Dobyns bennett off season thread

WaCoJaCo

The backfield is not set in stone as of yet, especially if we get that one transfer we think we will get. Cook at QB, Swafford and Patrick(if he transfers in from Clinton)at the two runningback positions and the full back could be anyone of a couple from last year. Just depends on who steps it up. Foreman will probably be a receiver. On second thought, the fullback position could be filled by a freshman. The Ketron kid from Robinson is big and strong and is also a middle school track champion and should be considered to compete for that job if the coaches give him the shot. Usually when we are expected to have a great year(last year)we come up short, but it's the years we are supposed to be down a little that we make it a little deeper in the playoffs. So, maybe this year??? I can't wait. :thumb:

Did Paul Slaughter give up football? If the coaching staff runs the same offense, I cannot imagine anyone else lining up at fullback. This should be one of D-B's better football squads in the skill positions.

Oh good grief! This might be the most embarrassing thing I've ever read rolling out of Johnson City and that's saying something. "Science Hill?? Science Hill???" ....talkng any smack about football at all? Really? You've been btch slapped for two decades, you can't keep a Southern Conference college program in your own town, you change coaches like George Michael changes boyfriends, and you even mention football?? Then, the icing on the cake, you challenge us to come over to JC to look at "real gold balls"..........and they're from BASKETBALL!!!!!!! BWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I can't even begin to put into words what a tool you look like. You personifie exactly what D-B fans think of when they picture a topper football fan. I'm thinking that a collection of Elton John and Boy George albums aren't far from your bed. Priceless, absolutely priceless!!

No, you are the most embarrassing thing that came from Kpt. Back when football was dropped from ETSU, there wasn't enough talent in this area (as it is today) to recruit from, including the mighty db. I don't care if it is basketball or marbles, you db fans would get on here and crow till the cows come home if you ever won a state championship. Oh! they did win some back in your days, GENERAL JACKSON. Also, sounds like you know about these guys you're talking about. Didn't I see you walking the JC mall with your boyfriend. HMMMMMMMMMMMM. :roflol:

Edited by thehill23

No, you are the most embarrassing thing that came from Kpt. Back when football was dropped from ETSU, there wasn't enough talent in this area (as it is today) to recruit from, including the mighty db. I don't care if it is basketball or marbles, you db fans would get on here and crow till the cows come home if you ever won a state championship. Oh! they did win some back in your days, GENERAL JACKSON. Also, sounds like you know about these guys you're talking about. Didn't I see you walking the JC mall with your boyfriend. HMMMMMMMMMMMM. :roflol:

Sounds like a South fan has followed Stacy to "JOHNSON" City. :)

Did Paul Slaughter give up football? If the coaching staff runs the same offense, I cannot imagine anyone else lining up at fullback. This should be one of D-B's better football squads in the skill positions.

I think some people will be suprised at the talent Slaughter brings to the fullback position. Playing behind Sensabaugh he hasn't had the playing time he deserved. He's a darn good back and he's going to bring the fans to their feet. Even the Blue hairs. :)

In all due respect I personally feel that ETSU Football could have been resurected solely form NET athletes. 2005-Present has produced plenty of top shelf athletes from this area. I could fill the O and D roster without even going past Morristown. Not all of these athletes are currently playing at the college level and for various reasons but many of them would have loved to stay home and wear the patch of the Bucconeers. ETSU has become a fine medical science school and their computer science department is not too shabby...not to mention their claim to fame...the history department. I am very proud of what ETSU has become and Johnson City in general. All the while their cost has remained one of the lowest in the east. Many will say this success is directly attributable to the deletion of the football program as advocated by Paul Stanton. And I would agree that ETSU football was in many ways an anchor dregging in shallow water to the detriment of the acedemic progress of the school. However, the disease has passed and the time has come for a new beginning. And ETSU's reputation as a sound acedemic institution is rock solid so I see the time is right. Only problem is the local talent might have been reduced from the banner years of recent memory. However, I for one am an advocate and potential supporter.

Just imagine, Curt Phillips, Soloman Duannah, Cody Sensabaugh, Joseph Throp...the list is long and pretty impressive IMOP.

I think some people will be suprised at the talent Slaughter brings to the fullback position. Playing behind Sensabaugh he hasn't had the playing time he deserved. He's a darn good back and he's going to bring the fans to their feet. Even the Blue hairs. :)

Jack, how is Tre' Trammell shaping up? I haven't seen him play since middle school.

