Former East Tennessee Schools

rollredroll

Thanks again for all the feedback. A few more questions that I'm still fuzzy on after reading this thread and the one Red Rebels linked:

Jefferson High School - was this is Dandridge? Nicknames/colors?

Parrottsville - nicknames/colors? Successor school? I see a few years of scores in the early-to-mid 70s but that's it.

Alcoa Hall - what's the story with this school? I see scores in 1967 but none before or after.

Jefferson is in Jefferson City. They are now a middle school and still known as the Elks. Blue/White.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think you need also Englewood and Etowah, which possibly was called the Pile Drivers?

Englewood High School- Mascot: Rams

Colors: Orange & White

Etowah High School- Mascot: Pile Drivers

Colors: Red & White ( I believe)

These schools merged to make McMinn Central High School in the late 60's

Edited by warhorse

• 1 month later...

Some others not listed on your consolidation/merger page on hsfdatabase from Sullivan County:

Blountville Tigers - blue and gold, fielded football teams 1963 thru 1967 seasons, consolidated into Sullivan Central 1968

Holston Institute Eagles / Holston High (Blountville, TN)- non-football school consolidated into Sullivan Central 1968.

Bluff City non-football school consolidated into Sullivan East 1969.

Mary Hughes H.S. (Piney Flats, TN)non-football school consolidated into Sullivan East 1969.

Holston Valley Rebels non-football school consolidated into Sullivan East 1969.

I don't know if you have these from Sullivan County; if so, sorry for the repeat...

Sullivan High School Pirates (blue, gold)

Ketron High School Wildcats (blue, white)

Lynn View High School Lynxes (green, white)

• 6 years later...
On 1/27/2011 at 0:45 AM, rollredroll said:

I am trying to track down some information on some old/closed East Tennessee schools. Specifically, I am looking primarily for the nicknames and, if known, the school colors of a handful of schools:

Knox. Austin

Knox. East

Boones Creek

Friendsville

Lake City

Lanier

Maury

Porter

Spring City

Surgoinsville

Townsend

Walland

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hope I'm not duplicating info but Rhea Central and Spring City merged to form Rhea County.  Both at one time were members of the old Tennessee Valley Conference that included two Alabama schools and was so large it split into two divison's, East and West with plans for the winner of each division to meet on Thanksgiving Day for the Championship.  Conference ran from around 1937 to 196ish.  Spring City went into the Sequoyah Conference later, the Alabama schools along with Grundy Co, So. Pitt. Marion County, Whitwell, Sequatchie County and Bledsoe County split to form The Sequatchie Valley Conference

On 1/31/2011 at 2:29 PM, STARSNBARS said:

Ewe fellers ere leevin' out tha Frandsvul Academmy......In the werds of those "Wild and Crazy" guys..."It's tha Foxes!!!!!!

On 2/2/2011 at 8:57 PM, GovMan said:

On the Road with Charles Kuralt. Featured on national tv and in his best selling book of the same title.

Friendsville Academy was once a national story

Posted Wednesday, January 28, 2015 9:18 am
Larry Bowers Banner Staff Writer

Requests from several readers of the Cleveland Daily Banner have requested I recount memories from years associated with high school basketball in Tennessee.

I played sports at Maryville High School, in the days of future Sen. Lamar Alexander. He went on to be a two-term governor, and former U.S. Secretary of Education, but he didn’t learn those skills on the basketball court.

On a visit to Cleveland, Alexander was asked if he played basketball with me at Maryville High. He quipped, “Yes, but he was no Kobe Bryant.” It seems he has little respect for my basketball ability!

Our career paths diverged widely after high school. He attended Vanderbilt and went on to the governor’s office. I attended East Tennessee State and went on to the sports desk at the Maryville-Alcoa Daily Times in my hometown.

I covered teams and individuals in Blount County that reached high levels of prominence. But, one special team stands out.

This group of boys earned national notoriety, not for their accomplishments but for non-accomplishment. Small Friendsville Academy, a Quaker school with less than 100 students, still holds the national and world record for consecutive basketball losses by a team in organized competition.

Friendsville Academy was defeated in 138 straight games over a five-year period, finally ending the drought on Feb. 15, 1973.

It was not just the five years of losses, but things that happened along the way.

Friendsville lost one game to Vonore midway in the streak, 42-40, when an FA player scored a goal for Vonore.

Early in the losing streak it was difficult to get the coaching staff to call in statistics from the games ... since they were usually one-sided losses. It became easier when the team began to get local, regional and even national attention — for losing, not winning.

Joe Garagiola and Dave Garroway of morning television’s “Today Show” on NBC had a schedule of Friendsville Academy games and would call me for comments each morning after every game.

Also, Charles Kuralt — television’s “On the Road” man — came to Blount County in his motor home, and we visited Friendsville for a practice session.

Probably the most unusual thing in the Friendsville Academy saga was when the streak came to an end. The team had already been eliminated from Blount County’s 1972-73 TSSAA district tournament when school officials scheduled a postseason game with a small Catholic high school from West Virginia. This team had lost more than 70 games in a row and wanted to challenge Friendsville Academy.

It was a “who’s really the worst” event, and drew a capacity crowd.

Friendsville Academy scored a decisive victory, much to everyone’s amazement. FA’s followers had grown accustomed to being on the opposite side of the scoreboard.

But, success does not always lead to bigger and better things. Neither school ever played basketball again. The West Virginia school gave up the sport, and Friendsville Academy closed for lack of students and financing.

Prior to the five-year losing streak, Friendsville Academy was one of Blount County’s outstanding basketball programs. The team challenged local teams Alcoa, Maryville, Everett, Porter, Walland, Townsend, Lanier and Greenback. The team had even won a district title a few years before.

But, as the Friendsville Academy family discovered ... When the notoriety is over, it’s often over for good. Also, Garagiola, Garroway and Kuralt never called me again!

http://clevelandbanner.com/stories/looking-back-hoop-dreams-and-nightmares,1432

I wish Larry Bowers was still at the Maryville-Alcoa Daily Times. This is good stuff.