Maryville vs. Oak Ridge

Red Rebels

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greyrider, I think the poster is referring to the time that Coach Blade's Hillsboro team beat Maryville in the state championship game, but failed to mention the outcome of the last two OR/Maryville games which I believe had a combined score of 57-21 in favor of Maryville. In fairness, he did say "in the playoffs".

Ya I know ORKAT , I was just trying to get him to explain it. That was a tough loss, Hillsboro had a good team. It is always tough when you beat yourself especially in that game.

Well judging by your avatar you are WB fan. It has been my experience that many WB fans pull against MARYVILLE so they can possibly experience a victory over them via another team. jmo

Oak Ridge beating Maryville wouldn't benefit me as a William Blount fan, and no special joy would be derived from that, as my Governors have sadly put the pads up for this year. I'm just hoping to watch a good game. And as far as the comment about Coach Blade goes, not many coaches have been able to beat Maryville in the postseason, so it's noteworthy when you play one that has. But I'm sure you already knew that

Understanding my hopeless subjectivity, I've decided to stop waiting around for somebody else to say what I think must be said about the 2011 class of Rebels. What has consistently been said is that the talent in this bunch is "down" from previous and subsequent years. No stars. No recruits. The gap in an otherwise unbroken string of stellar groups of gridiron greats. There is a a measure of truth to some of this. What started out as the biggest freshman class is now the smallest. Yes they got hammered in the 8th grade by Alcoa (who hasn't gotten hammered by this Alcoa bunch - a team I maintain that top to bottom is the best I've seen in Tennessee history ever and I've seen some good ones). But mostly I think this mentality toward the senior class is way, way overblown.

Let me be specific.

Stian Romberg has simply worked his tail off in the classroom, on the basketball court, the weight room and the football field. He's now being recruited by major D1 schools as well as the Ivy League. He represents the very best of Maryville tradition in every way.

Preston Burnett ranks among the speediest in Maryville football legend. Made some great plays for us this year, who knows what he could have accomplished with more touches.

Dez Horne is getting looks from colleges and rightly so. He's fought through a couple of tough injuries this season and may yet prove to be a game breaker. Did you see him run across the field Friday night to make a devastating block that sprung Prevo for another 10-12 yards? Amazing speed and selfless effort. Refreshing in a world of prima donna receivers.

Ditto with Clarence Langley. His quiet, hard working way makes him the prototypical Maryville player.

Jared Miller did nothing short of reinvent himself into a seriously bulked up DE when it became apparent that the Rebels were stacked ahead of and behind him at qb. Bet you didn't realize that he's also been a holder since middle school and owns a piece of Tennessee football history in the form of two placekicking records. More on that in a moment.

Dalton Graumann is the poster boy for Maryville football. Great attitude. Works hard. Fantastic family. He makes everybody around him better.

Nick Coode is the greatest team leader you've never heard of. Don't tell him he's undersized. On second thought, go ahead and tell him. He'll use it as rocket fuel.

Tommy Wilkinson would also be considered undersized in every way but heart. He is a madman on D, and is quite simply the most consistent long snapper I've ever seen in high school. Along with Jared Miller, he's a huge reason that Maryville special teams are so special.

Austin Canfield probably has the most underrated arm of any Maryville qb ever and is a kid you want your daughter to marry.

Zach Sharp - yep he's mine. Any other position besides kicker and everyone would know his stats. Here's a sample: most consecutive PAT's in state history (111). Tied for 2nd in state history for field goals made (32). His 71 yard kickoff average is about 13 yards better than Michael Palardy at UT and with significantly better hang time. Set almost every kicking record at MHS including most career points (246), most field goals, most PAT's (149) longest field goal and with one more point will tie the all time kicking points in a season total of 89. In addition to being a Mr. Football finalist and ranked 16 in the country on Kohlskicking.com, he will start his 59th game Friday night (which I'm told by someone who'd know is a Maryville 1st and quite possibly a state 1st).

Not bad for a "down year."