BGA at Christan Bros

muffin

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the Ryan over MBA upset last week, so this week BGA is my surprise upset over CBHS. BGA has gotten better as the year has progressed (except for McCallie game), They beat a Franklin team who is still in the DI playoff after beating Oakland. Lost a close one to MBA. They protect their QB by blocking with 7 lineman and he can pick a defensive backfield apart.

Only seen CBHS play MUS this year, really wasn't overly impressed. A solid team ripe for an upset.

BGA 35 CBHS 30

Edited by shakinthefat

I missed the Ryan over MBA upset last week, so this week BGA is my surprise upset over CBHS. BGA has gotten better as the year has progressed (except for McCallie game), They beat a Franklin team who is still in the DI playoff after beating Oakland. Lost a close one to MBA. They protect their QB by blocking with 7 lineman and he can pick a defensive backfield apart.

Only seen CBHS play MUS this year, really wasn't overly impressed. A solid team ripe for an upset.

BGA 35 CBHS 30

In high school football you can never rule out an upset. However, I don't anticipate that on Friday night, even thought the Brothers may come out a bit flat after the bye week and somewhat of a lackluster performance to end the regular season against St. Benedict. The stats point to a low scoring game based on the strength of the CBHS defense, which ranks as #1 in Div II-AA for points allowed at 11.2 per game. Keep in mind they have not allowed more than 20 points to an opponent all season, so the 35 projection for BGA seems quite inflated. My expectation is a well-played game on both sides of the ball, with CBHS covering their 7.2 margin of victory spread plus a slight kicker for home field advantage. Final score CBHS 20 - BGA 10. GO PURPLE WAVE!

BGA is #1 in DII AA pass offense and Brothers is #8 in pass defense. That is where BGA's 30+ points will come from Friday night.

Sounds like a great matchup then. Championships are typically defined by teams with strong defenses, so I'll side with the Brothers on this one. I believe they are also one of the statistical leaders in time of possession? Best way to keep BGA's pass attack off the field is to control the ball with an effective running game that takes time off the clock. CBHS has done that all season and has the backfield to continue that presciption in the playoffs. One final point on BGA's passing prowess: CBHS played 3 of the top 5 conference teams in passing offense and won each of those contests (MUS, Briarcrest & SBA). So don't be fooled by the #8 ranking for the Brothers. More meaningful number is Red Zone D and points actually hitting the scoreboard (e.g., you can bend but don't break)!

Edited by shelby63

Sounds like a great matchup then. Championships are typically defined by teams with strong defenses, so I'll side with the Brothers on this one.

A weak offense makes a defense look strong. CBHS played 6 teams that were not very good offensively. Four had loosing records, SBA 0-3 in DII, and Kingsbury a Class 2A team that CBHS beat 42-7, not much offense.

A weak offense makes a defense look strong. CBHS played 6 teams that were not very good offensively. Four had loosing records, SBA 0-3 in DII, and Kingsbury a Class 2A team that CBHS beat 42-7, not much offense.

Haste makes waste my good friend. CBHS never played Kingsbury this year. However, the Brothers did play 10 other programs and compiled a very respectable 9-1 record, with quality wins against Germantown, ECS, BCS & MUS. Only loss was to a Whitehaven team that went 6-0 in conference play and who will contend for the 6A title. Where are the BGA quality wins this year? Against Franklin, Marshall County, or Fr. Ryan? I think not! May the best team win.

I stand corrected about Kingsbury. That was MUS.

But not Brothers was not very impressive this year, especially against teams with loosing records.

Melrose (4-7) win by 8pts

White Station (5-6) win by 7pts

Millington (4-6) win by 18pts

Clarsdale (4-7) win by 7pts

SBA (6-5) weakest West DII AA win by 16pts (BGA beats SBA by 29pts)

MUS - squeaked out a win last seconds.

Sorry but I'm not impressed, still think BGA will upset.

I stand corrected about Kingsbury. That was MUS.

But not Brothers was not very impressive this year, especially against teams with loosing records.

Melrose (4-7) win by 8pts

White Station (5-6) win by 7pts

Millington (4-6) win by 18pts

Clarsdale (4-7) win by 7pts

SBA (6-5) weakest West DII AA win by 16pts (BGA beats SBA by 29pts)

MUS - squeaked out a win last seconds.

Sorry but I'm not impressed, still think BGA will upset.

Guess we'll have our answer this time tomorrow night. From what I understand, CBHS has never played BGA. So let the rivalry begin. Safe travels from Nashville. Bring plenty of fans to fill up Tom Nix stadium. It's one of the nicest high school venues in western TN.

CBHS hasn't spanked anyone this year, just beat teams. Our defense has been the strong point, but the offense grinds things out. Don't be fooled by numbers, thats a big mistake in H.S. football. Hopefully we will be a healthy as any game we've played tonight. Our last game against St. Benedict we had several starters out, and they just plain want to beat us more than any other team they play. Last week SBA threw 6 int's one for a td, against BGA. I feel the guys are ready for BGA's challenge, i'm sure they will bring it.

CBHS hasn't spanked anyone this year, just beat teams. Our defense has been the strong point, but the offense grinds things out. Don't be fooled by numbers, thats a big mistake in H.S. football. Hopefully we will be a healthy as any game we've played tonight. Our last game against St. Benedict we had several starters out, and they just plain want to beat us more than any other team they play. Last week SBA threw 6 int's one for a td, against BGA. I feel the guys are ready for BGA's challenge, i'm sure they will bring it.

Excellent post 'Brothers'. I couldn't agree more with your comments about this years team. Nothing flashy, nor is the personnel as skilled or as 'hyped' up as we have seen in prior years. However, from the games I have watched, the team shows great chemistry, consistency, and character. They never seem to panic, which will serve them well in post-season play where the level of competition gets better and better. I have a good feel for the 2010 Brothers and expect them to prevail over the next few weeks and play for a state championship. A rematch of the 2005 title game against MUS could certainly be in the cards.