District 7A MVP?

CallItRight

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible for Jackson Co's Collier to get both Pitcher of the Year and District MVP? If so, I believe he has a good shot at getting both if he continues to play well. If not, I think that the award will still be given to someone off of Jackson Co's team.

Jackson County Choices- Peyton Ragland, Hobie Leonard, Justin Stewart, or Forrest Driver

Any one of these guys could win it, being solid in the field and dominant hitters, they are excellent cantidates.

Monterey Choices- Corey Ledbetter

Even though he was injured during most of the season, this kid hits well and is a great catcher. Definitely Monterey's best player this season.

Is it possible for Jackson Co's Collier to get both Pitcher of the Year and District MVP? If so, I believe he has a good shot at getting both if he continues to play well. If not, I think that the award will still be given to someone off of Jackson Co's team.

Jackson County Choices- Peyton Ragland, Hobie Leonard, Justin Stewart, or Forrest Driver

Any one of these guys could win it, being solid in the field and dominant hitters, they are excellent cantidates.

Monterey Choices- Corey Ledbetter

Even though he was injured during most of the season, this kid hits well and is a great catcher. Definitely Monterey's best player this season.

Unless something has changed one player can't get both awards. Normally, they vote pitcher of the year first, then player of the year, and afterwards they will give out all district.

Most Valuable Player, if the meaning is the same as the voting. No one has been more valuable to their team than Evan Key of Pickett Co. .459 average to this point, 7 HR, and 25 RBI's. To put it in perspective, No one else on his team has an average over .320, no one has more than 9 RBI's and no one else has more than one HR. So he is definately the MVP of his team, and should definitely be considered for MVP of the district. I think Collier get Pitcher of the year, but I'm like Swanson, I don't believe he can get both, or atleast that was the rule when I played.

Most Valuable Player, if the meaning is the same as the voting. No one has been more valuable to their team than Evan Key of Pickett Co. .459 average to this point, 7 HR, and 25 RBI's. To put it in perspective, No one else on his team has an average over .320, no one has more than 9 RBI's and no one else has more than one HR. So he is definately the MVP of his team, and should definitely be considered for MVP of the district. I think Collier get Pitcher of the year, but I'm like Swanson, I don't believe he can get both, or atleast that was the rule when I played.

Evan Key could be a valuable players on any team in the district. However, the 7 HR number might have an * by it since the PC field is about 290 all the way around, but he is a great player nonetheless. JC has 2 players, Justin Stewart and Peyton Ragland hitting over .450 Ragland with 3 HR, 20+ RBI and has only struck out once. Justin Stewart has a HR and many RBI's as well, but he does hit 5th in the line-up and JC's 1-4 hitters get on often. Peyton Ragland hits second, so his RBI's are a bit tougher to come by. One thing Stewart does have on Ragland is he is much more consistant in the field, but Ragland still gets my vote. Give Collier his plaque already. There is no question there, the kid gets 10+ K's everynight I have seen him throw and doesn't walk many now-a-days. Good Luck to the Blue Devils the rest of the season.

Evan Key could be a valuable players on any team in the district. However, the 7 HR number might have an * by it since the PC field is about 290 all the way around, but he is a great player nonetheless. JC has 2 players, Justin Stewart and Peyton Ragland hitting over .450 Ragland with 3 HR, 20+ RBI and has only struck out once. Justin Stewart has a HR and many RBI's as well, but he does hit 5th in the line-up and JC's 1-4 hitters get on often. Peyton Ragland hits second, so his RBI's are a bit tougher to come by. One thing Stewart does have on Ragland is he is much more consistant in the field, but Ragland still gets my vote. Give Collier his plaque already. There is no question there, the kid gets 10+ K's everynight I have seen him throw and doesn't walk many now-a-days. Good Luck to the Blue Devils the rest of the season.

