Sullivan South offseason thread

2000southreb81

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi boys! Little update on BTaylor...

It was a lonely afternoon on the Emory & Henry campus.

The colorful turf at Fred Selfe Stadium was covered in a chilled blanket of snow. The students were away on holiday break and only a handful people were inside the King Center.

As usual, Don Montgomery was hard at work in his cozy office with a notepad and telephone.

Over the past few weeks, the E&H football coach has taken a comprehensive examination of his program. With the help of a small but loyal crew of assistant coaches, the ambitious Montgomery is determined to restore the glory of a storied program which once ruled the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.

E&H fans had visions of a championship after the Wasps began the 2010 season with four straight victories against non-conference foes. Thanks in part to injuries and defensive breakdowns, E&H experienced five consecutive ODAC losses before closing the season in style with a 27-3 win against conference rival Guilford.

Since replacing Lou Wacker as the E&H boss in 2005, Montgomery has led the Wasps to three winning seasons. But there has been some grumbling among E&H fans and alumni who feel the Wasps should be contending for the playoffs instead of posting .500 records.

“If they think they are impatient, then they should spend a couple days at my house,†said Montgomery, referring to his detractors. “If I could just snap my fingers and help our team win a conference championship, I would do it. I want that in the worst way.â€

Selling job

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, the E&H coaches began the grueling task of recruiting. Along with canvassing Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, Montgomery and company have mined fertile areas such as Atlanta, Knoxville, Jacksonville, Fla., Columbia, S.C., and northern Virginia.

“By December 18, we probably had visited 500 schools,†Montgomery said.

For major college football coaches and fans, the first Wednesday in February is vital. Boosted by the glare of ESPN cameras, National Signing Day has become a phenomenon where dreams are realized.

Meanwhile, the recruiting process in the non-scholarship world of Division III requires a mix of salesmanship and perseverance. Some athletes prefer the focus on academics in Division III, while others are simply eager for the opportunity to play.

“In Division III, I don’t think you can specify exactly what you are looking for,†Montgomery said. “We’re looking to recruit any athlete that catches our attention and has good grades.â€

The Wasps must replace three receivers, plus add depth in the secondary and line corps.

Of course, the biggest loss is at running back where E&H must somehow compensate for the graduation of record-setting folk hero Caleb Jennings. The Wasps never recovered this season after Jennings suffered an ankle injury in the sixth game at Washington & Lee.

The loss of Jennings was compounded when reserve tailbacks William Pearl, Adam Pugh and Marquis Young suffered injuries. With the dynamic Jennings on the sidelines, the Wasps were forced to improvise on offense.

“Caleb is gone. But I’m not going to sit around and say that we can’t win football games because of that,†Montgomery said. “We’ve got to find another way to feel comfortable with somebody else running the ball.â€

Jennings displayed his elusive moves and quickness in a recent small college all-star game held in Minnesota.

“I don’t think Caleb’s ankle was 100 percent, but he still had two really good punt returns,†Montgomery said. “Caleb has been in Minnesota training since that game, and we’re hoping to get him in tryout camps in Virginia Tech and Tennessee.â€

Retooling

The ODAC has increasingly become a pass-happy league, where the offensive emphasis is on timing and precision instead of brawn. Montgomery hinted that the E&H offense will have a more up-tempo look for 2011.

“It’s going to be adjusted in a way that will reflect a little bit of spark to our kids,†Montgomery said. “I’m not at liberty to tell you what we are going to do, but the changes will be pretty noticeable beginning this spring. Maybe we haven’t been exciting enough.â€

The emergence of quarterback Dustin Beck was one of the highlights for the Wasps in 2010. After serving as an apprentice during his first two seasons at E&H, the steady Beck passed for 1,753 yards and 10 scores while completing 62 percent of his throws.

“The season was good from an individual standpoint, but that isn’t what football is about,†said Beck, who earned honorable mention All-ODAC honors. “I’ll never be a person to make excuses nor allow a teammate to make any, but we had a lot of adversity to overcome. We progressed and became better as a whole.â€

Beck said the Wasps are eager to build off the season-ending 27-3 victory over Guilford, which featured a command performance from Jennings.

“We will prepare for this season with a chip on our shoulder. The weight room is top priority until spring practice,†Beck said.

Offensive line and strength coach John Bear has left the program, but Montgomery said the remainder of the coaching staff will return intact next season. The E&H strength and speed programs will be revamped.

“What we’re doing on offense, defense and special teams is being heavily analyzed,†Montgomery said. “Whenever you are not as successful as you’d like to be, then you go back and see what adjustments need to be made.â€

Big picture

E&H fans have reason to be optimistic for next season.

Linebacker Shane Wicks, who led the Wasps with 100 tackles two years ago, has decided to transfer back to E&H after playing at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise this past season.

Also returning will be first-team All-ODAC defensive back Daniel Woods along with second-team All-ODAC picks Daniel Preston (defensive end), Matt Turchin (kicker) and T.J. Frazier (punter).

