Banning PRAYER at a football game!

Bleedingblue

I dont believe that I have to have a prayer said over a loud speaker for my prayer to be heard. I think a moment of silence would be sufficient and cover all the bases.

I don't think it is that we have to have it said. More so that we want the prayer said at our games. Aside from the obvious religious reasons that prayer should be in everything, it just seems like its a part of any sport. Maybe thats just my take on it. But I do get what you are saying.

I don't think it is that we have to have it said. More so that we want the prayer said at our games. Aside from the obvious religious reasons that prayer should be in everything, it just seems like its a part of any sport. Maybe thats just my take on it. But I do get what you are saying.

I'm a Christian as well and I enjoy prayer in all forms, that being said I think we have to respect other religions and those who aren't religious as well. I think conversions can be done much more successfully through actions than words anyhow.

I'm a Christian as well and I enjoy prayer in all forms, that being said I think we have to respect other religions and those who aren't religious as well. I think conversions can be done much more successfully through actions than words anyhow.

Like I said, I do get what you are saying. And a very valid point it is. I think our religion should be respected as well as other religions. Actions are a great way for people to show their religion(or lack of) and it being said before the game could be a simple reminder to the athletes and fans that God is always watching. And a reminder like that could change anyone actions, for the better I hope.

• Upvote 1

1.) I think donkey makes a great point about tolerance of other religions' right to exercise. It is good food for thought.

2.) Here's how I see it. You have the no establishment clause and the freedom to exercise clause. Each person at a football game has a right to pray on their own or with a group of people under the freedom to exercise. However, if said football game is at a public school and the prayer is being led over the loudspeaker, that would be a government run school imposing christian beliefs on all of the attendees. That would be considered establishment because the school is run by the government and if everyone in attendance is forced to listen to the prayer, even if they are of a different religion, that is a government run program establishing Christianity or whatever religion as its belief. This scenario is only for public schools. Private schools can do whatever they want in regards to religion.

That is my viewpoint based strictly on the laws and not on any personal beliefs.

3.) I believe that prayer is a good thing and people can pray however they want. However, under the constitution, they cannot do it over the loudspeakers in public schools. What I would suggest is that if you feel strongly enough about this issue, you should try to gather up as large a group as you can and pray in unison before the games. Perhaps you could get the entire fan base to do so and you could invite visiting fans to join you. That is about the best you could do under the circumstances.

The phrase "separation of church and state" is generally traced to 1802 from Thomas Jefferson and the U.S. Supreme Court has currently interpreted it since 1947, to mean that religion and government must stay separate for the benefit of both. It has since been present in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court.

Private schools can pray all game long over the p.a. system if they like. They can actually turn the game into a mini-prayer service complete with hellfire, brimstone, talking in tongues, handling snakes...whatever they feel like because it is a PRIVATE school.

Per the recognized AND UPHELD law of the land, a public taxpayer funded school does not. If it is such a big deal to people, they certainly have the right to send junior to a church school and in many cases, they do. But just to be clear, nobody has the right to turn a sporting event at a public school into a church service of ANY denomination.

Edited by nrgrizzlies

They're just upholding the Constitution. The Supreme Court ruled this about ten years ago, there was a huge fuss about it then, surprised so few in this thread remember that.

Anyway, I hadn't heard about any school actually complying with the ruling until now. Good for them. It only takes one courageous act to get the ball rolling.

I do not understand how people can try to get prayer banned and call it freedom of speech. It is very frustrating to see our society taking steps backwards. We allow a few people whom are mad at the world and their own life to strike out and hold some of our most precious freedoms and customs hostage. If some one does not agree with prayer at an event, stay home!! There are things that happen in my everyday life that I do not like and I do not agree with, but I deal with them like a man should and try to make things better through understanding rather than ridicule and persecution. People against prayer do not use logic, and will do anything they can to destroy the fabric of our society. They should not be persecuted, for that is what they would do to us, they should be ignored and their voice allowed to fade. Attention should not be given to them. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE GAMES WE LOVE

As an atheist, I will say the vast majority of that statement is utter bull crap. "We allow a few people who are mad at the world and their own life to strike out and hold some of our most precious freedoms and customs hostage." I'm not mad at the world, I'm not mad at my own life. I'm certainly not trying to take any of your precious freedoms or customs hostage. "If someone does not agree with prayer at an event, stay home." That sentence is ignorance and nothing more. So by your standards; Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Atheists, etc. shouldn't be at a football game because prayer is going on. "People against prayer do not use logic, and will do anything they can to destroy the fabric of our society." That statement sounds more like hate mongering than anything else. I use logic every single day of my life, and as someone who has quite a background and knowledge of U.S. history, I can assure you that the fabric of our society is much more complex and ongoing than what you probably think it is. And I, along with most of the people you view as "mad at the world and at their own life" are in no way, shape, or form trying to destroy the fabric of a society that is just as much ours as it is yours. "They should be ignored and their voice allowed to fade." Ignorance and hate again. This is America, everyone deserves a voice and the right to voice their opinion. Noone, I repeat, Noone is taking away your, or anyone else's right to say a prayer. But when we're at a public event with hundreds, and sometimes thousands of people, I think its safe to say that with all those different people of different backgrounds, that we might want to leave the "group lead" prayer at home or at church. If you, or your kid wants to pray before or after a game, that's fine. Noone is stopping you. You can say it out loud if you want to, or you can say it silently if you want to. But I have a younger brother who plays football, and on his team there are two Jewish kids, two muslim kids, and a few who practice no religion at all. I don't believe having an entire football team kneel down and say a prayer will make God any more happy or satisfied than he would be if those prayers are said individually.

Another poster made a good point, how would you feel if some of these people brought towels or cloths to put on the ground facing the east to praise Allah? Would you feel as strongly about they're prayer as you do your own? Probably not. You need to broaden your view and realize that there are people out there who's views differ from your own. And believe it or not, most of those people are harmless. They aren't out to get you, they aren't out to destroy OUR society, they're here enjoy the same rights, freedoms (freedom of religion and freedom FROM religion) and privelges as you are. And that includes being able to attend a football game without having to face such conflicts.

• Upvote 2

Went to Goodpasture on Thursday night for Sub State volleyball game..it was refreshing to hear a prayer before the game and I didn't see any student or parent affected by the prayer.

And what is a Wisconsin-based "freethinking" group demanding and putting their nose in the school business of a school in Tennessee...give me a break.

I hope Soddy-Daisy fights this and wins..Good Luck guys and God Bless America,or can I say that on Coacht.

Hogan Out :thumb:

this is not only a reflection on state officials, but sadly on this nation as a whole.. this nation has backed away from what has made it a great nation and a light to all other nations around the world... sad to see the backbone of this country shattered..

Exactly, but hey we dont want to offend those who come here from other countries w/ our prayers b/c they have a different belief/religion..... :rolleyes: