2010 ALL-State Volleyball

Knoxvb

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is frustrating only because just about every other state in the union has an All-State team. And most years before teams were posted late December. now it is mid January. It's not clear to me why it is taking so long. Other than needing more nominations to vote on for each position. The TSWA rely heavily on coaches to appeal specific players; reading articles and stats when available.

Some coaches market furiously for certain players. (Like the Oscars) Only players nominated can be voted on. Texas homepage clarified this and warned parents, friends and family from posting disappointing comments when their results were presented. Remiinding them that they can not vote on a player if they were not nominated even if they wanted to.

I think you are right. We looked for the Knoxville, Upper Tennessee news account of their selection and have never found it for one reason, only one post of a player and coach of the year for the area. Many have tried to post information by news organizations thru out the State as they have been published. Our fault on this site is that we have tried to cover as much as we know. It could have been an information overload on our part. Where is the final consolidated results, I am not sure nor who does it? With as big of a State and some 350 schools it was a good selection to separate selections by geographical areas by the News organizations. Each was published and reported except East Tennessee. How to consolidate those by one large selection has been done but the last one I saw might have been 3 years ago and it was a result that had a large ammount of players on each team selected for the #1, #2 and #3 team. Who decided that I am not sure. The end results are you know who was in the State, who won their Divisions, who their coaches were and can find who their Club was. There was nothing else but to have seen them personally. Certainly their Scholastic records can be provided likely by the coaches. Your concern is reasonable. Until the last part of the season, we on this site dealt more with schools and not players. The last part of the season many did 'copy" articles of awards which had some stats on them gotten from the Coaches which are the authority for such information and I hope will always be.

Edited by PHargis

• 4 weeks later...

Can't help but wonder what took so long. Really, just curious. I just hope the list is worthy of the wait and that coaches presented truly top players not just their favorites. I admire coaches who really think hard about the overall talent of a player and her position to represent the state. Sports writers you had your work cut out for you depending on the collection of nominations. Many top players participated in the State Tournament-(last year/2010), some played on teams which did not make it to the buro. I have a few I hope will make the list - they are outstanding players and because they have scholarships -college coaches think so too.

I am also curious as to the reason this year's choices are presented so late. Since the season ended Halloween and the All State team is usually nominated, voted and presented before Christmas....... I just can't help but be interested in the timing this year. Congratulations in advance to the players.

TSWA All-State Volleyball

CLASS A

Coach of the year: Jennifer Redman, Signal Mountain

Outside hitter: Rachel Harper, Boyd-Buchanan; Callie Hildebrand, Signal Mountain; Kaitlyn Teeter, Friendship Christian; Kennedy Wade, Grace Christian; Jordana Sands, Madison; Shelby Crenshaw, TCA

Setter: Georgia Paturalski, Signal Mountain; Katie Buchanan, Madison Academic; Alex Guelli, North Greene

Middle hitter: Ali Burroughs, Friendship Christian

CLASS AA

Coach of the year: Jessica Enderle, Page

Outside hitter: Kalyn Helton, Red Bank; Teresa Slade, CAK; Bekah Wolford, Carter; Lakin Pratt, Carter; Molly Locke, Page; Sarah Fulner, Goodpasture

Middle hitter: Rachel Hill, Alcoa; Maelyn Cutshaw, South Greene

Setter: Lauren Lewis, Dyersburg; Taylor McGuire, Page

CLASS AAA

Coach of the year: Tracey Berry, Ravenwood

Outside hitter: Hayli Raines, Soddy-Daisy; Ashley Ferris, Karns; Brooke Faulkner, Siegel; Scarlett Gable, Munford; Madelyn Hutson, Ravenwood; Kristi Bowlin, Morristown West

Middle hitter: Kelsey Handel, Karns; Caroline Carlton, Independence; Lauren Kaufman, Brentwood

Setter: Alyssa Ivey, Ravenwood; Caroline Gay, Siegel

Libero: Payton Tipton, Cleveland

DIVISION II

Coach of the year: Eva Lea, Ensworth

Outside hitter: Abby Orr, USJ; Hannah Kurtz, St. Benedict; Rejean Rouse, Ensworth; Devan Porter, St. Agnes

Middle hitter: Nicole Sumida, Baylor; Stephanie Biggs, Knoxville Webb; Hannah Everett, St. George’s; Shannon Carr, Father Ryan

Libero: Katelyn Armstrong, Baylor; Lindsey Purvis, Briarcrest; Mackinnon Morrissey, Ensworth

Setter: Shelby Anderton, ECS; Amy Matula, St. George’s

While there may be arguments about some of the positions, what I cannot understand is how no one from Dobyns-Bennett made the team. I don't know the names of any of the girls on that team, but I would like to think some sports writers from around the State could have learned the names of the girls from the team that was the second best team in the State.

I hope that this years selection was not like the selection a few years back when a Newspaper "forgot" to turn their selections in. Your comments on Dobyns Bennett omission from selection is about right and at least one should be added unless there is some other reason. State participant Collierville was in the same position. All of those named deserved the selection. The wait was worth it and certainly there are many other quality players that were very close, in fact, this years selection had to be very close. Positions really are not an issue. Most players play at least two positions and only show how versatile they really are. The day is over when a one position player can make this type team. The Tennessee Sports Writers Association did well in their selection along with the lead person who came up with the names. Interesting is a number of players have made the team as repeaters from other years.

All of the hard work over the summer and during the school years did pay off and the recognition, I hope, did pay off. As one who looked at newspapers during the year, DB was difficult to find info on since the News paper who handled most of their publicity was very difficult to get in to. Other years, they had posted on this site and this year, very little was found. DB was the second best team in the State this past year with great players.

Edited by PHargis

The DNJ in Murfreesboro named the total State TSWA selections. They are below.

TSWA All-State Volleyball Team

CLASS A

Coach of the year: Jennifer Redman, Signal Mountain

Outside hitter: Rachel Harper, Boyd-Buchanan; Callie Hildebrand, Signal Mountain; Kaitlyn Teeter, Friendship Christian; Kennedy Wade, Grace Christian; Jordana Sands, Madison; Shelby Crenshaw, TCA

Setter: Georgia Paturalski, Signal Mountain; Katie Buchanan, Madison Academic; Alex Guelli, North Greene

Middle hitter: Ali Burroughs, Friendship Christian

CLASS AA

Coach of the year: Jessica Enderle, Page

Outside hitter: Kalyn Helton, Red Bank; Teresa Slade, CAK; Bekah Wolford, Carter; Lakin Pratt, Carter; Molly Locke, Page; Sarah Fulner, Goodpasture

Middle hitter: Rachel Hill, Alcoa; Maelyn Cutshaw, South Greene

Setter: Lauren Lewis, Dyersburg; Taylor McGuire, Page

CLASS AAA

Coach of the year: Tracey Berry, Ravenwood

Outside hitter: Hayli Raines, Soddy-Daisy; Ashley Ferris, Karns; Brooke Faulkner, Siegel; Scarlett Gable, Munford; Madelyn Hutson, Ravenwood; Kristi Bowlin, Morristown West

Middle hitter: Kelsey Handel, Karns; Caroline Carlton, Independence; Lauren Kaufman, Brentwood Setter: Alyssa Ivey, Ravenwood; Caroline Gay, Siegel

Libero: Payton Tipton, Cleveland

DIVISION II

Coach of the year: Eva Lea, Ensworth

Outside hitter: Abby Orr, USJ; Hannah Kurtz, St. Benedict; Rejean Rouse, Ensworth; Devan Porter, St. Agnes

Middle hitter: Nicole Sumida, Baylor; Stephanie Biggs, Knoxville Webb; Hannah Everett, St. George's; Shannon Carr, Father Ryan

