against MC.