Compusa, with all due respect to you as well, I disagree with your assessment of ETSU's standing. Based on what I gather from my constituents that I call on around the Eastern U.S., ETSU has become basically a community college of irrelevancy. Only those here in extreme east Tennessee even know it exists as a general rule. Once in a while I'll get a "didn't you guys used to have a really good basketball team" or "didn't you guys play football in a dome" type question. However, the loss of the main sport, and the loss of so many future high school football coaches that are no longer produced there has neutered the place. That is Stanton's legacy above all in my judgement.

In all due respect I personally feel that ETSU Football could have been resurected solely form NET athletes. 2005-Present has produced plenty of top shelf athletes from this area. I could fill the O and D roster without even going past Morristown. Not all of these athletes are currently playing at the college level and for various reasons but many of them would have loved to stay home and wear the patch of the Bucconeers. ETSU has become a fine medical science school and their computer science department is not too shabby...not to mention their claim to fame...the history department. I am very proud of what ETSU has become and Johnson City in general. All the while their cost has remained one of the lowest in the east. Many will say this success is directly attributable to the deletion of the football program as advocated by Paul Stanton. And I would agree that ETSU football was in many ways an anchor dregging in shallow water to the detriment of the acedemic progress of the school. However, the disease has passed and the time has come for a new beginning. And ETSU's reputation as a sound acedemic institution is rock solid so I see the time is right. Only problem is the local talent might have been reduced from the banner years of recent memory. However, I for one am an advocate and potential supporter.

Just imagine, Curt Phillips, Soloman Duannah, Cody Sensabaugh, Joseph Throp...the list is long and pretty impressive IMOP.

I should have took more interest in ETSU football when we had it.Now,as for the school it's self and what it means to our area,I 'm 100% in agreement with Comp.I think it's not only a fine school but the new dorms and other additions put a lot of bigger schools to shame.Back to the main topic,Roll Tribe and let's get ready for the spring.

Well comp, you are right in some things buddy. Yeah, ETSU has some of the best college education you can get in the East. The Med school and technology programs are some of the best, the regular departments have a good variety of professors, and it can get the job done at a fairly cheap rate. As with all things, though, there have been some changes I have not seen eye to eye with at ETSU. Those cheap rates have gone up time and time again for the school. It isn't getting too cheap anymore, and you see a lot of people looking to Northeast or even UT because it costs less or just the same. Programs have been cut yet tuition has kept going up. It cost me 3,000 my first year at ETSU, and it ended up being 5,000 a year by the time I graduated. Still....I can see that being lower priced than some places, but it is creeping up there with tons of money spent on renovations...but by God no football team? We were LIED (haha sorry I love it) to about the football program being brought back when it was stated that "If we have a football program we will raise tuition" and when all the students voted no.....they turned around and raised tuition anyway.

I'm with you, it is time to bring it back. It is a joke that a University with 15,000 students can not have a football team. It is becoming a Prep school sports association...tennis, golf, soccer, baseball being the only sports they really want to be successful at. In defense of Stanton...who I think is wrong on the football thing... he is not the only one in the ETSU administration that does not want a football team. It will take a ton of community and student support to get it back, but I tell you what I would be more than happy to buy a many season tickets and get in the Pirate Club again to watch some local boys play DI AA ball in JC. Plus, it is where the Musket Bowl can be played again.

To say that ETSU football failed because there is not enough talent in the area is funny. All other sports at ETSU seem to be fine. The problem is, that dome. Nobody like it for football. Face it, the dome is crap for football. The most people ever there for a football game was TN High vs DB way back. And to say the area does not have enough talent (as you say) is a direct slap in the face to the 2nd largest high school in the state with almost 800 more students then DB. Really, this is sad

To say that ETSU football failed because there is not enough talent in the area is funny. All other sports at ETSU seem to be fine. The problem is, that dome. Nobody like it for football. Face it, the dome is crap for football. The most people ever there for a football game was TN High vs DB way back. And to say the area does not have enough talent (as you say) is a direct slap in the face to the 2nd largest high school in the state with almost 800 more students then DB. Really, this is sad

No, according to all the DB faithful they should be able to fill a team with just their players. This area is just terrible for football (DB & SH included). There is hope every year but it never happens. Please don't go back to the national champions at TH or DB is the most winningest program in the nation! We are not living in the STONEWALL age (Oh i meant Stone age).