Stalling

mat73557

The following a philosophy for recognizing and penalizing stalling. Stalling is the nemesis of wrestling. There is not another area in wrestling that creates as much controversy as stalling. The reason is that everyone has their own understanding of stalling. The official has to recognize stalling and make a call or not make a call utilizing his best judgment. Stalling makes wrestling boring and unfair. It is the responsibility of the athlete, coach and official to avoid the use of stalling tactics.

This philosophy is mine and is consistent with the current Rules Book and Case Manual. It is a philosophy that has been developed after watching hours of wrestling, watching some of the top officials in the Nation and interpretations of the rules. It may or may not work for everyone but a written philosophy will create consistency and that is what the coaches and wrestlers expect. They may not agree with the call but if you call it consistent throughout a match or tournament, you will be regarded higher than being out there making calls up, doing nothing, or appear to be influencing the outcome of the match.

PHILOSOPHY:

 Be fair to the kids. Don’t worry about the coaches or fans.

 Don’t let the coaches or fans call it first. Timing is everything!

ï‚· When you think they are stalling, they probably are.

 It is not the official’s job to make wrestlers wrestle. The official’s job is to warn or penalize when stalling is recognized.

ï‚· Call stalling when recognized without hesitation at any time or period.

ï‚· Stalling is often a no win situation. More officials get into trouble for not calling stalling than calling it.

ï‚· Have the courage to call stalling.

ï‚· There are not different standards for stalling for 103 pounds and 285.

ï‚· Communicate to the wrestlers, verbally, when you call them.

 Don’t confuse fleeing the mat with stalling, they are two different infractions.

NEUTRAL POSITION:

 Silently count legitimate shot attempts and keep them in your mind. Helps keep you in the match. If one wrestler has three or more legitimate shots to his opponent’s zero, you can figure out who is not making an effort.

 Look for stalling in 1st period. No easier time to call it. DON’T MAKE UP A CALL. 2nd or 3rd period someone may be protecting a lead or trying to get the lead.

ï‚· A legitimate shot implies risk, level change, penetration or jeopardy on the aggressive wrestler.

 Watch a wrestler always taking action to the edge. Wrestlers should make an honest attempt to keep the action in the 10’ circle. Is he looking to score on the edge or have an easy bail out route?

 Watch the hips when a wrestler is blocking or has head on shoulder, they’ll be out and back.

ï‚· Look at ties and blocking with the arms or ties. Can be difficult to determine.

ï‚· Catching a wrestler continuously sprawling can be stalling. Make the call in mid sprawl.

ï‚· Hand fighting; determine who is trying to circle in.

ï‚· Defensive counters. BOTH WRESTLERS ARE REQUIRED TO WRESTLE AGGRESIVELY AND WORK FOR A TAKEDOWN.

 Warn both if needed—if neither is doing much.

ï‚· Repeatedly causing a stalemate can be stalling.

ï‚· Circling is not a move and neither is pushing.

BOTTOM POSITION:

ï‚· Hardest to call because bottom man can be overpowered.

ï‚· He must work for reversal or escape. Watch for him to be hanging on or covering up.ï‚· Look for bottom man to try to get hand control and hips coming off the mat.

ï‚· If the top man gives him some space (perpendicular of off hips), is he trying to come up? The offensive wrestler coming off the hips creates a natural space for the bottom man to attempt to build a base.

ï‚· Don’t let both wrestlers “fall asleep on you.â€

ï‚· Repeatedly stands up with legs in. Be patient. May need to stalemate a time or two but then it is a stalling tactic.

TOP POSITION:

ï‚· Top man must work for the fall or cut opponent away.

ï‚· Look for hip-to-hip or parallel riding (space). Working the fall often involves risk. Coming off the hips equates to taking some risk because it gives the defensive wrestler additional options.

 Cross body and hanging on an ankle or arm. Stalemate first or second, warn or penalize after. Announce: “STALEMATE CAUSED BY TOP MAN.†This puts that wrestler on notice that he caused the stoppage. The stalemate is giving the top wrestler some benefit of doubt. If the cross body ride is applied and he can’t turn, he can move onto a different technique.

ï‚· Top man must attempt to bring bottom man to the mat during standup; ensure top man is making honest attempts to bring to the mat. No time limit; it could be five seconds or 15 seconds.

ï‚· Bottom man stands and top laces legs. This is stopping action because a potentially dangerous call will normally follow.

