Best High School Football Coaches in State History

Rainwater

What about these?

1) Dickson HS coach Charlie Daniel from 1977-1986

Wins-81 losses-29 with a State Champinoship in 1980

Under Coach Daniel Dickson HS was always tough and competitive. A true powerhouse under his tenure.

2) Randy Thomas at Springfield HS was very talented and charismatic (who can forget the hat he wore?).Coached from 1993-2002. Winning a State ring in 93, his teams were always exciting to watch and very physical. His record faded toward the end but I believe the school was bumped in classification? Either way he did 'alot' with a little while there.

3) Coutras while at Overton, a legend

4) Milan coach John Tucker from 1969-1993

wins-225 losses-61 ties-2

Daniel was a great coach. His son Chuck is now the head football coach at Creek Wood and a pretty darn good one too. Chuck was previously the head football coach at Hickman County.

A side note on Daniel:

He coached at Cheatham County in 1975-1976 and posted a record of 4-16 in those 2 years. He made the right decision when he went to Dickson and had a wealth of success (81-29 record mentioned above).

Daniel's brother, Bennie, coached at Cheatham County in 1977-1978 and then later returned to coach in 1983-1984. The 1984 Cubs team posted a 9-2 record and defeated Whites Creek in the Bear Booster Bowl.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tommy Owen, Howard Allen, Nick Coutras, Wes Elrod, Bob Cummings, Herschel Moore....All coached in the days of 3 classificationsand all but Elrod were winning games before there were play-offs. In the days of 3 classifications, there were some outstanding coaches who didn't win state championships. All but coutras and Allen coached in the public school system, and relished playing powerful private school football teams. That's another era, and another topic.

& Buddy Brown from Antioch

I chat with him regularly on FB, and my friends who went to Goodlettsville remember him fondly. The only Antioch coach I remember was Warren Dunn, but I've been in exile in Florida for quite a while.

Warren Dunn is and always will be Antioch football in the minds of many. He influenced many young men during his years as a coach at Antioch. I am proud to be one of them.

BOTTOM LINE

The best coach to ever walk a sideline in Tennessee High School Football History in my opinion is Gary Rankin.

5 MAIN REASONS

1.) The man has an overall record of 324-60 in 29 years as a head coach (Smith County, Riverdale, Alcoa)

2.) The man has won 9 state championships in 14 trips

3.) The man has coached in 14 state championship games over the course of the last 18 years

4.) The man has coached 5 seperate 15-0 state championship football teams

5.) PROBABLY THE MOST OVERLOOKED STAT OF THEM ALL: Rankin's overall record in state semifinal contests is a whopping 14-1

• 2 months later...

BOTTOM LINE

The best coach to ever walk a sideline in Tennessee High School Football History in my opinion is Gary Rankin.

5 MAIN REASONS

1.) The man has an overall record of 324-60 in 29 years as a head coach (Smith County, Riverdale, Alcoa)

2.) The man has won 9 state championships in 14 trips

3.) The man has coached in 14 state championship games over the course of the last 18 years

4.) The man has coached 5 seperate 15-0 state championship football teams

5.) PROBABLY THE MOST OVERLOOKED STAT OF THEM ALL: Rankin's overall record in state semifinal contests is a whopping 14-1

I must second this post. Rankin is a clear winner. Multiple state championships with more than one team. This is more than a run of good luck. This guy has talent and leads his players across the finish line.

Not quite that old. I do however remember the largest crowd I have seen being the State Championship at Vandy where I believe Gallatin played Lincoln Co.It seemed the crowd was larger than those the Commodores were drawing at that time.I forget the name of Lincoln Co.'s coach, but they too were a respectable program for a lenghty period. I wonder what the record attendance is for a Championship game? Also, Father Ryan and Maplewood's regular season battles drew large crowds.

Louis (sp?) Thompson was the coach at Lincoln County.

One horse town, no open zones, only one school in the county...Trousdale Co. Satterfields...Clint and Jim B. Sorry I don't have any win/loss stats. Although relatively new to the "head" coaching proffession, Kevin Creasy may be on the list before it's all said and done. Three years as head coach, two titles, only two losses.

Still not convinced Rankin isn't just a tad overrated. Let him go somewhere like back home to Smith Co., win one, then I'll give him all the props in the world. Nothing against Smith Co., but the talent level at R'dale and Alcoa is off the charts, esp. the latter. Here's my point...it's hard to top what he's done at Alcoa, but I think you could take any coach mentioned on this thread, and they would have just as much success, if not more, than Rankin at those two schools. JMO.