How much does a state title cost?

mikescott

Cleveland money man Allan Jones always seems to be supplying the Cleveland Wrestling Team with enough money to buy an outrageous facility and coaching staff. How much money does he pour into the program? You would think a man like himself would realize he's getting a poor return on investment by them not achieving a state title yet, or even defeating Bradley. To what extent does money increase success?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleveland money man Allan Jones always seems to be supplying the Cleveland Wrestling Team with enough money to buy an outrageous facility and coaching staff. How much money does he pour into the program? You would think a man like himself would realize he's getting a poor return on investment by them not achieving a state title yet, or even defeating Bradley. To what extent does money increase success?

Jones has been a great friend to wrestling. Hundreds of people have used the facility he helped build and he has spent money in many other places beside Cleveland. His money, his business how he spends it. I wish there were more people like him that loved wrestling. He makes things better while you ponificate and do nothing other than annoy. A gadfly by comparison. Go back under the bridge troll.

actually, if you look at the money he has also donated to other local schools, his investment there is "Warren Buffett" like.

Maj you are very ignorant. I never said what Allan Jones does is wrong or is bad for the sport of wrestling, so stop putting words in my mouth that i never said. No matter how much money he has given to other teams, Cleveland has recieved much more and no matter how much other teams use their facility, Cleveland uses it more. I wish my son could attend Cleveland because I believe they have a superior coaching staff compared to anyone in the state by far. All I am asking is why are they still sitting in Bradley's shadow. I know Bradley and many other teams have good coaches, I am saying Cleveland has an abundance even with the loss of Coach Eslinger and Mike Hatcher. I love how Jones has paid to have the stat tourny televised and everything he does, nothing against the man. Learn to read and stop trying to start a fight in everything Maj. Randy Savage has more sense than you do.

Maj you are very ignorant. I never said what Allan Jones does is wrong or is bad for the sport of wrestling, so stop putting words in my mouth that i never said. No matter how much money he has given to other teams, Cleveland has recieved much more and no matter how much other teams use their facility, Cleveland uses it more. I wish my son could attend Cleveland because I believe they have a superior coaching staff compared to anyone in the state by far. All I am asking is why are they still sitting in Bradley's shadow. I know Bradley and many other teams have good coaches, I am saying Cleveland has an abundance even with the loss of Coach Eslinger and Mike Hatcher. I love how Jones has paid to have the stat tourny televised and everything he does, nothing against the man. Learn to read and stop trying to start a fight in everything Maj. Randy Savage has more sense than you do.

Nobody other than you is trying to start any fights. You make stupid statements and resent it if you get called on it. 2 whole days on coach T and you are an expert on everything. What a guy.

Nobody other than you is trying to start any fights. You make stupid statements and resent it if you get called on it. 2 whole days on coach T and you are an expert on everything. What a guy.

Thanks for yet another pointless post. Since when do you have to be on CoachT for a certain amount of time to have an opinion on something? T

Since when is success defined solely on state championships or beating a rival. How is it productive to call out a wrestling philanthropist like Mr. Jones? He has given his money to the wresting community on local and state levels at every age group from AAU to college and beyond and your comments show extreme disrespect and serious misunderstanding to how the world conducts business. There are those in this world that give and those that take. ????????? Many individuals may be in debt to Mr. Jones at 20% interest, but the wrestling community can never repay him for his generosity.

Please start this thread later in the year when the Bradley, Cleveland, Walker Valley faithful are on here.

Forever Lurking,

Dogless

Since when is success defined solely on state championships or beating a rival. How is it productive to call out a wrestling philanthropist like Mr. Jones? He has given his money to the wresting community on local and state levels at every age group from AAU to college and beyond and your comments show extreme disrespect and serious misunderstanding to how the world conducts business. There are those in this world that give and those that take. ????????? Many individuals may be in debt to Mr. Jones at 20% interest, but the wrestling community can never repay him for his generosity.

Please start this thread later in the year when the Bradley, Cleveland, Walker Valley faithful are on here.

Forever Lurking,

Dogless

Wow....you guys must be very uneducated not to be able to have the reading comprehension skills to decypher that I am not taking a stab at Mr. JOnes. I'm just saying Cleveland has the best everything and yet can't win a state title or even beat Bradley. To what extent does money translate into success. And since when is success not defined as winning championships and even more specifically beating a rival???

Taking the personal aspect out of it, it is an interesting question. Does the amount of money spent on a program have a direct effect on it's success? In my opinion, you can have the greatest support structure money can buy(facilities, transportation, equipment, coaches, etc.) and still have an "unsuccessful" program. I believe it's the intangibles that make the program. The coaching philosophy, participation, motivation and desire of the athlete outweigh the money aspect of the program. In my opinion, the answer to the question is money does have an impact as it brings attention to the program but ultimately, it is what can't be bought that makes a successful program.

Wow....you guys must be very uneducated not to be able to have the reading comprehension skills to decypher that I am not taking a stab at Mr. JOnes. I'm just saying Cleveland has the best everything and yet can't win a state title or even beat Bradley. To what extent does money translate into success. And since when is success not defined as winning championships and even more specifically beating a rival???

LOL.....I love this.

You are right, it means exactly what you posted, no other meaning could be taken from your original post.

LOL.....I love this.

You are right, it means exactly what you posted, no other meaning could be taken from your original post.

not trying to fight, nor get too far into this, since I don't know a ton about Cleveland wrestling. But, if you re-read the post, you can take it a different way.

At first when I read it, I was along the lines of most of you in that I thought he was taking a cheap shot at this man, and Cleveland wrestling. But, when I read through it again, I can see a 2nd view. Not sure exactly which way he is meaning, becuase it's impossible to read into someone's words and understand their feelings unless they are gifted at writing. But, the other side I see is that he is pointing out that no matter how much money you put into a program, that does not guarentee you a title. And he is using Cleveland as an example.

Thank you threeguyspop, finally got an answer with some substance. I'm right there with ya. As a dad of a child at Central High I can't bank on my son getting the best stuff, but if he wants to be the best I feel he can. Some money is obviously needed to have success due to the need of mats, shoes, weights, etc., but I don't feel better mats, shoes, weights, etc. have a direct correlation on success. The stuff that school's such as Cleveland have is nice, but not a necessity. I just think Cleveland is a perfect example in D1 of how money can't buy success. To stretch a bit more I also feel D1 schools have the same capability of beating the top D2 schools through hard work and believe it to be silly how Bradley refuses to wrestle D2 teams. But they make a good argument with the D2 teams being able to recruit and I respect their decision. Baylor may win on recruiting or hard work, but not through super facilites and I believe Cleveland is proving that today.