Maryville @ Farragut

tnfutbolfan

"Humility in victory and grace in defeat".

I read this in the recent Sports Illustrated in the context of the recent Masters golf tournament.

Having seen many sports events in East TN, not just soccer, I'm happy to say that I've witnessed humility and grace most times.

Maybe that's what makes a departure from this so noteworthy?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You like my arrogance :), I can totally be the stereotype when I want.

Hate'n on the SEC?? Shame on you. ALthough your win column is hurting the rest of the conference isn't.

I read this earlier today and thought this may be a good place to share this....

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/apr/14/briarcrest-houston-receive-two-year-postseason-bas/

How exactly does this apply to this thread? :ph34r:

That however bad it may seem, it can always get worse. In this case, a bad play took place and instead of letting the umpire eject the player....well, the benches cleared and not only did more players receive ejections, it had far more reaching results. There was talk that neither school would send ANY spring team to playoffs. That may have been talk but a fight had taken place just the week before in the parking lot after a sporting event. (I thought we collapsed our fight club??) Despite what took place (it sounds like it was several fans), both teams seem to have kept their cool.

Edited by Canesoverhere

Since the Farragut game, the following has happened:

1.) Coach Feather talked to both Coach Culbreth's and personally apologized

2.) Coach Feather wrote a written apology to Coach Culbreth and his team

3.) He sat down with Coach Quarles and spent a long time talking about crowd control, and coach Quarles suspended the fans who made remarks about Coach Culbreth's family.

4.) All fans were told never to have a post-game ceremony/knighting on any field--home or away.

5.) No ceremony was conducted after the West game, and Coach Quarles and Maryville's School Resource officer spent the entire game in the student section.

Please know that the incident at Farragut was pushed by the fans. The Maryville team and coaches did not want this but still have done EVERYTHING to make sure this NEVER happens again. We have nothing but respect for Farragut.

Ned

I am glad Maryville took all these measures and I commend them for it. I am curious if they will apologize with the same level of intensity to the other schools where a "Knighting" took place. It happened at other places besides Farragut. I do think this type of activity illustrates a negative trend in athletics. Over the past few years we see college and pro teams in other sports trying to make statements on other schools home fields and logos. Some times it is small things and other times it is very in your face. Our society as a whole seems to have lost the idea of dignity and sportsmanship. I personally am glad that there seems to be a backlash where sportsmanship is being pushed again. It is just sad that negative actions have to bring the need for this to the fore front. End of sermon!!

AlcoaDad

:motorbike:

I am glad Maryville took all these measures and I commend them for it. I am curious if they will apologize with the same level of intensity to the other schools where a "Knighting" took place. It happened at other places besides Farragut. I do think this type of activity illustrates a negative trend in athletics. Over the past few years we see college and pro teams in other sports trying to make statements on other schools home fields and logos. Some times it is small things and other times it is very in your face. Our society as a whole seems to have lost the idea of dignity and sportsmanship. I personally am glad that there seems to be a backlash where sportsmanship is being pushed again. It is just sad that negative actions have to bring the need for this to the fore front. End of sermon!!

AlcoaDad

AlcoaDad,

With all due respect you are barking up the wrong tree. I seriously doubt coach Feather will apologize to alcoa because of what happened pre-game during the maryville-alcoa game. If you want me to explain what happened on a public forum...like you explained the "knighting"... i will but i would rather not because it will embarrass alcoa. Fans act crazy sometimes...end of discussion. It is not a coach's responsibility to control or apologize for fans to every team his team beats. I am sure that Maryville is committed to win/lose with class from here on out and that the incident at Farragut was by the fans not the players/team and won't happen again.

AlcoaDad,

With all due respect you are barking up the wrong tree. I seriously doubt coach Feather will apologize to alcoa because of what happened pre-game during the maryville-alcoa game. If you want me to explain what happened on a public forum...like you explained the "knighting"... i will but i would rather not because it will embarrass alcoa. Fans act crazy sometimes...end of discussion. It is not a coach's responsibility to control or apologize for fans to every team his team beats. I am sure that Maryville is committed to win/lose with class from here on out and that the incident at Farragut was by the fans not the players/team and won't happen again.

Hey Reb, I never mentioned any apology that needs to come Alcoa's way. If you had read my previous posts, you would have seen where I addressed what they did at Alcoa. We just ignored it and did not take much notice. We understood they were honoring Austin Pugh on his last game, as I stated before, and we dropped it which is what should happen to this thread. I wish Maryville the best in the rest of the season. I know most of those young men on a personal level and want nothing but success for them.

AlcoaDad