Arby's Classic 2010

dirtydawg15

I think that Columbia is the favorite. Also Jordan Cross(Sullivan East) has a torn ACL-Out for year. I go to East and news spread quick.

this is true about jordan i talked to his dad today. he is planning on surgury soon. this is bad to happen on his senior year. i know he was looking forward to holding almost every record they have and enjoying his senior year. my prayers go out to him and his family. i will be looking forward to him playing somewhere in college next year.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is true about jordan i talked to his dad today. he is planning on surgury soon. this is bad to happen on his senior year. i know he was looking forward to holding almost every record they have and enjoying his senior year. my prayers go out to him and his family. i will be looking forward to him playing somewhere in college next year.

Always a tragic break to see something like this happen. It was a pleasure to watch him work during the Rocky Top League, and I'm sure colleges are well aware of his talent.

God speed to Jordan and his family.

As a fan of the lone Ohio team (Mentor), I thought I would put my $.02 in. Mentor is coming off a 23-4 season that included a trip to the Ohio big school state Final Four. Mentor lost in the state semifinal in overtime. They bring back their best all-around player from last year's team (Cole Krizancic). He was first team All-State last year as a junior and averaged 27 ppg. The Cards return two other starters besides Krizancic. Mentor would be widely considered as one of the top 10 teams in Ohio.

Mentor played in a pretty decent holiday tournament last December in San Diego. They won that tournament by beating three pretty talented teams - including a win in the final over Massillon Jackson, an Ohio team. That Jackson team later went on to win the big school state championship.

I will definitely be checking this forum/thread out between now and through the tournament. I won't be making the trip, but it sounds tempting.

Can anyone help me with some info on the 8 TN teams in this? Especially info on Dobyns-Bennet, Mentor's first round opponent. I looked them up and see they have a pretty good history, including a run into the TN state tourney last year.

Edited by MentorFan

http://www.btcs.org/Default.asp?PN=%27News2%27&SubP=%27DNewsStory%27&gn=&DivisionID=&DepartmentID=&SubDepartmentID=&NewsID=24106&ShowNav=&StoryGroup=Current

Another good article on the Classic, including a schedule. Still no bracket up on the official page for the Arby's Classic, but the schedule can help piece it together as long as the setup remains the same for last year.

Arby's Classic Schedule

Monday, December 27

Game 1--Urspring, Germany vs. Greeneville, 1 p.m.

Game 2--Wasilla, Alaska vs. Hampton, 2:30 p.m.

Game 3--Mill Creek, Georgia vs. Sullivan East, 4 p.m.

Game 4--Mentor, Ohio vs. Dobyns-Bennett, 5:30 p.m.

Game 5--Sumter, S.C. vs. Gatlinburg-Pittman, 7 p.m.

Game 6--Columbia, Georgia vs. Gate City, 8:30 p.m.

Tuesday, December 28

Game 7--Loser Game 1 vs. Loser Game 2, 2:30 p.m.

Game 8--Winner Game 1 vs. Tabernacle Baptist, Grand Bahamas, 4 p.m.

Game 9--Clear Creek, Texas vs. Tennessee High, 5:30 p.m.

Game 10--Southwind, Tennessee vs. Science Hill, 7 p.m.

Game 11--Winner Game 2 vs. Hunter Huss, N.C., 8:30 p.m.

Wednesday, December 29

Game 12--Loser Game 3 vs. Loser Game 4, 9 a.m.

Game 13--Loser Game 5 vs. Loser Game 6, 10:30 a.m.

Game 14--Loser Game 8 vs. Loser Game 9, 12 p.m.

Game 15--Loser Game 10 vs. Loser Game 11, 1:30 p.m.

Game 16--Winner Game 3 vs. Winner Game 4, 5 p.m.

Game 17--Winner Game 5 vs. Winner Game 6, 6:30 p.m.

Game 18--Winner Game 8 vs. Winner Game 9, 8 p.m.

Game 19--Winner Game 10 vs. Winner Game 11, 9:30 p.m.

Thursday, December 30

Game 20--Winner Game 12 vs. Winner Game 13, 9 a.m.

Game 21--Winner Game 14 vs. Winner Game 15, 10:30 a.m.

Game 22--Loser Game 16 vs. Loser Game 17, 12 p.m.

Game 23--Loser Game 18 vs. Loser Game 19, 1:30 p.m.

Food Lion/Frito Lay Slam Dunk Contest, 5:30 p.m.

Game 24--Winner Game 16 vs. Winner Game 17, 7 p.m.

Game 25--Winner Game 18 vs. Winner Game 19, 8:30 p.m.

Friday, December 31

Game 26--Winner Game 7 vs. TBA*, 11:30 a.m.

Game 27--Winner Game 20 vs. Winner Game 21, 1 p.m.