The 10+ K's every night is what will get him Pitcher of the Year in district 7a, I have no argument there. He is the best pitcher in 7a. But this is something several have talked about on here. Unless there has been a rule change, Collier can not win both Pitcher or the year and Player of the year. When I played in '05 that was the rule, things change but I'm not aware if that rule has changed. If the rule is the same, then I believe Collier will undoubtedly will be Pitcher of the year. PC's is 295 down the left field line, 310 in center, and 305 down the RF line. I agree not the largest field. But Evan has been hitting the road with every homer at home this year, which is 320-325 in left center. Those would be homers anywhere including Jackson Co and Monterey. What I am saying is he isn't hitting cheap little homers (as you are suggesting), I believe he has 4 homers at home, and 3 on the road, including one at Jackson Co. The kid is hitting .456 and played 4 games with a hamstring so bad he could barely walk, and was still hitting home runs. What a MVP is, is the best Player on the team. I think Collier is the best player in the district, but because he will win Pitcher of the Year, he won't be eligible for Player of the year, so for that sake, you go around the rest of the teams and get their best player and you figure in Jackson Co's 2nd best player, and you choose from that group. I believe Evan will have better numbers and have meant more to his team than any of the rest of those players (not to take away from their seasons). I also take into account his defense, pitching, and leadership. He is just a solid all around player.

The 10+ K's every night is what will get him Pitcher of the Year in district 7a, I have no argument there. He is the best pitcher in 7a. But this is something several have talked about on here. Unless there has been a rule change, Collier can not win both Pitcher or the year and Player of the year. When I played in '05 that was the rule, things change but I'm not aware if that rule has changed. If the rule is the same, then I believe Collier will undoubtedly will be Pitcher of the year. PC's is 295 down the left field line, 310 in center, and 305 down the RF line. I agree not the largest field. But Evan has been hitting the road with every homer at home this year, which is 320-325 in left center. Those would be homers anywhere including Jackson Co and Monterey. What I am saying is he isn't hitting cheap little homers (as you are suggesting), I believe he has 4 homers at home, and 3 on the road, including one at Jackson Co. The kid is hitting .456 and played 4 games with a hamstring so bad he could barely walk, and was still hitting home runs. What a MVP is, is the best Player on the team. I think Collier is the best player in the district, but because he will win Pitcher of the Year, he won't be eligible for Player of the year, so for that sake, you go around the rest of the teams and get their best player and you figure in Jackson Co's 2nd best player, and you choose from that group. I believe Evan will have better numbers and have meant more to his team than any of the rest of those players (not to take away from their seasons). I also take into account his defense, pitching, and leadership. He is just a solid all around player.

I disagree with your post. There are about 3 hitters on Jackson Co's team that are hitting above 400 and are excellent in the field besides Collier. Peyton Ragland is hitting 430+ with 3 hrs and has only struck out once all season so far. He is also a very versitale player. He plays RF, SS, and is also a pitcher making him an even contendor. Also, all of his hrs have been hit 350+ feet, one being measured at 382 ft. Not to mention, this kid is only a Sophomore! He is a very even contendor. Also, Forrest Driver, Senior, is hitting above 500 at this point in the season with 2 hrs, and as a 2Baseman has only made 2 errors with his junior and senior year combined making him automatic in the field. I believe that JC has both the Best Pitcher and MVP this year with more than one kid being a contendor.

I disagree with your post. There are about 3 hitters on Jackson Co's team that are hitting above 400 and are excellent in the field besides Collier. Peyton Ragland is hitting 430+ with 3 hrs and has only struck out once all season so far. He is also a very versitale player. He plays RF, SS, and is also a pitcher making him an even contendor. Also, all of his hrs have been hit 350+ feet, one being measured at 382 ft. Not to mention, this kid is only a Sophomore! He is a very even contendor. Also, Forrest Driver, Senior, is hitting above 500 at this point in the season with 2 hrs, and as a 2Baseman has only made 2 errors with his junior and senior year combined making him automatic in the field. I believe that JC has both the Best Pitcher and MVP this year with more than one kid being a contendor.

I agree with you. The only team in the district who has taken JC 7 innings this year is Clarkrange... they still lost that game 22-2!!! I believe the MVP and Pitcher of the Year both go to JC athletes. I still think Stewart has a chance at the MVP award. He has been a wall at 3rd his whole career, batting wise, he hasn't been too hot at the plate until this year. He is one of them kids that when he is at the plate, he is getting a hit, or is advancing the runners, and has hit safely in 15 of the teams 17 games. He probably has a slim lead for RBI's in the district. Driver is another great choice. He is another just like Stewart who is knocking in runs or advancing runners, and to top it off he is the Valedictorian for the senior class! (I know that doesn't come into account for MVP, but still!) These boys are putting JC baseball on the map!

