Maryville at Alcoa

AlcoaDad

Maryville will be at Alcoa at Goddard field Tuesday night, 3/22/2011 starting at 7:00 PM. Maryville is off to a very hot start and they are coming off a big win at DB. They have 13 Seniors and are loaded with talent. This could well be the year they break through in their District. I know most of the Maryville boys from having helped coach them, as well as my son, in Club. I think we have talent, but we are still feeling our way. I expect it to be a great game. If you are in the area, I would encourage you to come out and watch. The stands will be full and the atmosphere will be great!

:motorbike:

Maryville will be at Alcoa at Goddard field Tuesday night, 3/22/2011 starting at 7:00 PM. Maryville is off to a very hot start and they are coming off a big win at DB. They have 13 Seniors and are loaded with talent. This could well be the year they break through in their District. I know most of the Maryville boys from having helped coach them, as well as my son, in Club. I think we have talent, but we are still feeling our way. I expect it to be a great game. If you are in the area, I would encourage you to come out and watch. The stands will be full and the atmosphere will be great!

Alcoadad,

Best of luck! Wish I could make this one!

I have heard Maryville is STACKED this year. This should be a fun game. Post the result when you can!

Alcoadad,

Best of luck! Wish I could make this one!

I have heard Maryville is STACKED this year. This should be a fun game. Post the result when you can!

Big G, Maryville won 4-0. It was 0-0 at the half. They were able to shift into another gear when the second half started and we were not. I was very impressed with Maryville. We go about 3 deep on the bench, they went 10 deep and just wore us out. They have great skill players all over the field. Caleb Lucus and David Lethco up front are deadly with the diagonal runs. They play great diagonal balls from the middle. Maryville was very, very impressive. My understanding is they have 13 seniors and they rotate players so everyone is always fresh. I would put our first 12 or 13 up against them anytime, but the bench is going to be superior to most teams they play. While I don't like to lose, this will be a good lesson for us to see the level we have to play to be successful against the better teams. We are going to be just fine.

Anyone that thinks Maryville is not for real, had better think again. They have the potential to go deep into the playoffs. They are now 9-0 on the season (counting preseason matches).

There were a lot of emotions in this game and it was very fun to watch. The atmosphere was great!

Both teams looked a little sloppy in the 1st half. Maryville seemed to dribble around too much and Alcoa did a great job at preventing any penetration through their box.

2nd half... Maryville was able to create space by knocking the ball around and finding our forwards' feet. David Lethco spun around to hit a volley that hit the far post and in to the net at 2 minutes in to the 2nd half. Caleb Lucas hit the 2nd goal at around 50 minutes when he beat a few defenders in the box. Josh Maner worked the ball down the right flank only to find Lethco in the box behind the defenders for the 3rd goal at 65 minutes and Austin Pugh hit a PK at the 68 minute mark.

Overall a good game.

Good luck to Alcoa.

Big G, Maryville won 4-0. It was 0-0 at the half. They were able to shift into another gear when the second half started and we were not. I was very impressed with Maryville. We go about 3 deep on the bench, they went 10 deep and just wore us out. They have great skill players all over the field. Caleb Lucus and David Lethco up front are deadly with the diagonal runs. They play great diagonal balls from the middle. Maryville was very, very impressive. My understanding is they have 13 seniors and they rotate players so everyone is always fresh. I would put our first 12 or 13 up against them anytime, but the bench is going to be superior to most teams they play. While I don't like to lose, this will be a good lesson for us to see the level we have to play to be successful against the better teams. We are going to be just fine.

Anyone that thinks Maryville is not for real, had better think again. They have the potential to go deep into the playoffs. They are now 9-0 on the season (counting preseason matches).

Alcoadad,

Alcoa is a good team but I want to disagree with you on several things. Maryville does not go ten deep...what in the world were you watching? In fact...depth is their weakness. They rotated five players off the bench the entire game...that includes julio who gave caleb a one minute sub in the first half...so it was actually more like four players... come to think of it, they don't even have as many on their ENTIRE ROSTER as you say. Thanks for your compliments but anyone watching the game knows that Alcoa's first 12 or 13 do not match up with Maryvilles first 12 or 13. In order for them to rotate ten off the bench they would have to be throwing in the water girls.

good luck to alcoa the rest of the way. i was very impressed with #15 and their keeper and i think they will go far in AA. So glad to see Austin Pugh end his career on such a good note. What a great player and an even better kid.