Game 28--Winner Game 22 vs. Winner Game 23, 2:30 p.m.

Fun Factory 3-Point Contest, 4 p.m.

Game 29--Loser Game 24 vs. Loser Game 25, 5 p.m.

Game 30--Winner Game 24 vs. Winner Game 25, 6:30 p.m.

*Loser of Game 12, 13, 14 or 15 will play in this game

• 2 weeks later...

The Mentor Cardinals (OH) opened their season this past weekend. The Cards were the No. 7 ranked team in Division I (big schools) in Ohio according to a pre-season poll. Mentor defeated the No. 6 ranked team (Warren Harding) this past Saturday, 85-78. Mentor is 2-0 and only will have a total of four games under their belt by the time they play in the Arby's Classic. My hunch is they will enter the tournament with a 4-0 record, but the next couple of games are not gimmes.

Anybody have some updates on TN teams in the Classic?

Edited by MentorFan

Mentor (OH) continues their winning ways as they improve to 3-0 with a 104-81 win over conference rival Euclid. Mentor is the No. 1 ranked team in the 7 county coverage area surrounding the Cleveland Plain Dealer and is also ranked No. 5 in the state for Division I (big school division) according to Ohio High School Hoops.

I see Science Hill (12-1) and Dobyns Bennet (7-1), Mentor's first round opponent, are the top two ranked teams in the TriCitiesSports.com top 10. Southwind is 8-1 and ranked No. 5 in the Memphis area according to the latest Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen.

Anybody have other updates on teams in the Classic? It is less than two weeks away.

Mentor (OH) continues their winning ways as they improve to 3-0 with a 104-81 win over conference rival Euclid. Mentor is the No. 1 ranked team in the 7 county coverage area surrounding the Cleveland Plain Dealer and is also ranked No. 5 in the state for Division I (big school division) according to Ohio High School Hoops.

I see Science Hill (12-1) and Dobyns Bennet (7-1), Mentor's first round opponent, are the top two ranked teams in the TriCitiesSports.com top 10. Southwind is 8-1 and ranked No. 5 in the Memphis area according to the latest Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen.

Anybody have other updates on teams in the Classic? It is less than two weeks away.

will be one of the best classic if you like high school basketball mentorfan science hill plays db friday the hill gets up and down the floor they play southwind first game that will be a great one hope you get 2 come i was born in clevland ohio myself

will be one of the best classic if you like high school basketball mentorfan science hill plays db friday the hill gets up and down the floor they play southwind first game that will be a great one hope you get 2 come i was born in clevland ohio myself

I would love to be there, but it isn't very practical for me to make the trip. If I had immediate family playing, I would certainly be there. Mentor has won a few big holiday tournaments out west, but this is the first 4-round tournament they have entered. I am interested to see how they do. Anyone know if any of these games are available online through radio?

Jeff, I see you private messaged me, but I don't have access to read that with my free membership.

I would love to be there, but it isn't very practical for me to make the trip. If I had immediate family playing, I would certainly be there. Mentor has won a few big holiday tournaments out west, but this is the first 4-round tournament they have entered. I am interested to see how they do. Anyone know if any of these games are available online through radio?

Jeff, I see you private messaged me, but I don't have access to read that with my free membership.

try [wxsm sports monster[ they do every game you can also listin to the local sports talk on there everyday 6 till 10 @3 till6 thay will have the game on there friday night between db @ s hill Edited by jeffs

My best guesses on the teams with the best chances to win the Arby's Classic:

Mentor (Mentor, OH): The team I know best. The Cardinals are 4-0, ranked No. 1 in the 7-county coverage of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and ranked No. 5 in the state according to JJHuddle/Ohio High School Hoops. The team is scoring around 90 points per game thanks to terrific shooting (52 three-pointers made in four games), great guard play, and controlling a fast paced tempo. Mentor's top two players are senior guards that are committed to playing DII college ball.

Columbia (Decatur, GA): The Eagles were ranked No. 23 in the final USA Today poll at the end of last season after winning the Georgia 3A state title. Maybe they aren't considered as good as last year's team, but Columbia is not dry on talent. 6'7 junior Jarmal Reid is considered one the top players in 2012 class with several offers from the SEC and Big 12. The lone blemish of the season was a two-point loss to Miller Grove (GA), the No. 3 team currently in the USA Today poll.

Southwind (Memphis, TN): The Jaguars are 10-1, ranked No. 4 in the Memphis area according to The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen. Southwind has possibly the top recruit at the Classic with Jonathan Williams, a 6'9 sophomore with offers from Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgetown, and others. Southwind's reputation as "94 feet of heat" will make them a difficult matchup for any team due to their speed, length, talent, and intensity.

Others: Science Hill and Urspring (Germany)