Centennial,Ravenwood or Summit?

hardtackle

guess most people on this thread work for wilco school system since not much info been posted in last week - any news yet?

or Rutherford as we were on spring break as well.

No news is bad news for Ravenwood I would think. What is going on over there? Why do they take sooooooooo long to make a choice? Anyone heard names of who has interviewed? Whats the deal?

Hello to all the CoachT readers: I have been in Williamson County for 14 years this June when I began as the Coach at Brentwood back in 1997. I have also been at Ravenwood and Page as Coach; I am now the Athletic Director for the Williamson County Schools working out of the central office. As I read over some of the topics and comments that are made about the different schools and coaches in our county I decided to make myself available to the CoachT public for questions; now I know that some questions I will not be able to answer but the ones I do I will keep everyone in facts not rumors.

Thanks

jackd

Jack,

Of all the years you worked your rear end off for Brentwood, Ravenwood, Page, and Williamson County, I have to say you did it the right way and should be proud of your past and current effort and its impact to the football programs in Williamson County. I was amazed how you and then Coach Rector took a dirt field from scratch and made it a thing of beauty. Your impact is unknown to many but you were the one behind the scenes driving the improvement to athletic facilities as these new schools were being built throughout the county. Your dedication, service, and turf knowledge is very much appreciated. You can say that you did it your way and pretty much the right way. :thumb:

Now on to the big question:

It seems Williamson County has taken a back seat to Rutherford County in football the last three years. When all teams are competitive in the Williamson County, it makes all teams better and they go deeper into the playoffs. Since Williamson County Schools dropped the hammer (and I mean a big hammer) in July 2008 with their expanded version of the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act as applied to coaches and support booster clubs, Williamson County High School sports has not been the same and the results are glaring. The net result from these implemented regulations punishes coaches and the teams support organization needed to excel in athletics.

I stood before your predecessor and county schools attorney Jason Golden to ask them to back off these regulations but implement the ones as per the second version of the State law that had corrected the overreach of the initial law. I was told, "The State Regulators/Auditors lives in Williamson County and all they like to do is to stay local and audit Williamson County. Therefore, we need to make sure our system is the one for all to follow."

I had argued the point that the Williamson County regulations were based on the repeal January 2007 State law and HB3278/SB3530 overturned it in January 2008 and replaced it with a new one in May 2008. I held up the HB3278/SB3530 and said "Did you not know this law was repel and replaced with a milder version." Well, I got the "Deer in the headlight look" then passed the governor signed bill over to them to read. Jason Golden said the County School board had adopted this policy during the August 20, 2007 meeting (section 4.503). I said, "Don’t you think the county needs to go back and revisit this policy and correct it to the less restrictive HB3278/SB353 law?" I got the double talk about how hard it is to change policy and the school board wouldn't take it up until late 2008 therefore the 2007 policy will stay in effect.

This went nowhere despite my best effort after meeting with other schools booster clubs to gather support to ask the school board to overturn or support to take legal action to overturn this flaw policy. It seem all anyone wanted to do was moan and groan with no action.

I've learn my lesson here, once a policy gets on the books in Williamson County, it is next to impossible to get it corrected, no matter how flawed. The impact of this policy has been devastating to athletics in Williamson County while the Rutherford, Wilson, Sumner, Blount (including Maryville and Alcoa), and other counties in Tennessee are leaving Williamson County athletics in the dust. It a sad situation Williamson County has done to their athletic coaches and support organization. After seeing how this has impacted the Athletics in Williamson County Schools, is there any possible way to motivate the county to go back and correct this flawed 2007 policy so Williamson County Schools can once again go toe to toe with the likes of Rutherford County in sports?

Thanks,

Rappy

I am curious, are you implying that "money" makes the difference?

Jack,

Of all the years you worked your rear end off for Brentwood, Ravenwood, Page, and Williamson County, I have to say you did it the right way and should be proud of your past and current effort and its impact to the football programs in Williamson County. I was amazed how you and then Coach Rector took a dirt field from scratch and made it a thing of beauty. Your impact is unknown to many but you were the one behind the scenes driving the improvement to athletic facilities as these new schools were being built throughout the county. Your dedication, service, and turf knowledge is very much appreciated. You can say that you did it your way and pretty much the right way. :thumb:

It seems Williamson County has taken a back seat to Rutherford County in football the last three years. When all teams are competitive in the Williamson County, it makes all teams better and they go deeper into the playoffs. Since Williamson County Schools dropped the hammer (and I mean a big hammer) in July 2008 with their expanded version of the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act as applied to coaches and support booster clubs, Williamson County High School sports has not been the same and the results are glaring. The net result from these implemented regulations punishes coaches and the teams support organization needed to excel in athletics.

