Tullahoma at Columbia

binns37388

I was not making excuses for the football team losing because of the band, PA announcer, horn, lights, etc. Obviously Columbia played better Friday night.

I was trying to point out that the band was there when others said they were not. Yes, some band members were absent. But the band played pep tunes from the stands just like they always do so there was no lack of pep tunes. But even the pep tunes could not get the majority of the Tullahoma fans excited, although T-shirts and small footballs seemed to so maybe we should invest more in those. The band did not perform on the field at halftime but the football team is in the locker room so that should have no effect. Yes, I would have preferred the full band in uniform performing at halftime but they are not required for a football game; only the teams, coaches, and officials. Everything else (bands, PA announcer, concession stands, fans, cheerleaders, mascots, etc.) just adds to the atmosphere. I am sure some of us have been to games with only a few fans in attendance. The band member’s first dedication is to the band because that is his/her activity. Their participation at a football game is a supporting role. The football player’s dedication is to the football team. So what if some of the best Columbia football players have another activity, in a supporting role, scheduled on this Friday morning or afternoon. Wouldn’t you want them to skip it so that they are fresh for their primary role on Friday night in the semi-final game? What if you are just a fan and not a football player? What if you are an alumnus of Columbia Central and the University of Alabama (possibly a season ticket holder) or Auburn University? Do attend the Iron Bowl in Tuscaloosa Friday afternoon or the semi-final game in Columbia Friday night? One thing I have learned is that there will always be scheduling conflicts and you have to make decisions. So I cannot fault the band members who chose to be at their best for their competition. I am not sure how many followed onpoint's post in this thread with a link to the results from the mid-state competition. Tullahoma had twice as many students make the mid-state band as the next closest high school and more that made the all-state band. I am not sure how many football players, in a supporting role, were there to see the band members depart the high school on Saturday morning or were there to congratulate them when they returned Saturday night.

The speaker on the visitor's side closest to the visitor locker room is way too loud in my opinion, unless there are no speakers on the home side and the sound has to travel across the field. I have been to all 13 Tullahoma games this year and the game at Columbia was the only time I found the speakers too loud and the PA announcer annoying. But the annoying part may have not been as noticeable if not for the volume. I think the cheer leading should be done by the cheerleaders (isn't that their role?), music played by the band (not recorded music on the speakers), the fans to do the yelling in support of their team (not the PA announcer), and the reporting of the action on the field by the PA announcer. But maybe I am wrong. I did not notice the horn as much since it was on the other end of the field.

As far as the stadium lights, there is no way that a fan should be able to disable the lights either intentionally or accidentally. For this to happen a second time should have implications for those responsible, as this is not simply a matter of being a game delay but a safety and security issue. That showed the stadium staff did not have "control" of the situation. TSSAA requires "a restraining fence around the field or a stadium configuration that allows for control of spectator access to playing area" with the key word being "Control". The delay to the game is minor in comparison to the potential safety and security implications of the lights going off. I am sure the TSSAA would be interested to make sure it does not happen a third time on Friday night.

Go luck to the Columbia Lions on Friday as they represent District 8AAA in the semi-finals!

Edited by Volunteer87

I think the problem is when the band director forgets that the school has a marching band and not a competition band. I for one think that if there is a football game then the band MUST attend! I also understand that the kids in the band do compete, and for the most part this is how they really get rewarded :unsure:

This was not a competition for the band. It was an individual audition that each band member participated in (or those that chose to) from all over the middle tennessee region and was sanctioned by the MTSBOA (http://www.mtsboa.com/) which is one of three regions under the TMEA (http://tnmea.org/index.aspx) which is the state authority for music education somewhat like the TSSAA is for sports. THIS WAS A STATE SANCTIONED EVENT and was not an event to be RESCHEDULED for anything.

This is an individual event(in which THOUSANDS of band students attend). Each student goes into a room with a "number" and there is a divider in the room. The judges behind the screen tell the band student on the other side (who the judges cant see) to play scales, the prepared piece and sightreading. This audition lasts maybe 3-4 minutes. A SNEEZE in the middle? NO DO OVERS. You have to cough? NO DO OVERS. You mess up and there is NO DO OVER. The judges simply say, "Audition is over. THank you."

These band kids, that everyone doesn't understand...well lets put it this way...they work ALL YEAR LONG bettering themselves to perform well in this ONE "3-4 Minute" moment. There isn't 10 games to impress a college coach, college reruiter and there is no highlight reel. There is just a judge that can't even see you and your just a number to them. AT the end of the day,... the best players get listed and get to put that on their college resumes. My son finished 1st in the midstate and made allstate. He has recieved letters from 2 Division 1 schools this week. That Friday he had been personally invited to attend a workshop by a college professor at the college he wants to attend. Last week, based on his ability & accomplishments (like the midstate/allstate auditions)he has been invited to tour Europe for 20 days this summer that only 66 kids from Canada, the US and Central America were invited to.

He is working for his college scholarship just like any athlete would do.

AND THIS is the "why" concerning the band. I hope it explains the "MUST" where these students were concerned. Bottom line, Tullahoma did have a band there at that game.

As stated above they are a support role, not a factor in a game.

Edited by onpoint

This was not a competition for the band. It was an individual audition that each band member participated in (or those that chose to) from all over the middle tennessee region and was sanctioned by the MTSBOA (http://www.mtsboa.com/) which is one of three regions under the TMEA (http://tnmea.org/index.aspx) which is the state authority for music education somewhat like the TSSAA is for sports. THIS WAS A STATE SANCTIONED EVENT and was not an event to be RESCHEDULED for anything.

This is an individual event(in which THOUSANDS of band students attend). Each student goes into a room with a "number" and there is a divider in the room. The judges behind the screen tell the band student on the other side (who the judges cant see) to play scales, the prepared piece and sightreading. This audition lasts maybe 3-4 minutes. A SNEEZE in the middle? NO DO OVERS. You have to cough? NO DO OVERS. You mess up and there is NO DO OVER. The judges simply say, "Audition is over. THank you."

These band kids, that everyone doesn't understand...well lets put it this way...they work ALL YEAR LONG bettering themselves to perform well in this ONE "3-4 Minute" moment. There isn't 10 games to impress a college coach, college reruiter and there is no highlight reel. There is just a judge that can't even see you and your just a number to them. AT the end of the day,... the best players get listed and get to put that on their college resumes. My son finished 1st in the midstate and made allstate. He has recieved letters from 2 Division 1 schools this week. That Friday he had been personally invited to attend a workshop by a college professor at the college he wants to attend. Last week, based on his ability & accomplishments (like the midstate/allstate auditions)he has been invited to tour Europe for 20 days this summer that only 66 kids from Canada, the US and Central America were invited to.

He is working for his college scholarship just like any athlete would do.

AND THIS is the "why" concerning the band. I hope it explains the "MUST" where these students were concerned. Bottom line, Tullahoma did have a band there at that game.

As stated above they are a support role, not a factor in a game.

Congrats to YOU and your son!