MBA-Father Ryan

my2cents

Well it's not really a rivalry when 1 team wins for 12 years in a row and looking at 13 or 14 straight wins in just a few hours...

There's more to it than that, although it probably has a bearing, at least from the MBA side. The rivalry probably hit its height in the '70's (which Ryan dominated, 6 wins to 4). The rivalry was based on a number of factors, such as proximity, similarity (up until '70, both were all male), the willingness to play at the highest classification, and the fact that their games were generally important in determining who won the NIL AAA-West championship. Further, they were both private schools who had outlasted most of the other private schools nearby who had competed at the same level (thinking of Duncan, CMA, and Castle Heights). Further, re-districting had changed some of MBA's public school rivalries: Litton had been a major game for MBA for years, but they were closed, as were lesser rivals like Dupont and East.

And the advent of the playoff system sharpened the rivalry, as both schools played in Dist 11-AAA, during those years, only the district champione went to the play-offs. That made the games between MBA, Ryan, and Overton incredibly important. Not only did you have an arch-rival, but it was a must-win game.

The rivalry became less important when the TSSAA went to 5 divisions (a precursor of the silliness to come), and MBA and BA went to the top level, while Ryan went to AAAA. The games were less important, and in '95 and '96, couldn't be scheduled at all. In those two years, MBA's season ended at the hands of BA, in the first two varsity games between the two. The second game was a double overtime affair, and is probably one of the most exciting games played at Tommy Owen stadium (the most exciting game played on Frank Andrews field, the true, traditional home of MBA football, was the epic '75 MBA-Ryan freshman game, decided by a Ryan kick-return with only a couple of minutes left...yes, I played in it, and 35 years later I'm still bitter).

Which leads us to Div II. It's less a matter of the Ryan game losing importance as it is other games becoming as important, especially since everyone goes into the play-offs. It's still my favorite game of the season. I have enormous respect for BA, but the game just doesn't reach me the way MBA-Ryan does. And the Ensworth game is just too rancorous for me to enjoy a lot. If you were present on these boards a couple of years ago and saw the overpriviliged, underworked children doing the verbal eqivalent of throwing crumpets at one another, you know what I mean.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's difficult to call anything a rivalry when one school has a thirteen (13) year winning streak. If they keep playing the game Father Ryan will one day come out on top for a victory. The crowd for the game last evening was small for both MBA & Father Ryan. It seemed as if MBA only had 2/3 of their side full and Father Ryan had about 85% of their side full of fans. There was a time (60's, 70's & 80's)years ago that while everyone could get a ticket it was almost impossible to find a seat if you didn't get to the game two hours early.

Channel 2/WKRN just showed the 70-yard (or whatever it was) FRHS run that set up its first TD. What a disgrace. The FRHS back is on the ground - his whole body - and he reaches out and places the ball forward. Another FRHS player picks it up and runs with it down to the 1. I understand missed calls here and there, but the call looked horrible in person. It was a disgrace on TV. I was told in advance of this game that this was not a strong crew officiating the game. That was an understatement.

I am usually strongly against officiating criticism; we're all fallible, and we are dealing with underpaid officials who don't do it as a primary job. But that call alone would get a crew

suspended for a few games on the college level.

It was a home game so obviously the refs were going to be giving MBA the "edge" but t seems that their plan backfired In that case

It's difficult to call anything a rivalry when one school has a thirteen (13) year winning streak. If they keep playing the game Father Ryan will one day come out on top for a victory. The crowd for the game last evening was small for both MBA & Father Ryan. It seemed as if MBA only had 2/3 of their side full and Father Ryan had about 85% of their side full of fans. There was a time (60's, 70's & 80's)years ago that while everyone could get a ticket it was almost impossible to find a seat if you didn't get to the game two hours early.

True enough (22,000 at Vanderbilt for the '71 game), but I think you'll find that's the case for all of the schools in the Nashville area. there are a lot more entertainment sources now.

There's more to it than that, although it probably has a bearing, at least from the MBA side. The rivalry probably hit its height in the '70's (which Ryan dominated, 6 wins to 4). The rivalry was based on a number of factors, such as proximity, similarity (up until '70, both were all male), the willingness to play at the highest classification, and the fact that their games were generally important in determining who won the NIL AAA-West championship. Further, they were both private schools who had outlasted most of the other private schools nearby who had competed at the same level (thinking of Duncan, CMA, and Castle Heights). Further, re-districting had changed some of MBA's public school rivalries: Litton had been a major game for MBA for years, but they were closed, as were lesser rivals like Dupont and East.

And the advent of the playoff system sharpened the rivalry, as both schools played in Dist 11-AAA, during those years, only the district champione went to the play-offs. That made the games between MBA, Ryan, and Overton incredibly important. Not only did you have an arch-rival, but it was a must-win game.

