Sub-state match ups

clifford20

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Summertown defeated Nashville Christian 3-2 to advance to the Boro -

Does anyone know if it is a requirement for four officials for Sub State Matches? NCS lost in Summertown due to a parent line judge with only two TSSAA Officals for the match. I have seen four officials at two of the Regional games I have attended and need to verify what the TSSAA Requirements are. Similar to regional and Sub State Basketball where it is required to have 3 Ref's. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Riverdale loses in 5 to Soddy after being up 2-0

Indy sweeps Wilson Central

Siegel beats Cookeville 3-1

Its a little difficult to sit here and post the drama which happened tonight in the sectionals in which Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8 played becasue of the obvious circumstances which happened in the matches played and it will be obvious I don't have all the details but I will post them as soon as I get them. The matches were pressure packed and full of emotion.

First lets go to Siegel and a very emotional matchup between two old friends from the old 7AAA two years ago when Cookeville came off the plateau and rolled to the Siegel Nation to not only to try to pick up an invitation to State but to extend the Coaching time of a Legend and very popular in Cookeville Volleyball with over 500 wins, Coach Karen Brooks. It was very evident that Cookeville and Coach Brooks came there to win. The emotion was there when the games started and bowled over afterwards but Siegel won a hard fought match not unlike the others Coach Brooks coached against Siegel the past number of years at the school. It was hard nosed and hard fought the way Karen Brooks coached but it was fun to watch. It was fitting that she was beaten by an up and coming young coach which had a simular style and was just as tenacious. Coach Ann Mullins had to match every move the Cookeville coach made and the fans at both schools appreciated their efforts. Mullins, I am sure was drained after having to win over two top notch schools, Cookeville and Riverdale, the past two days. This is heavy duty, hard nosed very strategic play. Nothing was left on the court and both coaches did not allow anyone's effort to slow down. it was great volleyball.

While I do not have all of the details in the Soddy Daisy/Riverdale matchup, the drama there was just as great. Coach Lorri Johnson knew before the games started that Soddy had been beaten by Riverdale twice in Tournaments this year in 2 out of 3 matchups. She also knew that her matchup had some other implications since she was defending the record of AAA Chattanooga for going to the State since the other AAA School from Chattanooga had been beaten and I would think she challenged her school. Coach Jerry Snider of Riverdale felt somewhat easier since he had played and beaten Soddy twice. Riverdale won the first two games of the match and if the matchup was 2 out of 3 it was over but this one was 3 out of 5 and a gutty Soddy Daisy came from behind with some great play and beat Riverdale 3-2 and has qualified for the State. To say the extremely hard matches in two days did not effect the schools is likely an understatement. This was with tension and pover and some travel problems when Riverdale was late to the match after sitting on the interstate coming in to Chattanooga for some time waiting to move. Its not unlike many other schools having to do the same when making the trek to Chattanooga. its happened many years. Some say the schools create accidents and bottlenecks about this time to see if schools will just give up and go home.

So its Siegel and Soddy Daisy in the State tournament from Region 3 and 4. The boro is now filling up with great schools with great teams, great schools, and great Coaches. I would think that Coach Johnson and Coach Mullins are breathing a sign of relief. But this is happening all over the State and is the competition that Tennessee Volleyball and its fans expect. See you in the Boro.

Munford beat Houston 25-21, 25-19, 22-25, 25-17 to advance to the State Tournament!

In a very surprising turn of event, the AAA school out of Munford won their matchup with Houston and again will be in the State tournament. The "Flyin Hawaiian" Scarlett Gable and team mates won 3-1 in an upset to some. The regions in the far west will send Collierville and Munford.

Soddy Daisy won their 19th straight match, downing Riverdale 3-2. The Lady Trojans have not lost in over a month. Ironically, Soddy's

last 2 losses were to Riverdale, losing 2-0 twice in the same tournament. Soddy now has all their players back from injuries and has

won 30 of their last 32 matches, shuting out their opponents in 21 of those matches.

Soddy Daisy has won 49 matches and lost 11.

Congratulations to Riverdale last night for giving a great effort and showing a "lot of class."

Edited by coachjohnson

Goodpasture defeats Harpeth 3-2.

Much more to this story than 3-2..this was a great volleyball from start to finish..Harpeth wins first game, Goodpasture the second, Harpeth the third and had the Lady Cougars down 20-17 and serving in the fourth contest but could not seal the deal. Lady Cougars come back and win the fourth game 25-23 and win the final 16-14.