ï‚· Is the top man applying a pinning hold/combination and trying to turn? Does the top man have a pinning hold? Chicken wing is a pinning hold but if he is hip to hip, he is not using it to turn-Look for stalling.

Copyright © Wrestlingref.Com 2006-11

Edited by mat73557
  • Upvote 1

Most of what is here I knew.

Its nice to see it consolidated like this. I like some of the influence to see it and call, dont go looking for it.

I think as important as having a philosophy is calling that philosophy consistently, individual to individual, period to period, match to match.

Recalling wrestling in the late 60s and early 70s, stalling was an art form perfected in college. Refs rightfully call it much quicker which I think is the influence of freestyle on the sport and much better conditioned athletes with apologies to Dan Gable, Rick Sanders (rest his soul), etc. who wouldn't know how to stall.

I think your philosophy is a little bit over board I think stalling is all part of the sport strategy and thats why u have warnings I understand if its along process the outer ring is there for a reason just like a sideline in football they run out of bounce to stop the clock when they dont have time I just think some of what u call clues to look for like shooting more them the other guy maybe 1 shoots and the other is better at trips throw bye's things that dont involve shooting now he is a staller...

I think your philosophy is a little bit over board I think stalling is all part of the sport strategy and thats why u have warnings I understand if its along process the outer ring is there for a reason just like a sideline in football they run out of bounce to stop the clock when they dont have time I just think some of what u call clues to look for like shooting more them the other guy maybe 1 shoots and the other is better at trips throw bye's things that dont involve shooting now he is a staller...

The problem I have with stalling is how inconsistant it is called. And to say there is no difference in 103lbs vs. 285 is in my opinion a little off. It is one thing to take a "risk" and shoot on a 103 lbs kid that might outweigh you by two or so lbs vs shooting on a kid that might outweigh you by as much as 70 lbs. yes I know there are moves like outside singles one can do to lower the risk but it is still not the same. what bothers me most is when both kids are stalling nobody is working for an advantage and the ref seems to pick which wrestler to call for stalling. my heavy was wrestling in a match that personally I thought neither wrestler was working for increasing an advantage, but my wrestler took two shoots to the opponents 0. The opponent constantly worked an arm bar that was NEVER used to attempt a score (which to me should be considered stalling) when I questioned the ref on what he saw to merit stalling on just one wrestler (an honest question) his answer was very elementary school immature. A kid has worked for four years and he sees something in a match to call, he should at least be able to explain to the coach why he choose one wrestler over the other. If BOTH kids are stalling hit them both or hit neither, the idea of one kid stalling "more" than the other is ridiculous. Both wrestlers have the same responsablitly to work to score. BTW I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from the kid that beat mine, hats off and great work..just a little upset at how the calls were mad.

The problem I have with stalling is how inconsistant it is called. And to say there is no difference in 103lbs vs. 285 is in my opinion a little off. It is one thing to take a "risk" and shoot on a 103 lbs kid that might outweigh you by two or so lbs vs shooting on a kid that might outweigh you by as much as 70 lbs. yes I know there are moves like outside singles one can do to lower the risk but it is still not the same. what bothers me most is when both kids are stalling nobody is working for an advantage and the ref seems to pick which wrestler to call for stalling. my heavy was wrestling in a match that personally I thought neither wrestler was working for increasing an advantage, but my wrestler took two shoots to the opponents 0. The opponent constantly worked an arm bar that was NEVER used to attempt a score (which to me should be considered stalling) when I questioned the ref on what he saw to merit stalling on just one wrestler (an honest question) his answer was very elementary school immature. A kid has worked for four years and he sees something in a match to call, he should at least be able to explain to the coach why he choose one wrestler over the other. If BOTH kids are stalling hit them both or hit neither, the idea of one kid stalling "more" than the other is ridiculous. Both wrestlers have the same responsablitly to work to score. BTW I don't want to sound like I'm taking anything away from the kid that beat mine, hats off and great work..just a little upset at how the calls were mad.

The answer to your question is probably "the coach that yelled the loudest".

There seems to be one middle TN team that gets the majority of stalling calls in their favor, and it also seems to be the team that the coach is constantly saying something to the ref.

The answer to your question is probably "the coach that yelled the loudest".

There seems to be one middle TN team that gets the majority of stalling calls in their favor, and it also seems to be the team that the coach is constantly saying something to the ref.

cant be a metro nashville team; they get warned (or kicked out in some cases) if they go to the table twice in a match.

• Upvote 1