Summertown @ Lawrence County

volunteercat56

I like the way you think Coach.

You must be little Forrest. I think if Summertown would have practiced a couple times on a fullsize court they would have won the game. What you think tyme? What i just said is about as dumb as what you just agreed with. Welcome to getting your hat handed to you by an average AAA team. and yes i do think we are better than average but to make you feel better i will call us average.

Okay... Maybe amazing was a poor choice of an adjective to describe the dunk. It was impressive that he went up with somebody guarding him, but i guess yall do have a point about it not being just too awesome. What was impressive about the dunk was the circumstances the dunk was under. It came at a time when the outcome of the game was still in question. It truly was one of the turning points in the game in my opinion. Did you see Lawrence County's crowd after this?? They were beginning to quiet down and get tired. Then this spark of energy ignited them and they were electric the rest of the game. This is what was impressive about it to me. So... WCHS COACH, sometimes a dunk is in fact bigger than a 3 point shot simply because dunks are less commonplace.

VandyChris, did you graduate from Summertown? Because if you did, you are not doing much to help Summertown's case for having a good academic program.You are not making intelligent posts at all. This game serves no purpose? This game serves a HUGE purpose. $$$$$$$$$$$. This is the purpose this game serves. Did you see the fans at the game Friday night? All of those fans paid to get in, which benefits the school. It's very simple. It also serves the purpose of shutting up Summertown. Every time y'all have a good year in A, all I hear is "we could beat Lawrence County". Bragging rights and money is what these games boil down to. Summertown will eventually beat Lawrence County, but it WILL NOT be this year. We have a lot of seniors, so maybe next. One more thing: Did Shelley Young not prove himself last game with his amazing dunk. Just Summertown doesn't produce athletes like that doesn't mean you have to hate.

Ok maybe you should re-read what I posted. I am not the one that said that. I was quoting Mickey Dunn and a certain Vice Principal within the Lawrenceburg Elementary School System. They are the ones that say it serves no purpose. I totally agree with you that the county rivalry thing is great and that they bring in a huge gate.

Secondly, Shelley Young's dunk was not that impressive. If I had to classify it it was more of a finger roll than anything. If you want Young to impress me, have him go up with 2 hands and obliterate something. Or for that matter, go straight up with a crowd around him the way the last person from LCHS to dunk on Summertown did, Cedric Wallace.

Lastly, I wouldn't be bragging too much about athletes from LCHS. As I recall, when they were playing the games in the 90's, it was very competitive and and evenly matched series, even though LCHS had a MR Basketball and a few years later a candidate for Mr Basketball. These two guys were Cedric Wallace and Bryant Mitchell. Summertown won their fair share and then some which in part led to Mr Dunn stating that it served no purpose when they stopped scheduling the games back then.

Young's dunk was nice. He made two points off of it. You either make 2 points, get fouled, or miss it, or a combination of them. The WOW factor is as individualized as the players are.

The difference in this game is that the Eagles lost their composure. One of their players had an intentional foul that was uncalled for, as I think the defender was just extremely frustrated. Then there was a technical foul called later in the game. Knowing the player involved, it was probably well deserved; maybe not, as I hope not. I am sure the Eagles will be ready for revenge in their gym. The Wildcats need to be ready for that game and not go into it like they did the Giles County game.

Both teams should have extremely good seasons. Good luck to ALL!

The defender was extremely frustrated? It was in the second quarter and even the Lawrence County Sheriff stated that it shouldnt have been called intentional. On the following Summertown possession, your guard defending the ball simply reached out and slapped the Summertown guard on the hand for no purpose other than to be doing it--purely intentional, but they called it a simple foul. The technical was a wuestionable call at best. Had the charge not been called prior to the technical when the LCHS had his body all over the ball handler in the corner in front of the LCHS bench, the T would have never happened. The correct call would have been a blocking call on the LCHS defender and no T would have ensued.

I am sure SHS will be ready the next time. There will simply be no way they will allow the smallest guy on the court to dominate the boards the way he did in Lawrenceburg, I would put money on it. As for the officiating, it was quite telling that even coaches of LCHS said they would have liked to see a more consistant officiating crew and that he wished they wouldnt have had an effect on the outcome of the game.

The defender was extremely frustrated? It was in the second quarter and even the Lawrence County Sheriff stated that it shouldnt have been called intentional. On the following Summertown possession, your guard defending the ball simply reached out and slapped the Summertown guard on the hand for no purpose other than to be doing it--purely intentional, but they called it a simple foul. The technical was a wuestionable call at best. Had the charge not been called prior to the technical when the LCHS had his body all over the ball handler in the corner in front of the LCHS bench, the T would have never happened. The correct call would have been a blocking call on the LCHS defender and no T would have ensued.

I am sure SHS will be ready the next time. There will simply be no way they will allow the smallest guy on the court to dominate the boards the way he did in Lawrenceburg, I would put money on it. As for the officiating, it was quite telling that even coaches of LCHS said they would have liked to see a more consistant officiating crew and that he wished they wouldnt have had an effect on the outcome of the game.

If by smallest guy on the floor, you are referring to Trent Garland, he has been dominating the boards for his entire career. I don't see that changing in the rematch. Do you think that Summertown will be ready and Lawrence County won't??? You have a good team. I will give y'all that. But, the bottom line is Lawrence County has a better team this year. For your Jordan Chard and Bubbba Clifton, we have Trent Garland, Shelley Young, Andrew Cheatwood(who put up 20 against y'all), Jake Richardson... do I need to continue? I would put money that the next game is more of a blowout than the last one. BTW, if I ask Shelley to tomahawk slam with two hands, would that make you happy? And, since when does a Lawrence County Sheriff's opinion matter to the way the games are officiated? Just sayin!