The saying "Shame one team had to lose" fits this closely contested Sub State Game.

Great job by both teams as Harpeth goes down in Sub state two years in a row...tuff to swallow by a great group of girls, coaches and parents.

Its a little difficult to sit here and post the drama which happened tonight in the sectionals in which Districts 5, 6, 7, and 8 played becasue of the obvious circumstances which happened in the matches played and it will be obvious I don't have all the details but I will post them as soon as I get them. The matches were pressure packed and full of emotion.

First lets go to Siegel and a very emotional matchup between two old friends from the old 7AAA two years ago when Cookeville came off the plateau and rolled to the Siegel Nation to not only to try to pick up an invitation to State but to extend the Coaching time of a Legend and very popular in Cookeville Volleyball with over 500 wins, Coach Karen Brooks. It was very evident that Cookeville and Coach Brooks came there to win. She had announced her retirement at the end of this season. The emotion was there when the games started and bowled over afterwards but Siegel won a hard fought match not unlike the others Coach Brooks coached against Siegel the past number of years at the school. It was hard nosed and hard fought the way Karen Brooks coached but it was fun to watch. It was fitting that she was beaten by an up and coming young coach which had a simular style and was just as tenacious. Coach Ann Mullins had to match every move the Cookeville coach made and the fans at both schools appreciated their efforts. Mullins, I am sure was drained after having to win over two top notch schools, Cookeville and Riverdale, the past two days. This is heavy duty, hard nosed very strategic play. Nothing was left on the court and both coaches did not allow anyone's effort to slow down. it was great volleyball.

While I do not have all of the details in the Soddy Daisy/Riverdale matchup, the drama there was just as great. Coach Lorri Johnson knew before the games started that Soddy had been beaten by Riverdale twice in Tournaments this year in 2 out of 3 matchups. She also knew that her matchup had some other implications since she was defending the record of AAA Chattanooga for going to the State since the other AAA School from Chattanooga had been beaten and I would think she challenged her school. Coach Jerry Snider of Riverdale felt somewhat easier since he had played and beaten Soddy twice. Riverdale won the first two games of the match and if the matchup was 2 out of 3 it was over but this one was 3 out of 5 and a gutty Soddy Daisy came from behind with some great play and beat Riverdale 3-2 and has qualified for the State. To say the extremely hard matches in two days did not effect the schools is likely an understatement. This was with tension and pover and some travel problems when Riverdale was late to the match after sitting on the interstate coming in to Chattanooga for some time waiting to move. Its not unlike many other schools having to do the same when making the trek to Chattanooga. its happened many years. Some say the schools create accidents and bottlenecks about this time to see if schools will just give up and go home.

So its Siegel and Soddy Daisy in the State tournament from Region 3 and 4. The boro is now filling up with great schools with great teams, great schools, and great Coaches. I would think that Coach Johnson and Coach Mullins are breathing a sign of relief. But this is happening all over the State and is the competition that Tennessee Volleyball and its fans expect. See you in the Boro.

It was very difficult to accept the news coming from Chattanooga that Riverdale had lost thier Secional Match with Soddy Daisy. While strong competitors in 7AAA, the success Siegel has had over the past number of years grated on Riverdale more than Siegel. it grated on Coach Jerry Snider more than anyone. The Big Bear is a winner and he and his wife have lived Riverdale Volleyball for some time. To get to state and beat the state's best is his goal and this years team was very special. Early injuries did not help the team. Kirsten Taylor, a great player, went down with an ankle injury. A very good Club player and Senior, she will play with someone next year. Stephanie Click( excuse the reference) is a beast in the middle, a fine jumper and player around the net. Both players played club the last few years. While I don't have her name, the development of a setter at Riverdale this year helped them a lot along with the improved play of Chelsy Ross who next year will be one of the States top players.

The Big Bear seems to have developed a great program with players filling out his roster for next year. He and Riverdale will have some time getting over the trip to Chattanooga. Its a schools chance to meet a goal. The goal is closer and it is very obvious that 7AAA Volleyball overall is much stronger this year although Siegel's current domination does not reflect it. Riverdale, Blackman, Smyrna, and Oakland along with laVergne are knocking down the door to be better. This poster appreciates the play and the improvement and the next few years will be interesting.

Announcements