Greenback v. Alcoa

pantherpride1

What was the overall score and how did the matches play out?

Alcoa wins easily.

Per Daily Times :

Alcoa downs Greenback, heads to Stone Memorial for region battle

By Darren Dunlap [email protected]

The Alcoa Tornadoes wrestling team made program history on Thursday, and they’re ready to do it again today with a match at Stone Memorial.

Alcoa defeated Greenback, a program first, 54-15, at the Cherokees’ first home match of the season. If Alcoa beats Stone Memorial, they’re headed to the state AA dual meet tournament for the first time.

Your Ad Here

“We have an expectation, we expected to have a chance to do this, and so for it come true and have the opportunity is pretty big for us,†Alcoa coach Brian Gossett said. “Alcoa has never been a region team placer until tonight. It’s pretty exciting.â€

Alcoa’s Dakota Ray (119-pounds), Matthew Schmidt (125), Julian Ramirez (135) and Dakota Hodges (112) won by decision. Teammates Stanley Johnson (189), Jose Ramirez (140), James Pierce (145) and Gauge Parks (160) pinned their opponents.

Greenback’s Tanner Vittatoe (130) won by decision and Michael Clune (171) got a pin for the Cherokees. Brooks Talley (152) picked up a forfeit. Greenback forfeited three classes, including 103, 215 and 285.

“What I saw most that I liked out of our young guys: the drive to compete,†Greenback coach David Newvine. “Our veterans had tough matches, fought hard and never gave up.â€

The crowd at Greenback’s gym had a moment of silence for 17-year-old Ryan Seymour. Seymour, one four students involved in an accident on Calderwood Highway, died Jan. 21 at University of Tennessee Medical Center.

Seymour played football for Greenback, but he had also wrestled against Austin-East and Heritage for the Cherokees in December in the 215-pound class, Newvine said. Caleb Simpson, 16, Dell Starritt, 15, and Dyllan Roulette, 16, were also injured in the accident.

“What a courageous bunch of kids Greenback has, to deal with what they’ve dealt with for a week, and to come out here and fill this gym, and wrestle like they wrestled, which was really hard and really well,†Gossett said. “To really give Ryan Seymour’s memory that big of a tribute. I’m proud of my guys, but I’m proud of Greenback’s guys, too. They did something pretty special.â€

Want to congratulate Alcoa on their success this season. Coach Gossett has worked hard to build that program in the last few years and it's paying off.

Also want to congratulate Coach Newvine for a successful night at Greenback. Seeing a gym full of fans excited to see a wrestling match, and to pay tribute to a fellow student was well worth the trip.

Congrats Alcoa!

I wish I could have made the match last night, but work prevented it. Luckily I was able to make it to their senior night. That group has accomplished a lot for the program, and Gossett has really got the team on track.

I for one was glad to see how far some of the guys have come since I coached them in middle school. I am excited to see Alcoa continue to grow.

Go Alcoa, take down Stone Mountain aka memorial, whoops!

Edited by mcwrestler

Congrats Alcoa!

I wish I could have made the match last night, but work prevented it. Luckily I was able to make it to their senior night. That group has accomplished a lot for the program, and Gossett has really got the team on track.

I for one was glad to see how far some of the guys have come since I coached them in middle school. I am excited to see Alcoa continue to grow.

Go Alcoa, take down Stone Mountain!

Hope you ment Stone Memorial.

Gossett would be recruited by every school in the country if he could get his team of around 20 wrestlers to take down STONE MOUNTAIN, that is one tough piece of granite in Georgia.

But he has done a great job with the kids there and much luck is wished for his team to make it to state.

Edited by PUMMELKING

Hope you ment Stone Memorial.

Gossett would be recruited by every school in the country if he could get his team of around 20 wrestlers to take down STONE MOUNTAIN, that is one tough piece of granite in Georgia.

But he has done a great job with the kids there and much luck is wished for his team to make it to state.

Good catch, slip up on my part.

He has done great things at Alcoa for sure. Having the same coach for more than 2 years help a team progress. With him and Jim Blackford plus a growing feeder program things are looking up for Alcoa.

SMHS 37 Alcoa 27

Alcoa jumped out to 27-0 lead thru 6 matches then the panthers came roaring back to win the last 8.

Amazing dual once SMHS got on the board.

Tough well fought match hated to see either team loose.

The Alcoa coach is doing amazing wonders they will be a force to be dealt with once their feeder program begins feeding them some high quality kids.