E&H should also benefit from a junior varsity team that did not lose a game in 2010. Former Sullivan South standout Bobby Taylor, a 5-foot-7 strongman with quickness, was the star of the JV team as a freshman.

The good news also extends to the classroom, where Montgomery said nearly 60 percent of his players have recorded grade-point averages of 3.0 or better.

Montgomery has maintained his busy schedule despite recently tearing his quadriceps tendon in a fall at his home.

A surgical procedure left Montgomery with 100 stitches and 12 screws in his left leg. Montgomery was unable to attend the Dec. 18 NCAA Division III national championship game between Mount Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater in Salem, Va.

“The accident happened a week before the Mount Union game, and that pretty much took my vacation,†said Montgomery, who served as an assistant coach at Mount Union for 27 years.

As the recruiting process continues, Montgomery said he embraces the challenge of steering the E&H program back to championship contention.

“Whenever you are not as successful as you’d like to be, you go back to your plan and see what adjustments need to be made,†Montgomery said. “All I know is that I work for a great school that has a great alumni base.

“We haven’t failed on effort and we haven’t failed on knowledge. We just need a little pat on the back from Dr. Luck to help get our confidence and swagger back.â€

agregory@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Greg_BHCSports | (276) 645-2544.

That's great to hear about Bobby.I can remember what a loss it was when he left Robinson after the 7th grade.Bobby has always had a great workout ethic and it has paid off for him.I would say that I just don't understand why more young men don't have that in high school but we all know that's an easy answer.Blondes,Brunettes,Redheads,and Video games.

You could begin to use a little common sense and rule out some of the outlandish rumors that you hear. Much of what has been "rumored" would be infeasable (I think that is a word) to put into action, considering the added costs imposed on an already "broke" system. Even Kingsport City Schools don't have that kind of money. If you would do that, jhilts wouldn't have to "shock" you back into the real world.

Okay..from now on we will just ask you..I mean you know it all.Could you please give me tonight's winning lottery number's. :roflol: All jokes aside no one knows whats going to happen. And for shocking me back in the real world...I don't think so.He can come and try to shock me anytime he wants. :thumb:

Hi boys! Little update on BTaylor...

It was a lonely afternoon on the Emory & Henry campus.

The colorful turf at Fred Selfe Stadium was covered in a chilled blanket of snow. The students were away on holiday break and only a handful people were inside the King Center.

As usual, Don Montgomery was hard at work in his cozy office with a notepad and telephone.

Over the past few weeks, the E&H football coach has taken a comprehensive examination of his program. With the help of a small but loyal crew of assistant coaches, the ambitious Montgomery is determined to restore the glory of a storied program which once ruled the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.

E&H fans had visions of a championship after the Wasps began the 2010 season with four straight victories against non-conference foes. Thanks in part to injuries and defensive breakdowns, E&H experienced five consecutive ODAC losses before closing the season in style with a 27-3 win against conference rival Guilford.

Since replacing Lou Wacker as the E&H boss in 2005, Montgomery has led the Wasps to three winning seasons. But there has been some grumbling among E&H fans and alumni who feel the Wasps should be contending for the playoffs instead of posting .500 records.

“If they think they are impatient, then they should spend a couple days at my house,†said Montgomery, referring to his detractors. “If I could just snap my fingers and help our team win a conference championship, I would do it. I want that in the worst way.â€

Selling job

On the Monday after Thanksgiving, the E&H coaches began the grueling task of recruiting. Along with canvassing Northeast Tennessee and Southwest Virginia, Montgomery and company have mined fertile areas such as Atlanta, Knoxville, Jacksonville, Fla., Columbia, S.C., and northern Virginia.

“By December 18, we probably had visited 500 schools,†Montgomery said.

For major college football coaches and fans, the first Wednesday in February is vital. Boosted by the glare of ESPN cameras, National Signing Day has become a phenomenon where dreams are realized.

Meanwhile, the recruiting process in the non-scholarship world of Division III requires a mix of salesmanship and perseverance. Some athletes prefer the focus on academics in Division III, while others are simply eager for the opportunity to play.

“In Division III, I don’t think you can specify exactly what you are looking for,†Montgomery said. “We’re looking to recruit any athlete that catches our attention and has good grades.â€

The Wasps must replace three receivers, plus add depth in the secondary and line corps.

Of course, the biggest loss is at running back where E&H must somehow compensate for the graduation of record-setting folk hero Caleb Jennings. The Wasps never recovered this season after Jennings suffered an ankle injury in the sixth game at Washington & Lee.

The loss of Jennings was compounded when reserve tailbacks William Pearl, Adam Pugh and Marquis Young suffered injuries. With the dynamic Jennings on the sidelines, the Wasps were forced to improvise on offense.