Edited by volunteercat56

If by smallest guy on the floor, you are referring to Trent Garland, he has been dominating the boards for his entire career. I don't see that changing in the rematch. Do you think that Summertown will be ready and Lawrence County won't??? You have a good team. I will give y'all that. But, the bottom line is Lawrence County has a better team this year. For your Jordan Chard and Bubbba Clifton, we have Trent Garland, Shelley Young, Andrew Cheatwood(who put up 20 against y'all), Jake Richardson... do I need to continue? I would put money that the next game is more of a blowout than the last one. BTW, if I ask Shelley to tomahawk slam with two hands, would that make you happy? And, since when does a Lawrence County Sheriff's opinion matter to the way the games are officiated? Just sayin!

What I am saying is that Summertown made a ton of offensive mistakes that when they correct them will make it a different game. All night long when Bubba was driving into the lane, your defense was collapsing to the middle and Bubba wasnt seeing the open shooters in the corners. If LCHS continues that trend, and Bubba can get the ball kicked out to them it will be a different game. Secondly, Summertown did a horrible job of blocking out on the defensive end where Garland got most of his rebounds. Don't see him doing it again if we block out. As far as you having a better team, you might, I truly don't know the answer to that. What I do believe is that Summertown is very capable of beating LCHS and that Long won't dunk it in Summertown!!! The reason I mentioned the Sheriff was that a neutral party thought it was poorly officiated and he had no dog in the race. I can also say that there won't be 5 charges called against SHS this time.

What I am saying is that Summertown made a ton of offensive mistakes that when they correct them will make it a different game. All night long when Bubba was driving into the lane, your defense was collapsing to the middle and Bubba wasnt seeing the open shooters in the corners. If LCHS continues that trend, and Bubba can get the ball kicked out to them it will be a different game. Secondly, Summertown did a horrible job of blocking out on the defensive end where Garland got most of his rebounds. Don't see him doing it again if we block out. As far as you having a better team, you might, I truly don't know the answer to that. What I do believe is that Summertown is very capable of beating LCHS and that Long won't dunk it in Summertown!!! The reason I mentioned the Sheriff was that a neutral party thought it was poorly officiated and he had no dog in the race. I can also say that there won't be 5 charges called against SHS this time.

Well I am gonna just play truth or incorrect statements at this point...1st: Shelley's last name is YOUNG not Long, which I totally understand your mistype when you live in a town where 90% of the people are LONGS'. 2nd: to say their won't be 5 charges called is stupid because what if they charge 10 times? 3rd'ly: I am not 100% sure but 99%, 1995 was the last year of the rivalry till this year, which made Cedric Wallace a senior therefore Bryant "chickenwing" Mitchell did not play the rivalry game, yet they could've played in a tournament against each other. Lastly: during the years of Cedric Wallace Summertown was very good. ie..going to state semi's with players like Jason Burleson, Jeremy "too cool" Aaron, Doug Riggs, etc. They were extremely good and well coached. I love to read the bickering back and forth because that is part of the rivalry but when you say something please know the facts. I think maybe we should get the sheriff to ref the next game!

Well I am gonna just play truth or incorrect statements at this point...1st: Shelley's last name is YOUNG not Long, which I totally understand your mistype when you live in a town where 90% of the people are LONGS'. 2nd: to say their won't be 5 charges called is stupid because what if they charge 10 times? 3rd'ly: I am not 100% sure but 99%, 1995 was the last year of the rivalry till this year, which made Cedric Wallace a senior therefore Bryant "chickenwing" Mitchell did not play the rivalry game, yet they could've played in a tournament against each other. Lastly: during the years of Cedric Wallace Summertown was very good. ie..going to state semi's with players like Jason Burleson, Jeremy "too cool" Aaron, Doug Riggs, etc. They were extremely good and well coached. I love to read the bickering back and forth because that is part of the rivalry but when you say something please know the facts. I think maybe we should get the sheriff to ref the next game!

Yes I mistyped his name--apology sent. You are wrong on the dates that we last played. We did in fact play when Bryant "Chicken Wing" Mitchell was at LCHS--he was matched up with Aaron Burdette. If I remember it was 1998 the last time we played. Went to the state tournament with Aaron Burdette.

Both teams are pretty good

Both teams play really hard

Both teams respect each other

Both teams rosters are loaded with good kids

Both teams have coaches that are close friends

and the ones that seem to do all the talking, are the ones that have absolutely nothing invested.

Both teams are pretty good

Both teams play really hard

Both teams respect each other

Both teams rosters are loaded with good kids

Both teams have coaches that are close friends

and the ones that seem to do all the talking, are the ones that have absolutely nothing invested.

Great point...Only problem is:

We cannot run.

We cannot jump.

We cannot shoot.

We cannot play defense.

We cannot coach.

But we can run our mouths...

A lot of teams have attempted to block out "TAZ" Garland. Not many have succeeded. He has consistently dominated the boards against guys way bigger than him(Kedran Johnson from Marshall County for the latest example. If you don't know who I'm talking about VandyChris, look him up. He will be playing at the school you say that you love next year.). I'm not saying it won't happen, but that is a big IF saying if we block him out.

Edited by volunteercat56