Harpeth Baseball/11AA

IndianBlue

Harpeth had a decent day in their first scrimmage. Presley was definitely rusty, but he will come around. Overall a good (not great) performance. East Robertson was not world beaters, but the team took care of business. The young pitching staff is an impressive and somewhat surprising addition. "H" Baseball should be competitive all year.

Jones seems to be doing a good job with the guys and building a commitment to success on the field from all players. However, I feel his administrative capabilities are lacking. Fund raising, money for spring break, money for a chartered bus, why so much "stuff" (sweats, pullovers, spikes, turfs, uniforms) I feel he should and could do a better job. Seems he wastes a lot of money that could be used in a better fashion.

Complaints from parents are increasing now that the "bus" issue has come up. Is the Honeymoon period over for Jones and staff?

Give me a break!

How about this? At the planning meeting at the end of the summer where we talk about fundraising, goals for gear and running a first class program and how much it's going to take to get the boys to Hoover, housed and fed, we had about 5 folks show up. Not 5 families, 5 people. You all know who I am, I'm the same guy that sends out all the emails begging, pleading and cojoling the Harpeth parents and players into showing up for Vandy games, workdays and baseball meetings. My screenname is the same as my email address.

Look at the improvement in our facilities the last 2 seasons.

Look at the improvement in our baseball team's character in 2 short years.

He kept the boys together over the summer, they are held accountable to their team and their school and things are done in a first class fashion at a AA school where the school system doesn't provide any financial backing outside of a miniscule coaching supplement. If it's the $$$ that are bothering you, make a suggestion, be proactive in being part of the solution instead of bellyaching about your perceived problems.

Be careful what you wish for OpinionDad......it's an open zone. Cheatham and Sycamore are looking for players. Get on the train or get off.

Edited by ksgovols

Thank you KS...

IndianBlue....I do appreciate the acknowledgment of how our team played this weekend and our new found commitment to each other on the field. Those are two of the biggest reasons I took this job and accepted this role. I do not know who you are nor do I really care. However, if all you can find to whine about is money, then that pretty much sums it up. You're just looking for something to whine about. I will not make excuses for how we do things. You are either with us or you are against us. All I ask is for my program, as a whole,(players, parents, and friends) to work hard and be committed to a first class mentality. As a result, one of two things is true....1. you are not a player, parent, or friend of the program or 2. you are not doing what is asked of you by your team.

Thank you, Coach Jones (DISS78)

Harpeth had a decent day in their first scrimmage. Presley was definitely rusty, but he will come around. Overall a good (not great) performance. East Robertson was not world beaters, but the team took care of business. The young pitching staff is an impressive and somewhat surprising addition. "H" Baseball should be competitive all year.

Jones seems to be doing a good job with the guys and building a commitment to success on the field from all players. However, I feel his administrative capabilities are lacking. Fund raising, money for spring break, money for a chartered bus, why so much "stuff" (sweats, pullovers, spikes, turfs, uniforms) I feel he should and could do a better job. Seems he wastes a lot of money that could be used in a better fashion.

Complaints from parents are increasing now that the "bus" issue has come up. Is the Honeymoon period over for Jones and staff?

Thank you KS...

IndianBlue....I do appreciate the acknowledgment of how our team played this weekend and our new found commitment to each other on the field. Those are two of the biggest reasons I took this job and accepted this role. I do not know who you are nor do I really care. However, if all you can find to whine about is money, then that pretty much sums it up. You're just looking for something to whine about. I will not make excuses for how we do things. You are either with us or you are against us. All I ask is for my program, as a whole,(players, parents, and friends) to work hard and be committed to a first class mentality. As a result, one of two things is true....1. you are not a player, parent, or friend of the program or 2. you are not doing what is asked of you by your team.

Thank you KS...

WOOOOWWW, Indianblue stirring the pot over at the rock.. Like Coach Jones or not, the guy is a great fellow, well liked by his coaching peers, and a stand up guy. I personally think he is exactly what that "whiny, spoon fed" program needed. That is not meant as a shot at them, because let me tell you, I have much respect for that program and the "good parents" surrounding it.

Donny took that program and made a man out of it, if you ask me. They play with intensity and passion, and that's what hard work will do to a player. It makes the player look at the game with such a different angle, an appreciative one. I am not hiding behind a screen name, I coach at Sycamore, and you can come see me Saturday at Harpeth when we scrimmage. Donny Jones is a personal friend of mine, that I respect a ton. There is not many guys I respect more in this profession.

So while you go whining about where the money goes, just be happy you have a guy who works for $1500 and not a penny more. That's pathetic my friend. Coach Jones stirred the pot over there, and I love it. Change is good sometimes. That team play's with an attitude now, and as a Coach I love it.

KS, why the shot at Sycamore? Why would you suggest we are looking for players? Either way, I like you KS, so no hard feelings man.

Also, why does this even come up? Why when you finally have a Coach (since Frasier (sp?) that is doing such positive things for the program do you try and run him off? Mind you, these are strictly my words from my observations. I just can't comprehend it.

Hey OpinionDad (uh... IndianBlue) - It's amazing to me that both your log in names accessed the accounts 21 hours ago. Your thread was started exactly the same way you did last year when you started throwing stones. I guess old habits are hard to break!

In regards to the "stuff" - You raise money to pay for the "stuff". You do it because you need the "stuff" and won't have to pay big-box retail prices for the "stuff". You buy team "stuff" so you look like a team. You don't want little Johnny on the field wearing his favorite MJ hoody that you paid $40 for at Dick's do you? I would much rather pay the average of $20-$25 for a screen printed team hoody any day. It shows a sense of pride in your school!