The rivalry became less important when the TSSAA went to 5 divisions (a precursor of the silliness to come), and MBA and BA went to the top level, while Ryan went to AAAA. The games were less important, and in '95 and '96, couldn't be scheduled at all. In those two years, MBA's season ended at the hands of BA, in the first two varsity games between the two. The second game was a double overtime affair, and is probably one of the most exciting games played at Tommy Owen stadium (the most exciting game played on Frank Andrews field, the true, traditional home of MBA football, was the epic '75 MBA-Ryan freshman game, decided by a Ryan kick-return with only a couple of minutes left...yes, I played in it, and 35 years later I'm still bitter).

Which leads us to Div II. It's less a matter of the Ryan game losing importance as it is other games becoming as important, especially since everyone goes into the play-offs. It's still my favorite game of the season. I have enormous respect for BA, but the game just doesn't reach me the way MBA-Ryan does. And the Ensworth game is just too rancorous for me to enjoy a lot. If you were present on these boards a couple of years ago and saw the overpriviliged, underworked children doing the verbal eqivalent of throwing crumpets at one another, you know what I mean.

KWoodruff... your post just takes me back in time. It was so much simpler then as we had A,AA,AAA and a lot of great rivalries as HS football was SO different from today. Was it better... that's a debate for another day.

The point of my post was to thank you for "going back" and waking my memories. I graduated from BGA in the mid-late 70s and remember going to places like Castle Heights and CMA. I remember competing against MBA and Father Ryan. I'm guessing you probably played with guys who were friends of mine at MBA... McWherter, Lattimore, Simpson to name a few.

The whole thing is sad (though I'm not really going to lose sleep over it). I went Friday night and you can tell what this series has devolved into. The people at Ryan at this point can't really invest a ton emotionally into a game you've lost 13 straight times, however much you don't like your opponent. MBA can't really derive a ton of satisfaction over beating a team you're now into your second decade of consecutive wins over. Throughout the game most of the conversation was already about the BA game. I guess the days of fighting in the parking lot, painting cannons, bon fires, etc. are long gone.

I don't know if anyone around there really understands what this game used to be like. If you are a senior at MBA, and 17 years old, you were 4 years old when Ryan last beat MBA. They grew up in a world where BA was the only game that mattered. I suspect someone explaining to them what "Ryan Week" used to mean is like describing what it was like to travel by horse and buggy to work every day.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone around there really understands what this game used to be like. If you are a senior at MBA, and 17 years old, you were 4 years old when Ryan last beat MBA. They grew up in a world where BA was the only game that mattered. I suspect someone explaining to them what "Ryan Week" used to mean is like describing what it was like to travel by horse and buggy to work every day.

Well stated!

It is sad to see how far this great rivalry has fallen. The new Brentwood Academy rivalry is good for these kids, but it lacks the history. To your point, I'm certain that some of the kids at these schools think that MBA-Brentwood Academy has "history", but it is different when at age 30, an MBA alumnus can talk to a 75 year old MBA alumnus about the Ryan game and still see the passion and fond memories in his eyes. Not only may he remember his game against Ryan, but he may also remember your game against Ryan.

By the way, I was reading military history a few nights ago and ran across the story of "Father Ryan" from the Civil War... fascinating! I feel an even greater appreciation for the school and its heritage.

Roll Red Roll!

To your point, I'm certain that some of the kids at these schools think that MBA-Brentwood Academy has "history", but it is different when at age 30, an MBA alumnus can talk to a 75 year old MBA alumnus about the Ryan game and still see the passion and fond memories in his eyes. Not only may he remember his game against Ryan, but he may also remember your game against Ryan.

By the way, I was reading military history a few nights ago and ran across the story of "Father Ryan" from the Civil War... fascinating! I feel an even greater appreciation for the school and its heritage.

Roll Red Roll!

That's not passion, it's an undying hatred that loses none of its intensity as the years pass. And if my conversations with Ryan grads of my age are any indication, they feel the same about us.

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan 3

MBA 0 Halftime

Ryan has a 48 yd field goal....MBA's offense has been badly out of synch, and Ryan has made two good stops on 4th down.

Ballgame. 7-3 MBA. The most poorly executed game I have seen MBA play. Anything like that takes the field again and the season will be over. If Ryan had a QB who could throw, or recievers who could catch, MBA would be starting basketball and wrestling tomorrow.

Ballgame. 7-3 MBA. The most poorly executed game I have seen MBA play. Anything like that takes the field again and the season will be over. If Ryan had a QB who could throw, or recievers who could catch, MBA would be starting basketball and wrestling tomorrow.

Mercy that was painful. Untimely penalties. Bad decisions to go for it on 4th down (Ryan stopped 3...all very questionable play calls). Hero of the night was wr #19. Unbelievable game. Nice game from qb. Great great defensive performance. Gonna have to open it up next week. Very little running room up the middle; no explosiveness.