District 7A MVP?

CallItRight

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree with your post. There are about 3 hitters on Jackson Co's team that are hitting above 400 and are excellent in the field besides Collier. Peyton Ragland is hitting 430+ with 3 hrs and has only struck out once all season so far. He is also a very versitale player. He plays RF, SS, and is also a pitcher making him an even contendor. Also, all of his hrs have been hit 350+ feet, one being measured at 382 ft. Not to mention, this kid is only a Sophomore! He is a very even contendor. Also, Forrest Driver, Senior, is hitting above 500 at this point in the season with 2 hrs, and as a 2Baseman has only made 2 errors with his junior and senior year combined making him automatic in the field. I believe that JC has both the Best Pitcher and MVP this year with more than one kid being a contendor.

I give you this. JC has the best pitcher in the district, they have the best team, and they have a lot of really good players. But when its hard to tell the best player on your team, its hard to say he deserves it over Key. Evan has 8 home runs, I mis-stated that the other day, 4 at home, 4 on the road. So he has spread his around, they didn't just come at home. Don't try to down grade this kids ability by "cheapening" his home runs, I'm guessing some of you never hit one. I hit one, the hardest thing I have ever done, and couldn't tell someone how to hit a homerun, but this kid has done it game in and game out this year, and three of those homeruns have come on a bad hamstring, so don't try to take that away from him. These kids at JC have great stats too, I agree and I am not taking anything away from JC's kids, I'm just making the case for Key. He leads in HR's (8) I'm guessing, has a .475 avg 25 RBI's 19 runs and a .563 OBP. MVP is an individual award, it doesn't matter where your team finishes. Yes, a lot of the time, the MVP comes from the best teams, but not always, as swanson stated. Sometimes the best team has a lot of really good players, but not a player who "sticks" out. JC has that with Collier, but he's gonna get Pitcher of the Year, so he won't be elligible for this award. I believe that coaches will ultimately vote for Evan on Monday, cause offensively he is the "complete package" and defensively he has helped his team as well. Anyway that is just my opinion.

Edited by 7asuperfan

This was a similar case when I graduated in 06, only JC, Clay, and Monterey were near evenly talented and nobody was a clear favorite. Monterey had Horton who won pitcher of the year, Celina had Campbell who could've just as easily won pitcher of the year, instead he won player of the year and JC's top 4 hitters were batting over .440. Monterey ended up the season 1st, Clay 2nd and JC 3rd and I think that was the deciding factor for pitcher of the year . . MVP voting was very close though. Drew ended up beating me by one vote. Coaches notice a good hitter. I still think, even though JC gets pitcher of the year, that Ragland should get the award.

Jackson County could very well carry both pitcher and player of the year. They will easily get pitcher of the year, but player of the year, as stated before, is an individual award. Like I said when I played a guy got it who played on a team that didn't even make it out of the play-in game in the district tournament, but he was still deserving because he was an exceptional ball player who couldn't help how the team around him was. Every team has a player that stands out and is probably the MVP of his team, but each player will be looked at individually and not by the quality of the team around them. If that was the case then JC would get player of the year, pitcher of the year, and all of the all districts because they've only allowed 4 or 5 runs to district teams and beat everyone by 10+ runs.

Edited by swanson71

I have not seen Pickett play this year and don't know their record so I don't know what kind of pitching all those HR's and stat's came off of. I do know that J.C. see's everybody's best every night out. If Pickett is struggling in the w/l column, then you might be getting other teams younger pitchers who need work.. . especially outside the district. Not saying thats the case for P.C. but I'm sure all J.C. players stats are against everybodys #1

I do know that J.C. see's everybody's best every night out.

I'm the only time JC probably see's everybody's best is during district games. Outside the district they may occassionally see a teams ace but only times when they don't have a district game coming up or haven't played one prior and still teams may use the time to still rest their top 2 pitchers, same concept goes for all teams. Jackson County does it too, for example, like they did in the game against Friendship. Had JC pitched Collier they might have even snuck out the win. The other teams in this district probably face tougher pitching than JC just because other teams have to face JC's pitching and JC can't face their own pitching.