Pullovers protect you from the elements and keep arms warm when the weather is cold. Again, you get them cheaper as a team than buying them at Dick's and you get the team logo for FREE! What a deal!

Spikes... You'll pay twice the price for the equivalent pair at Dicks Sporting Goods. You may be able to save more in the Eastbay Catalog, but only if your kids wears a Size 14.

Uniforms... When you play 20+ game seasons, uniforms get holes in them and wear out. Additionally, Harpeth has the tradition of offering graduating Seniors a shadow box with a uniform jersey in them. These come from the oldest uniforms. The team purchases a new uniform usually every two to three years. Granted Harpeth may have an extra one in there over the past two seasons, but Coach Jones wanted his "brand" on "his" team... I'll give him that one. I didn't like the old ones either.

The BUS ??? Are you kidding me! I would much rather pay $150 for my kid to take a charter bus and know that he's safe and that his "expensive gear" that Coach Jones paid millions of dollars for is all secure in one location where it can be locked up and monitored. When you rely on parents as the transportation, then you put the burden on expense on multiple parents, as well as an increased liability. While most gladly accept the challenge to help out, the fact remains that the coach has lesser control in that type of setting. Trust me... I know this from experience. Control is needed and if it comes with some additional costs then so be it! GROW UP and SHUT UP!

Look, Lord knows I don't always agree with Coach Jones on every decision he makes for the team or my son as a player. I've coached 90% of these boys since they were 5 years old and in my view the program is headed in the right direction and as a coach first, that is my biggest concern as a friend of the program. As a lifelong player/coach of this sport, I know what it takes to make a program successful. 90% of those programs get that way by doing what is being done now. Does Coach Jones have faults? We all do - Even you IndianBlue/Opinion Dad. Coach Jones wants to build a program that will help the school and his career, but at the end of the day he does it because he loves the sport. I have to respect that! I may not agree with philosophies, coaching style, strategies, etc... but I do believe in what he's doing as a whole.

A team that looks good... Feels Good... A team that Feels Good... Plays Good... A Team That Plays Good... Does Good... Players That Do Good... Make Good! I don't see college teams or major league teams playing in two button tees or wearing $5.99 windbreakers. High School kids have dreams! The foundation of any successful program is built around what a coach can build with his team as a whole. Part of that process is having confidence and pride. This is probably something that you don't understand IndianBlue, but something as simple as a uniform or nice field is one of the building blocks to a successful program. It takes more than that as a whole, but it's part of the process.

The thing is that if I have a problem, then I go to the source. I have the balls to address any issues with a coach directly. Let me offer you a suggestion. Instead of sitting here waving your flag again trying to stir the pot within the program, how about you grow a set and schedule a meeting with Coach Jones so you can get whatever answers you need to satisfy your bi-polar self and that split personality of yours.

Edited by bbgocats

:blush: Sorry WE, it wasn't intended as a shot but I can see how it came across. Still, I thought the coach in you would say 'which player'? B) Those Sycamore guys are good guys. No offense intended. And.........the open enrollment only flows towards Cheatham and Harpeth. Sycamore's full. My bad.

Here's the thing, teams should be focusing on championships instead of these distractions. The difference in championship caliber teams and also rans is their commitment to team and the common goal. The backbiting and backstabbing down here hasn't been conducive to winning championships so far as I can tell. I felt like we were finally behind the program and putting the petty stuff in our rear view mirror since Coach Jones took over.

If we're going to air our dirty laundry over the internet, I'll say that my kid didn't pay a dime in player fees last year. Vandy games are worth $25 per game for a player and $25 for a parent. This year we had 16 opportunities to work games. Outfield signs send $50 towards the player's fees. Do the Math. I know 4 players, including mine, worked 100% of their fees off last year and a couple did this year. Most, or I should say everybody that wanted too, worked off at least half of their player fees this year. I also know players that worked off part of their teammates fees.

As well, the RBI Club raises every penny that buys a blade of grass, an ounce of field mix, equipment, nets, water hoses and light bulbs for the facility. We don't get a dime from the school system. We're not to Creek Wood's level just yet facility wise, but we're gaining on them and they'll tell you we're doing it just like they do, and Sycamore and anybody else at a public school that is trying to run a first rate program.

Edited by ksgovols

Like I said, no big deal. I know you, and I knew you didn't mean it malicious. Harpeth is back on track to what Harpeth was when I played for Sycamore, and not where it was when I got back from my college playing days and started coaching for Sycamore, and that is Relevant.(No offense to the guy(s) before Donny, they were put in a tough spot in my opinion).

They are relevant now, I want to see the intensity like it was 6-8 years ago when Sycamore met Harpeth. A game that was played tough, smart, and with some compassion, something that gets my blood pumping profusely. Maybe a little jawing back and forth. That's okay, as long as it's not personal.

Don't get me wrong, Sycamore fell off a little bit too, with what I am speaking of. We went through a few years where there wasn't any leaders, no one that would get in someones face for walking during a practice, goofing off when a coach wasn't looking, etc. All of that shows in the game. Last year, Harpeth spanked us a Station Camp, because they wanted it, that's why. Our guys didn't want it, didn't care. I am talking about playing with confidence, not cockiness. These are all things that Donny preaches, and we do as well at Sycamore.

I love where Harpeth is right now, and you guys are lucky to have Coach Jones, bottom line. Rivalry or not, I root for Harpeth unless we are on the same field. Because that's what respect is all about. 3 years ago, I wouldn't have rooted for Harpeth, ever.

KS, and if they don't like the way Coach Jones handles his business, we don't want them neither.