When I played in '05

I graduated the same year and that's when I played...i'm guessing you played for Pickett County?

I agree with you. The only team in the district who has taken JC 7 innings this year is Clarkrange... they still lost that game 22-2!!! I believe the MVP and Pitcher of the Year both go to JC athletes. I still think Stewart has a chance at the MVP award. He has been a wall at 3rd his whole career, batting wise, he hasn't been too hot at the plate until this year. He is one of them kids that when he is at the plate, he is getting a hit, or is advancing the runners, and has hit safely in 15 of the teams 17 games. He probably has a slim lead for RBI's in the district. Driver is another great choice. He is another just like Stewart who is knocking in runs or advancing runners, and to top it off he is the Valedictorian for the senior class! (I know that doesn't come into account for MVP, but still!) These boys are putting JC baseball on the map!

Just because you cruise through the district does not necessarily mean 2 players from the same team will be player and pitcher of the year. Just to use this as an example, I played with the RBS team that won this district in 04, and we cruised through this district with ease. It wasn't like JC is doing this year in the district, but we still had our way with most district teams we played. Our starting pitcher, much like Collier, threw hard and in every district game he pitched he came away with close to 10 k's, if not more,a game and never give up no more than 3 or 4 hits a game, so of course he got pitcher of the year. We had another guy on the team, I don't remember the exact stats, but was hitting somewhere above .450 with 6 or 7 homeruns I believe. So we thought he would be getting player of the year being on the team he was on with the stats he had, but we were wrong and a guy from Clarkrange, who was 4th or 5th in the district, ended up being the player of the year. He was a very good ball player, so it wasn't like he didn't deserve it talent wise. However, one of the main reasons he received the award was because he was basically the only player on his team. So don't be suprised if the kid from Pickett County or even the kid from Monterey doesn't end up with player of the year. Collier will more than likely end up with pitcher of the year because of obvious reasons, but if a player is putting up stats he doesn't necessarily have to be on the best team.

Edited by swanson71

I graduated the same year and that's when I played...i'm guessing you played for Pickett County?

Just because you cruise through the district does not necessarily mean 2 players from the same team will be player and pitcher of the year. Just to use this as an example, I played with the RBS team that won this district in 04, and we cruised through this district with ease. It wasn't like JC is doing this year in the district, but we still had our way with most district teams we played. Our starting pitcher, much like Collier, threw hard and in every district game he pitched he came away with close to 10 k's, if not more,a game and never give up no more than 3 or 4 hits a game, so of course he got pitcher of the year. We had another guy on the team, I don't remember the exact stats, but was hitting somewhere above .450 with 6 or 7 homeruns I believe. So we thought he would be getting player of the year being on the team he was on with the stats he had, but we were wrong and a guy from Clarkrange, who was 4th or 5th in the district, ended up being the player of the year. He was a very good ball player, so it wasn't like he didn't deserve it talent wise. However, one of the main reasons he received the award was because he was basically the only player on his team. So don't be suprised if the kid from Pickett County or even the kid from Monterey doesn't end up with player of the year. Collier will more than likely end up with pitcher of the year because of obvious reasons, but if a player is putting up stats he doesn't necessarily have to be on the best team.

The reason JC is cruising through the district is obviously because they have the best players in the district. These kids are putting up better stats than anyone else in the district. Monterey was the best team last year and they also had the MVP, so it really doesn't matter. JC has the best players, hands down.

The reason JC is cruising through the district is obviously because they have the best players in the district. These kids are putting up better stats than anyone else in the district. Monterey was the best team last year and they also had the MVP, so it really doesn't matter. JC has the best players, hands down.

I never said JC didn't have the best players, but do you think their 9 players are better than any one player in the district? I highly doubt it because if that was the case then we would have a potential threat for the state championship and that is most certainly not the case. If someone from the district or region makes it to the state tournament, with the exception of Friendship Christian, they will be 2 games and done. I'm not trying to down Jackson County in anyway, as I hope they win this district because I think Coach King deserves it. He's been there a long time and has had some bad teams come through but still stuck with it when most coaches would have tried to move on to a better program or quit all together. I'm just saying don't be suprised if someone else gets player of the year.