Libero: Katelyn Armstrong, Baylor; Lindsey Purvis, Briarcrest; Mackinnon Morrissey, Ensworth

Setter: Shelby Anderton, ECS; Amy Matula, St. George's

While I don't have the names of those selected not in the State Tournament, in AAA the players from Morristown West and Cleveland were not in it. Cleveland was in substate. I don't believe there are any rules as to who can be named but with this award it seems teams making it to Substate might be given an opportunity for a selection unless there is exceptional play. It seems the award is as much a team award as an individual award. The same might be for the Coach's also. All coaches selected happened to be winners at State. News sportswriters made the selections. There is no question there was exceptional play throughout the State by a number of players. Maybe next year a second team or an honorable mention might be considered. It seems to have been done differently every year. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by PHargis

This is complete crap. DB's setter was the best volleyball player in the state. Not to mention best setter. Their Middle is better then all three of the middles listed as well. How can you say they did a good job selecting this team? Find me a better outside than Riverdale's OS as well.

I am not saying the kids on the list arent good. I think the coach of the year should have been Karns coach. Who wins at Karns? Ever?

This is complete crap. DB's setter was the best volleyball player in the state. Not to mention best setter. Their Middle is better then all three of the middles listed as well. How can you say they did a good job selecting this team? Find me a better outside than Riverdale's OS as well.

I am not saying the kids on the list arent good. I think the coach of the year should have been Karns coach. Who wins at Karns? Ever?

Well, I agree about the confusion about not having any players selected from the #2 place state team. DB did not have great final match with Ravenwood however those players/team got there beyond other teams. As for Coach of the year- - - can't agree with Karns. I still agree with head coach from Ravenwood on this. nothing against Karns coach but directed at your comment. So it brings up a very important question as to the selection process. Come on people. If one selection or lack there of is questionable then all are in question. It kinda hurts the validation of the whole process. as for Karns- 3 AAA Ashley Feris has never been listed as an outside hitter until this All State Team selection. Is that a mistake? We always hear about the " 2 Big Middles from Karns".

Edited by jumper

The selection is the selection. Clifford, your comments are mainly correct. This state is wide and long. I'm not sure where the compilation started from or if it was a committee or what the rules were, but to generally make the All State team a school has to travel to a number of Tournaments and its players have to be seen by a number of schools so at least when their name is mentioned, selectors at least know who they are. If not, it becomes a Regional selection with each region of the State getting a selection. It seems that the team they are on should at least get to the sub state. That insures great players likely are included. When I saw Munford likely might not get to state earlier, their main player got them there and I breathed a sign of relief. She had a great career and stats. Whoever did the picking in East Tennessee did leave DB off of the list. They traveled and did what a previous champion should do, they exposed themselves.

Many players deserved recognition but so did the ones selected. Riverdales outside as well as their Middle deserved recognition. DB's setter and Middle did also. Brentwood had some players. And we can go on and on about numerous schools and their players, which is not really fair. Sullivan South had some players also. Ooltewah had a player. Every year someone gets left off that is deserving. Sportswriters asks some coaches for help in their geographical areas. Its natural that partisonship gets involved. For the past 7 years its been that way. coaches may be asked to name a couple of players from their team and then after that, what happens happens.

None of this takes the brighteness off of the selections made. Someone thought it was right.

Maybe next year there can be a second team and honorable mention like I have seen before. Yes, it dilutes the recognition but for its purposes the name is mentioned.

I seem to get people nervous when I start complaining about in State schools not atleast making it to a couple of Tournaments away from home each year or playing in big Tournaments, instead of going out of State. This is a time it didn't work but a second team would have made it work. These are strictly my opinions and I had no influence directly or indirectly with the selections. I am just glad we have an AllState selection and all of these players are well deserving. I would have just liked to see all of the players perform this year if I could. But after all, I'm just a fan.