Clausen status for UGA in doubt.

KevB1990

Posted by KevB1990:

I just happened to notice this while checking out ESPN.com

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2002/1009/1443336.html

Looks like we may see C.J. Leak on the field in Athens.

I saw this on Monday on a UT Message board. Clausen & Kelley Washington did not practice yesterday Casey could be a game time decision Leak & Banks have been working at QB. You might even see Kelley work a play or to at QB if Casey can't go.

Also both Cedric Houston and Alex Walls are still out this week.

Posted by swamp:

I'll bet Fulmer wishes he hadn't ran AJ Suggs right about now!

Actually swamp take a look at the Georgia Tech season...then tell me if Fulmer wishes Suggs was around. I like Leak's mechanics...and feel fine if he has to see duty.

I mean Suggs is 4-2, but his completion percentage is in the low 50s, he has just about as many INTs as TDs and two of those wins came against Uconn and Vandy....two jobbers. UNC isn't that impressive either and Clemson, average at best, downed the Jackets and then Wake Forrest....so yeah, I will take a Vol backup over Suggs who I always thought had that look on his face....you know the look I mean...the lights are on, but nobody is home look.

[Edited by TankTalk on 10-10-02 2:33P]

Posted by TankTalk:
Posted by swamp:

I'll bet Fulmer wishes he hadn't ran AJ Suggs right about now!

Actually swamp take a look at the Georgia Tech season...then tell me if Fulmer wishes Suggs was around. I like Leak's mechanics...and feel fine if he has to see duty.

I mean Suggs is 4-2, but his completion percentage is in the low 50s, he has just about as many INTs as TDs and two of those wins came against Uconn and Vandy....two jobbers. UNC isn't that impressive either and Clemson, average at best, downed the Jackets and then Wake Forrest....so yeah, I will take a Vol backup over Suggs who I always thought had that look on his face....you know the look I mean...the lights are on, but nobody is home look.

[Edited by TankTalk on 10-10-02 2:33P]

No. Fulmer wishes he hadn't signed Suggs so Simms would be the BMOC. Of course Clausen probably doesn't come either and everything to this point would be moot.

Still, Simms is overrated, just like Texas and OU's defense will expose that this Saturday in the Big D.

A Memphis Sports Radio Station reported this morning that Casey Clausens mother had a meeting with Fulmer Monday morning. She gave him and I quote "an earful and then some" for playing her son because he was injured...Apparently she was upset and said

"Would you play your son in a game if he was hurt that badly?"

I am not saying any of this is true, but rather that a sports radio station reported it. I find it ironic that the Commercial Appeal has in big bold headlines, Fulmer saying that Clausen does not have anything broken.

James Banks in no way compares to AJ Suggs...The numbers are not that great for Suggs, but Banks is new, and does not have any experience at all, much less experience this year in a big game enviroment on the road.

I do not like Suggs, I do not like Georgia Tech, but he is a better qb right now then Banks...

By the way, perhaps his numbers are down because he has played injured for some of the year...and the game against Clemson was played in a driving rainstorm.

Suggs doesn't have much of a surrounding cast either. I mean, they lost? to Wake for goodness' sake. I don't know if Simms would be the BMOC or not at UTK... given Fulmer's record with backup QB's and playing the best, he probably would. SportsTalk today said that Joey Matthews could have been waiting in the wings, too. I like GT as much as anyone can like an ACC team, I guess. I thought Suggs was a scapegoat in 2000; let him take the fall against Florida and Georgia (horrible play calling against UF, not to mention the drive - I blame the coaching for not calling an inside run and getting the first down plus that horrid mustang package; then there was the awful line play against UGa which also wasn't Suggs' fault); Clausen beats Vandy and KY and he's the next Peyton Manning.

Posted by gomab2:

Good post Swamp on Suggs. Suggs is average, but he's better than Clausen. Clausen is terrible.....

James Banks could be a future star, but he will still have to wait this year and next before getting a real chance to start.....Banks is the ANSWER...

Amen to that!!! Why would Fulmer even go to California to get a quarterback? You'd think there would be plenty of good players in the south. I think they need to get that Jim Bob Cooter kid ready. Anybody that can make a 34 out of 35 on the ACT could surly learn the plays. I heard them say they were only running about 10% of their plays because the other qb's couldn't grasp them.