District 8AA

springhollar

Area Roundup from last nights game in the Daily News Journal:

Freshmen/JV Girls

Cannon Co. 53

Central Magnet 47

Ashley Brewer had 28 points and 10 rebounds for Central Magnet. Mckenzie White had seven points and 15 rebounds, and Claudia Smith added seven points.

Folks, this game was a lot closer than the score indicates. Central Magnet was down one point at the half and the lead switched back and forth for most of the game. Exceptional play from both teams. The CMS house was rockin and the air was filled with excitement! Congrats to the Cannon County players, fans, and Coaches! Good job CMS Lady Tigers!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly not saying we are going to be playing for District Championships with Livingston Academy or Upperman or anyone else next year. I grew up in the Livingston area (Rickman)and have two family members who played in some of Livingston's State Championship teams, one football, and one girls basketball. My wife and I both have relatives playing for Livingston Academy right now. I know the depth and development that is required for continued success. We lost most of the games we should have lost, such as our varsity games, yet we won several games that even the parents and fans were surprised. Our inagural season consisted of two sophmores, since the school only goes to the Sophmore grade this year. Only one of the Sophmores played basketball prior to this year. The rest of the team consists of 8th graders playing up, or Freshmen and a very few with basketball experience. Some were "other sport" athletes that resonded to the call. Good news is we are a young team that's only going to get better. Locally, we will attact players within Rutherford County that do not want to attend or get lost in the several 2000 student campuses we have. All must meet some pretty serious academic requirements. Were not Riverdale and we don't want to be. Central Magnet will attact some pretty serious players and talent that might have been sitting on the bench for some AAA schools. There is alot of people like me, living in Rutherford County that came from the smaller community schools that have great pride and tradition. Central Magnet has that same feel! Almost every team has a player or two that are familiar to everyone because of their ability to change a game. We have good coaches that are setting the bar high. We believe we can provide a place where a team is just as important as an individual. We've all seen teams like that win a State Championship. Can we compete in this District? Our team certainly thinks so and from what we have seen, not to their surprise. Good luck and see you next year!

Sorry, I wasn't trying to avoid the question! I don't believe we won any of our varsity games. We competed fairly well in a few and got blown out in a few. I know we had three overtime games overall, and won all three, but they were all against good JV teams. Not making excuses or projections! We are not quite ready for prime time and that was evident throughout most the season. Not surprising for a fist year school with about a third of the team, including our season high scorer, celebrating 8th grade night during our last home game. We certainly have improved but we still need a few more pieces of the puzzle to compete next in varsity. 7A watcher is certainly right about "getting better playing tough opponents."

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly not saying we are going to be playing for District Championships with Livingston Academy or Upperman or anyone else next year. I grew up in the Livingston area (Rickman)and have two family members who played in some of Livingston's State Championship teams, one football, and one girls basketball. My wife and I both have relatives playing for Livingston Academy right now. I know the depth and development that is required for continued success. We lost most of the games we should have lost, such as our varsity games, yet we won several games that even the parents and fans were surprised. Our inagural season consisted of two sophmores, since the school only goes to the Sophmore grade this year. Only one of the Sophmores played basketball prior to this year. The rest of the team consists of 8th graders playing up, or Freshmen and a very few with basketball experience. Some were "other sport" athletes that resonded to the call. Good news is we are a young team that's only going to get better. Locally, we will attact players within Rutherford County that do not want to attend or get lost in the several 2000 student campuses we have. All must meet some pretty serious academic requirements. Were not Riverdale and we don't want to be. Central Magnet will attact some pretty serious players and talent that might have been sitting on the bench for some AAA schools. There is alot of people like me, living in Rutherford County that came from the smaller community schools that have great pride and tradition. Central Magnet has that same feel! Almost every team has a player or two that are familiar to everyone because of their ability to change a game. We have good coaches that are setting the bar high. We believe we can provide a place where a team is just as important as an individual. We've all seen teams like that win a State Championship. Can we compete in this District? Our team certainly thinks so and from what we have seen, not to their surprise. Good luck and see you next year!

As mentioned before, you will only improve by playing in a tough district. Sounds like you already have some strong talent to work with. Best of luck against Upperman and LA! Hopefully the weaker teams like Smith and York will be up for yet another challenge.

As mentioned before, you will only improve by playing in a tough district. Sounds like you already have some strong talent to work with. Best of luck against Upperman and LA! Hopefully the weaker teams like Smith and York will be up for yet another challenge.

Thanks Camper! It was exciting to watch the semi-finals last weekend with some of our girls. Looking forward to trying to compete with a very good district.