Chatt Cyclones Love or Hate

spillthebeans

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I direct a summer baseball program who competes with the Cyclones. I have known George Koontz for a long time. He does a good job running his program and publicizing his players. I also am a high school head coach and I have had players who played for the Cyclones. Whether you agree with how they run their organization or not, it is completely unnecessary to get on this forum and make derogatory statements about the Cyclones. They are just trying to increase the level of play in Chattanooga, like Fury Baseball, CBC and the Cherokees are doing. There are more than enough players who need development, and honestly baseball in Chattanooga is behind the rest of the state so we need these organizations. These organizations are doing good work, and they should be admired for it. Any program that encourages kids to pursue college is a good program!

I direct a summer baseball program who competes with the Cyclones. I have known George Koontz for a long time. He does a good job running his program and publicizing his players. I also am a high school head coach and I have had players who played for the Cyclones. Whether you agree with how they run their organization or not, it is completely unnecessary to get on this forum and make derogatory statements about the Cyclones. They are just trying to increase the level of play in Chattanooga, like Fury Baseball, CBC and the Cherokees are doing. There are more than enough players who need development, and honestly baseball in Chattanooga is behind the rest of the state so we need these organizations. These organizations are doing good work, and they should be admired for it. Any program that encourages kids to pursue college is a good program!

it is completely unnecessary to get on this forum and make derogatory statements about the Cyclones...Amen

I am not making bad comments. My last post got deleted cause someone must have bashed them. My whole point was why has summer ball turned into a money thing? You talk about promoting kids, being a high school coach etc... However you say Chattanooga is behind which i disagree with totally. Let me ask you a question if you are a high school coach would you rather win or promote your kids? I would rather promote my kids at no charge, and promote all of them not just those that are better than others or talk down about kids. All i am saying is from what i heard the cyclones promote those kids who pay money to take lessons at their building, and do not promote the kids that do not cause they believe they are not working. I am sorry its a touchy subject, but summer ball should not be about money or talent it should be about teaching the kids the game of baseball not screaming at them when they do wrong like i have seen with the cyclones and other summer leagues......

randyc1 there is no bashing of your beloved cyclones. I am sure your kid plays for them and takes lessons at their building and that is great. If i was to bash them i would say a lot more than this from the stories i have heard. So i am sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings but sometimes the truth hurts ... PROMOTE YOUR KIDS AT NO COST...................... Thats all i am saying

randyc1 there is no bashing of your beloved cyclones. I am sure your kid plays for them and takes lessons at their building and that is great. If i was to bash them i would say a lot more than this from the stories i have heard. So i am sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings but sometimes the truth hurts ... PROMOTE YOUR KIDS AT NO COST...................... Thats all i am saying

"PROMOTE YOUR KIDS AT NO COST...................... Thats all i am saying"

LOL, instead of slandering and bashing, you should be out promoting your own kid, its not any organizations duty to do it for you and its not that hard. And, as far as the "all the stories I've heard" statement, if you don't have first-hand information, think before posting.

"PROMOTE YOUR KIDS AT NO COST...................... Thats all i am saying"

LOL, instead of slandering and bashing, you should be out promoting your own kid, its not any organizations duty to do it for you and its not that hard. And, as far as the "all the stories I've heard" statement, if you don't have first-hand information, think before posting.

Slander? Bashing? I don't think so.... My only question was is it for the money or is it for the kids. Maybe you should read a little deeper into the subject. Summer ball has turned into a money making nightmare. But i will leave you money hogs alone and people that never played the game.

I am not making bad comments. My last post got deleted cause someone must have bashed them. My whole point was why has summer ball turned into a money thing? You talk about promoting kids, being a high school coach etc... However you say Chattanooga is behind which i disagree with totally. Let me ask you a question if you are a high school coach would you rather win or promote your kids? I would rather promote my kids at no charge, and promote all of them not just those that are better than others or talk down about kids. All i am saying is from what i heard the cyclones promote those kids who pay money to take lessons at their building, and do not promote the kids that do not cause they believe they are not working. I am sorry its a touchy subject, but summer ball should not be about money or talent it should be about teaching the kids the game of baseball not screaming at them when they do wrong like i have seen with the cyclones and other summer leagues......

Whether it's right or wrong, you promote the kids who you SEE working. That doesn't mean the others aren't, but you can only tell a college coach what you see happening. As far as level of play in Chattanooga, it is down. Look at the state tournaments over the last 10 years. Chattanooga does not have a strong presence there. I have talked to several college coaches who are friends of mine who have said they can go to Atlanta or Nashville and get an average player who, for whatever reason, always plays better than a hyped kid from Chattanooga. I have to think the reason is that there are much more competitive summer programs in those cities where players are being pushed to develop or get left behind.

Slander? Bashing? I don't think so.... My only question was is it for the money or is it for the kids. Maybe you should read a little deeper into the subject. Summer ball has turned into a money making nightmare. But i will leave you money hogs alone and people that never played the game.

[/quote

Now i think you have came off your rocker just a little bit. It costs anywhere between $550 and $900 dollars to enter these tournaments. Uniforms and baseballs are not free either. Most of the coaches of these summer teams are high school teachers, not lawyers, so it is only fair to cover their expenses on the road as they travel too. The bottom line is that there are input costs.

Mr. Spillthebeans, just go away. Maybe, stroll over to softball and rage against the machine there. If you really want to crusade against the capitalistic system, softball dwarfs baseball.

Maybe this topic should be another thread, but is travel ball killing youth baseball in Tennessee? I read in the Columbia paper where there is a good chance that they will lose their Babe Ruth program for 13-18 year olds due to apathy. There's not enough interest to keep it going. You'd like to think that would mean that they are all going to places like you all are talking about and learning the game. I don't think that's the case.

I hate to see baseball go down this AAU road where it's an all or nothing proposition. There's no telling how many potential players will be lost. There's got to be some balance, particularly at the 13-15 level where we are still trying to develop kids.