US Soccer Development Academy and Tennessee?

MoonDogRex

I would say just because soccer is not nearly as big here in Tennessee as it is in other states. But i have heard about some clubs forcing their players to opt out of high school soccer and play club all year round around the area.

Do you mean that players are being forced to choose between HS/Club in states with Development Academy clubs or that that players are being forced to choose between HS/Club here in Tennessee just to play for their TYSA clubs? The latter would be a sad, unfortunate joke.

In North Carolina on the boys' side, none of the four clubs are making the kids choose between HS and club -- and several of these kids are in the Youth National Team pools while still representing their schools AND their clubs.

Do you mean that players are being forced to choose between HS/Club in states with Development Academy clubs or that that players are being forced to choose between HS/Club here in Tennessee just to play for their TYSA clubs? The latter would be a sad, unfortunate joke.

In North Carolina on the boys' side, none of the four clubs are making the kids choose between HS and club -- and several of these kids are in the Youth National Team pools while still representing their schools AND their clubs.

I believe that the new club "rule" is that if your division 1 club team finishes #1 or #2 in the premier league, they are expecting those teams to play in the spring for their clubs and not for their high schools. I believe this is starting next year, but again, I am not 100% positive on the facts. If anyone can clarify, please do.

I believe that the new club "rule" is that if your division 1 club team finishes #1 or #2 in the premier league, they are expecting those teams to play in the spring for their clubs and not for their high schools. I believe this is starting next year, but again, I am not 100% positive on the facts. If anyone can clarify, please do.

I guess it depends on what club you would be involved with Big G. Even if teams do not qualify 1 or 2 in premier league I would expect those clubs to still push this agenda. The state really does its best to work around school soccer at both the HS and middle school level.

The state really does its best to work around school soccer at both the HS and middle school level.

Up to this year, I would agree. But this is the first time I have heard anything coming from a "unified" club front. I just don't understand why they can't let the kids have 3 months for high school soccer without club being involved. Some players start club training the same week that high school stops and continues sometimes past the starting point of pre season for high school.

And don't get me wrong. Club soccer has GREATLY improved the talent and soccer level of high school soccer as a whole. I would just hate to see it become the end of some high school careers.

That's crazy. The only compelling reason for those club teams to continue would be if there were USYSA Region 3 Central Premier League games to play -- Brentwood SC won the U-18 and FC Alliance won the U-17 Central Premier League titles back in the fall. The high school age boys' club teams have no formal schedule with either TYSA or USYSA in the spring. USYSA is a considerably inferior product to what the USSF has put forth, and USSF refuses to dictate to the Development Academy teams to tell their kids not to play for their schools.

One can only hope that this is wrong. Any club coach in this state who tells a kid that he has to skip his high school season in order to progress as a player is being unethical as well as dishonest.

If you are seeking to play soccer in college, let me ask you this.

When you are playing club in the fall, which college matches should the college coaches not attend of their own team in order to watch you play club tournaments in the fall?

Nice straw man. College coaches are well aware of the Region 3 Central fall schedule, which has games on both Saturdays and Sundays. NCAA Division 1 college programs do not play games on back-to-back days on Saturdays and Sundays, so it is quite feasible for college coaches to come see Tennessee boys club players during the fall on the weekend. This push from TN clubs -- if it is indeed happening -- has nothing to do with college recruitment.

What competitive schedule is a Tennessee boys' high school age club team going to play in the spring that merits giving up the high school experience and/or merits the attention of significant D1 programs? You'd better schedule teams from Georgia and South Carolina (two spring boys high school soccer states) and create your own interstate friendly arrangement if you think D1 schools are going to watch a Tennessee team play because they are not going to invest resources into coming here to see two Tennessee teams play each other. Wait, never mind -- you can't do that -- the best players in those two states (regardless whether they play in USYSA or USSF) are representing their high schools during the spring. The top clubs in those states don't force their players to forego representing their schools.

The elephant in the room is that Tennessee clubs are not competitive with clubs in NC, SC, GA, FL, STX, or NTX -- and those are the six areas in Region 3 with the most talent. It has nothing to do with a college coach's busy fall schedule making him unable to recruit players.

Time for a more convincing argument. And I am afraid one doesn't exist -- unless you simply say that the clubs want to become more competitive for their own sake in order to show better at Regionals.

Nice straw man. College coaches are well aware of the Region 3 Central fall schedule, which has games on both Saturdays and Sundays. NCAA Division 1 college programs do not play games on back-to-back days on Saturdays and Sundays, so it is quite feasible for college coaches to come see Tennessee boys club players during the fall on the weekend. This push from TN clubs -- if it is indeed happening -- has nothing to do with college recruitment.

What competitive schedule is a Tennessee boys' high school age club team going to play in the spring that merits giving up the high school experience and/or merits the attention of significant D1 programs? You'd better schedule teams from Georgia and South Carolina (two spring boys high school soccer states) and create your own interstate friendly arrangement if you think D1 schools are going to watch a Tennessee team play because they are not going to invest resources into coming here to see two Tennessee teams play each other. Wait, never mind -- you can't do that -- the best players in those two states (regardless whether they play in USYSA or USSF) are representing their high schools during the spring. The top clubs in those states don't force their players to forego representing their schools.

The elephant in the room is that Tennessee clubs are not competitive with clubs in NC, SC, GA, FL, STX, or NTX -- and those are the six areas in Region 3 with the most talent. It has nothing to do with a college coach's busy fall schedule making him unable to recruit players.

Time for a more convincing argument. And I am afraid one doesn't exist -- unless you simply say that the clubs want to become more competitive for their own sake in order to show better at Regionals.

Your right. It's not the reason. I asked a question.

Regarding you response, unless the college is local and playing a powder team, I seriously doubt a coach is not going to prepare for the upcoming match on Sunday and will instead jump on a plane to come watch a high school player in another state play another high school. Not hardly. Their job rests on each match and their performance.

ETSU, Memphis, Belmont and Lipscomb are the only schools in Tennessee with D-I teams. The are also only four Division II men’s soccer teams and yes another four at the D-III level.

NAIA teams in Tennessee exceed the number of NCAA programs combined.

Edited by CougarSally