“Caleb is gone. But I’m not going to sit around and say that we can’t win football games because of that,†Montgomery said. “We’ve got to find another way to feel comfortable with somebody else running the ball.â€

Jennings displayed his elusive moves and quickness in a recent small college all-star game held in Minnesota.

“I don’t think Caleb’s ankle was 100 percent, but he still had two really good punt returns,†Montgomery said. “Caleb has been in Minnesota training since that game, and we’re hoping to get him in tryout camps in Virginia Tech and Tennessee.â€

Retooling

The ODAC has increasingly become a pass-happy league, where the offensive emphasis is on timing and precision instead of brawn. Montgomery hinted that the E&H offense will have a more up-tempo look for 2011.

“It’s going to be adjusted in a way that will reflect a little bit of spark to our kids,†Montgomery said. “I’m not at liberty to tell you what we are going to do, but the changes will be pretty noticeable beginning this spring. Maybe we haven’t been exciting enough.â€

The emergence of quarterback Dustin Beck was one of the highlights for the Wasps in 2010. After serving as an apprentice during his first two seasons at E&H, the steady Beck passed for 1,753 yards and 10 scores while completing 62 percent of his throws.

“The season was good from an individual standpoint, but that isn’t what football is about,†said Beck, who earned honorable mention All-ODAC honors. “I’ll never be a person to make excuses nor allow a teammate to make any, but we had a lot of adversity to overcome. We progressed and became better as a whole.â€

Beck said the Wasps are eager to build off the season-ending 27-3 victory over Guilford, which featured a command performance from Jennings.

“We will prepare for this season with a chip on our shoulder. The weight room is top priority until spring practice,†Beck said.

Offensive line and strength coach John Bear has left the program, but Montgomery said the remainder of the coaching staff will return intact next season. The E&H strength and speed programs will be revamped.

“What we’re doing on offense, defense and special teams is being heavily analyzed,†Montgomery said. “Whenever you are not as successful as you’d like to be, then you go back and see what adjustments need to be made.â€

Big picture

E&H fans have reason to be optimistic for next season.

Linebacker Shane Wicks, who led the Wasps with 100 tackles two years ago, has decided to transfer back to E&H after playing at the University of Virginia’s College at Wise this past season.

Also returning will be first-team All-ODAC defensive back Daniel Woods along with second-team All-ODAC picks Daniel Preston (defensive end), Matt Turchin (kicker) and T.J. Frazier (punter).

E&H should also benefit from a junior varsity team that did not lose a game in 2010. Former Sullivan South standout Bobby Taylor, a 5-foot-7 strongman with quickness, was the star of the JV team as a freshman.

The good news also extends to the classroom, where Montgomery said nearly 60 percent of his players have recorded grade-point averages of 3.0 or better.

Montgomery has maintained his busy schedule despite recently tearing his quadriceps tendon in a fall at his home.

A surgical procedure left Montgomery with 100 stitches and 12 screws in his left leg. Montgomery was unable to attend the Dec. 18 NCAA Division III national championship game between Mount Union and Wisconsin-Whitewater in Salem, Va.

“The accident happened a week before the Mount Union game, and that pretty much took my vacation,†said Montgomery, who served as an assistant coach at Mount Union for 27 years.

As the recruiting process continues, Montgomery said he embraces the challenge of steering the E&H program back to championship contention.

“Whenever you are not as successful as you’d like to be, you go back to your plan and see what adjustments need to be made,†Montgomery said. “All I know is that I work for a great school that has a great alumni base.

“We haven’t failed on effort and we haven’t failed on knowledge. We just need a little pat on the back from Dr. Luck to help get our confidence and swagger back.â€

agregory@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Greg_BHCSports | (276) 645-2544.

Congrats to Bobby,I know you and Greg are very proud.Best of Luck !!! :thumb:

Way to go BT. Could end up a .....?(That dude that the Jets let go and starred for the Pats this year) Yeah, that guy.

I'll say BT and some of the others are sorely missed at South. They were leaders and made it fun for some of the younger players, even when times were tough. Especially, when times were tough. Not sure how fun it is nowadays.

All the best to Bobby and thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

So I guess we need a thread to rename South. I'll throw my suggestion out here. We will call it...Rebel Yell High. I know, I know...Jack is thinking...Stacy Carter Vocational School.

No, no. Your missing the obvious. It has to be the Pactolus Panzies!!!!!!!!! After all, they have that femanine color pallot already. Now that's funny. Roll Tribe!!!! :roflol:

Sullivan South Rebels 2011

8/19 @ Enka,NC loss

9/02 @ D-B big loss

9/09 @ Gate City,Va. another embarrassing loss

9/16 Tn. High loss

9/23 @ Elizabethton loss

9/30 @ Science Hill loss

10/7 Volunteer finally a win

10/14 Crockett win #2

10/21 Boone loss

10/27@Central win #3

3-7 The end of SS High :roflol:

Don't get your panties in a wad guys, it's only February and it's all in good fun. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!