I stood before your predecessor and county schools attorney Jason Golden to ask them to back off these regulations but implement the ones as per the second version of the State law that had corrected the overreach of the initial law. I was told, "The State Regulators/Auditors lives in Williamson County and all they like to do is to stay local and audit Williamson County. Therefore, we need to make sure our system is the one for all to follow."

I had argued the point that the Williamson County regulations were based on the repeal January 2007 State law and HB3278/SB3530 overturned it in January 2008 and replaced it with a new one in May 2008. I held up the HB3278/SB3530 and said "Did you not know this law was repel and replaced with a milder version." Well, I got the "Deer in the headlight look" then passed the governor signed bill over to them to read. Jason Golden said the County School board had adopted this policy during the August 20, 2007 meeting (section 4.503). I said, "Don’t you think the county needs to go back and revisit this policy and correct it to the less restrictive HB3278/SB353 law?" I got the double talk about how hard it is to change policy and the school board wouldn't take it up until late 2008 therefore the 2007 policy will stay in effect.

This went nowhere despite my best effort after meeting with other schools booster clubs to gather support to ask the school board to overturn or support to take legal action to overturn this flaw policy. It seem all anyone wanted to do was moan and groan with no action.

I've learn my lesson here, once a policy gets on the books in Williamson County, it is next to impossible to get it corrected, no matter how flawed. The impact of this policy has been devastating to athletics in Williamson County while the Rutherford, Wilson, Sumner, Blount (including Maryville and Alcoa), and other counties in Tennessee are leaving Williamson County athletics in the dust. It a sad situation Williamson County has done to their athletic coaches and support organization. After seeing how this has impacted the Athletics in Williamson County Schools, is there any possible way to motivate the county to go back and correct this flawed 2007 policy so Williamson County Schools can once again go toe to toe with the likes of Rutherford County in sports?

Thanks,

Rappy

Jack,

I've learn my lesson here, once a policy gets on the books in Williamson County, it is next to impossible to get it corrected, no matter how flawed. The impact of this policy has been devastating to athletics in Williamson County while the Rutherford, Wilson, Sumner, Blount (including Maryville and Alcoa), and other counties in Tennessee are leaving Williamson County athletics in the dust. It a sad situation Williamson County has done to their athletic coaches and support organization. After seeing how this has impacted the Athletics in Williamson County Schools, is therSchool Support Organizations (Boosters & PTOs) remain subject to audit by the State Comptroller of the Treasury, per TCA 49-2-609; 2008’s HB 3278/SB 3530 attempting to repeal the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act did not pass. The school support laws, TCA 49-2-609 through 49-2-611, can be found at http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode. Maryville Schools’ Procedure 4.13, Rutherford County’s Board Policy 2.404, Williamson’s Board Policy 4.503, Wilson’s Board Policy 4.503, etc., incorporate this law. All Tennessee public school systems are subject to these laws, and our policy is based on the current law.

Neither these laws nor our Board Policies prohibit fundraising; they just add required approvals & monitoring mandated by the State. We did not add to our existing policy any more than the law required. Last year, the Comptroller chose to examine BHS’s booster records pursuant to this law; the State is monitoring our boosters to ensure compliance with the law. Whether or not we are audited, WCS will at all times comply with these laws.

e any possible way to motivate the county to go back and correct this flawed 2007 policy so Williamson County Schools can once again go toe to toe with the likes of Rutherford County in sports?

Thanks,

Rappy

First of all thanks for the kind words; the following is a response by Jason Golden the COO of WCS.

School Support Organizations (Boosters & PTOs) remain subject to audit by the State Comptroller of the Treasury, per TCA 49-2-609; 2008’s HB 3278/SB 3530 attempting to repeal the School Support Organization Financial Accountability Act did not pass. The school support laws, TCA 49-2-609 through 49-2-611, can be found at http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode. Maryville Schools’ Procedure 4.13, Rutherford County’s Board Policy 2.404, Williamson’s Board Policy 4.503, Wilson’s Board Policy 4.503, etc., incorporate this law. All Tennessee public school systems are subject to these laws, and our policy is based on the current law.

Neither these laws nor our Board Policies prohibit fundraising; they just add required approvals & monitoring mandated by the State. We did not add to our existing policy any more than the law required. Last year, the Comptroller chose to examine BHS’s booster records pursuant to this law; the State is monitoring our boosters to ensure compliance with the law. Whether or not we are audited, WCS will at all times comply with these laws.

As the AD for the county I look forward to the day one or more of our WCS teams are back in the State Championship game.

These laws do not keep our booster clubs from doing fundraisers to support our coaches and teams that they support.

Thanks again Rappy if you would like to talk more about this please call me at 615-472-4095.