Edited by Rebs0908

Alcoadad,

Alcoa is a good team but I want to disagree with you on several things. Maryville does not go ten deep...what in the world were you watching? In fact...depth is their weakness. They rotated five players off the bench the entire game...that includes julio who gave caleb a one minute sub in the first half...so it was actually more like four players... come to think of it, they don't even have as many on their ENTIRE ROSTER as you say. Thanks for your compliments but anyone watching the game knows that Alcoa's first 12 or 13 do not match up with Maryvilles first 12 or 13. In order for them to rotate ten off the bench they would have to be throwing in the water girls.

good luck to alcoa the rest of the way. i was very impressed with #15 and their keeper and i think they will go far in AA. So glad to see Austin Pugh end his career on such a good note. What a great player and an even better kid.

Reb,

You and I will have to agree to disagree. I was standing on the sidelines and the stat person was right next to me regarding the sub pattern. At one point in the 1st half 4 players went in at once and on the next throw in, two more went in. I am not saying you played subs in great blocks of time, but you played them with little drop off, in minute spurts that really helped with rest for your starters, which is something we don't have the depth to do against a quality team like Maryville. I would still match up the 1st 12 or so on both teams, your depth is what helps you in my opinion. Your starters as as good as any I have seen as a unit. I like our team and I like your team. Again, we can agree to disagree with no problem. Your team has great depth and it is quality. Maybe we can work out a trade for a couple! :P

I hate this about Austin Pugh. He is a fine young man and he has had the worst luck with injuries during his entire soccer career. Thank you for the kind words regarding 15, Austin Stone. He is an All-State type player. My son is the keeper, Tyler Reed and this was his 1st game this season. He is suffering from Ulcerated Colitis and has been very sick. He was hospitalized for 7 days I though he played very well considering he has not suited up this season until last night. Again, thank you for your praise.

I have helped coached about 75%-80% of the Maryville boys at one time or another and they are great young men. It was nice that so many of them came up and hugged me after the game last night. This should be the year for them and I hope and feel they will go as far as they are determined to go.

AlcoaDad

Wish I could have seen this one, but work got in the way. Sounds like a typical hard fought match between the two. I expect both to go far in the end and this was a great time to have a rivalry match. Maryville is loaded and well coached. They have been battle tested every season as some of their younger players have grown up playing against the best in the state every week in the district. They will be fun to watch this season. Alcoa will also be a team to watch in AA. People will see the playmakers in Austin (#15) and Tyler (GK); but if you see that as all they have, you will be overlooking several other great players. I'm obviously biased, but when Alcoa is healthy and they are clicking, they will make this a special year. Hope to have to take some time off work late in may to come watch both teams in the Boro.

Good Luck to both!

Wish I could have seen this one, but work got in the way. Sounds like a typical hard fought match between the two. I expect both to go far in the end and this was a great time to have a rivalry match. Maryville is loaded and well coached. They have been battle tested every season as some of their younger players have grown up playing against the best in the state every week in the district. They will be fun to watch this season. Alcoa will also be a team to watch in AA. People will see the playmakers in Austin (#15) and Tyler (GK); but if you see that as all they have, you will be overlooking several other great players. I'm obviously biased, but when Alcoa is healthy and they are clicking, they will make this a special year. Hope to have to take some time off work late in may to come watch both teams in the Boro.

Good Luck to both!

Have to strongly disagree that Maryville depth was the decisive factor in this one. I think the shot count was something like 15-3 Maryville with two of Alcoa’s shots coming from direct kicks that sailed high over the goal. Alcoa was scrappy and able to take advantage of the football field dimensions to compact their defense but it was evident from the flow of play that the dam would break sooner or later. Alcoa will feel the loss of Broadus as they advance into the season. With Derrick any long ball over the top presented problems for an opponent. There is no similar threat on this team and I didn’t see a lot of possession which resulted in a very limited attack against Maryville. Good luck to the Tornados in 2010—it is their good fortune that the CAK game is on the Alcoa pitch. A match at CAK’s spacious pitch would pose severe problems.