Perry County how do they rank

judgesmales

Just wondering how this team would stack up against some of the great teams, players and coaches from the past to come out of Perry County. Seems as though they are in good company with a great win to get there vs Clarksville Academy.

They are not near as good as the late 70's (Small school)and late 90's (single A) teams... Single A is down from what it has been in the past... I would think that this years teams is about as good as the early 2000 teams at PC..., maybe not quite as good as them...

The 97 team was definitely a "century" team. Those teams dont come around very often. Their #8 player would be a starter on most all the other teams. Another good player was hurt in a car wreck and didnt get to play. They had a few close games, but that was from the coach pulling on the reign a little too tight. He finally turned them loose in the state tourn. and they blew everyone out. They should have been in 3A that year.

This year's team has demonstrated a lot of heart and refuse to lose attitude. I'll take those anyday.

They played an extremely tough schedule in 1997. Much tougher than this team. I know they beat the class aa state champ in Union City and another team or 2 that was in the aa and/or aaa tournament. I believe they went 37-0 and were coached by Bruce Slatten. Their closest game from district to the state was about 15 pts, but were totally dominant at the state, and in my opinion(Iknow what thats worth) they were the best team in all classes that year.

The 55 ,56 ,57 Vikings were coached by the late Willie Hudson and led by Albert Ellison (Western Kentucky Hall of Fame)and is Dray Mercer's great uncle.The Late Dave Rhodes Coached the 76 and 77 Vikings were led by Mike Rhodes(Vanderbilt great)Canon's dad and Slatten's 96 runner up and 97 were led by Kirk Haston. These Vikings are better than the early 2000 teams and gotta Great Coach in Haston!

The 55 ,56 ,57 Vikings were coached by the late Willie Hudson and led by Albert Ellison (Western Kentucky Hall of Fame)and is Dray Mercer's great uncle.The Late Dave Rhodes Coached the 76 and 77 Vikings were led by Mike Rhodes(Vanderbilt great)Canon's dad and Slatten's 96 runner up and 97 were led by Kirk Haston. These Vikings are better than the early 2000 teams and gotta Great Coach in Haston!

I had a cousin on the PC 55- 57 teams ,HAD only 6 players, Tennessee had only one classicfation during this era which makes those teams even MORE Special

GO VIKINGS !!!!!!!!!

The 97' Vikings had to be by far the best team to come through Perry Co, followed by the 50s team, then the 70s team. As far as the present Vikings compared to the 2003 Vikings is hard to make a decision on. Before watching the present team take down CA, I would have had no doubt that the 2003 team was better. If the two teams had met it would definantly be a good game to watch. The present team would have to play zone to defend against the size, and the 2003 team would play man. The 2003 team would have to use their depth if they wanted to win because the present team would run the souls of their shoes. After thinking about this match up for many days now my final vote would go to the present team, when it comes down to it the 2003 wouldn't be able to contain the explosive ability of the present team by playing man, and if they tried to play zone the present team would put on a shooting clinic.

It's hard to compare teams that come from the '90s to those of the '50s. You have the huge difference in how the game is played now compared to then, and there aren't a lot of people who are still around who can remember those teams well enough. One thing the '50s have are actual "state" championships, where as the others were class championships, and three in a row at that. Comparing this team to the 2003, I give the talent edge to the 03 team, but the toughness and effort goes to the current team.

It's hard to compare teams that come from the '90s to those of the '50s. You have the huge difference in how the game is played now compared to then, and there aren't a lot of people who are still around who can remember those teams well enough. One thing the '50s have are actual "state" championships, where as the others were class championships, and three in a row at that. Comparing this team to the 2003, I give the talent edge to the 03 team, but the toughness and effort goes to the current team.

Yes I agree that the 50s team did great things in winning 3 in a row without classifications. And I am not near old enough to really know much about them. I also agree that the game has evolved alot since then, but with that being said im sure the level of competition has increased with it. The 97' team was presumed to be the best in all classifications since during their season they beat the AA State Champs and the AAA State Runner Up.

Edited by akaGlazed

Are you sure about the 97 team beating the AAA runner up?

Some of PC's best teams were in the 80's with Nat Dixon, Barry Cunningham, and Keith Beasley...they just had the unfortunate task of having to go through Knox Webb and Memphis Westside. Those teams may have played up to their potential more than any other PC team. Those teams played effortlessly and smooth...Barry Cunningham may be one of the most under appreciated players in PC history. This is a fun topic to talk about because each decade has had great teams and great players

50's (Ellison),

60's (Dave Rhodes)

70's (Mike Rhodes)

80's (Dixon,Cunningham,Plunkett,McCaig)

90's (Haston...too many others to list)

00's (Chase Richardson)

10's (current)

That is a lot of basketball history and it sure brings back some good memories...we should all appreciate the history because its impossible compare which team is better and just enjoy adding to the tradition.

Edited by basketballcoach