Best Newspaper Coverage....

TheAnswer9

I read the Prep Scrapbook in the One Paper (also free) and City Paper along with the Tennessean. I think the City paper does a better job than the Tennessean, but it seems to cater to private schools. The Tennessean makes me wonder if their reporters have seen any of the teams really play. And the Prep Primer is stupid....fun with nicknames? Lastnames? who cares, talk about the kids and the programs....and not just MBA, BA, CPA talk Metro, Dickson, Rutherford, Wilson, etc.....That is one thing I think the Prep Scrapbook does better than the others I read, they cover all sizes public and private.....plus I have actually ran into their staff reporters unlike the Tennessean's bunch...

[Edited by Rustynail on 10-11-02 9:48A]

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tennessean has done a better job of covering football than in the past. I am hoping that will carry over to winter/spring sports as well.

However, if I want to know how teams are doing in my area, or another part of the state, I will get on Coacht.

I imagine the major newspapers are aware of Coacht. They do not want to lose circulation. This alone may cause them to increase their coverage of high schools.

The City paper, local in Nashville, has done a great job of sports coverage under Dominic Bonvissuto

Well, I agree the Tennessean is doing better, but still it is weak and playing catch up...I guess the small independants seem to be doing much better with far less resources.....to me the Tennessean is just trying to make sure it captures all the money it can. The other guys seem to be doing it for the game.

Tank, first off, I am sorry your paper did not make it and my posts never insinuated otherwise. I am certain with Goose onboard and even you with your passion for local Roane Cuunty/Morgan County sports that the paper was great. I just recently moved back to East Tennessee, so I never had an oppurtunity to read it. After reading your reply, it would seem you would lead people to believe that I in some way boasted about your paper not succeeding. There were no jabs. I am am sorry to see anyone that invests time and energy and dedicaiton to any sports not succeed especially as you said considering the circumstances. But, this post wasnt about that and I dont want it to be turned into that. Lets stay on the subject at hand.

Your posts were critical, underminding the intelligence, understanding, and background involved on the LITTLE info I decided to reveal to you becsaue I knew where you wanted to go. You gave anologies of Sports Illustrated, your paper, and RESUME/EXPERTISE as a way to object and be cynical. You made this personal, not me. Now you have taken one step further with insults questioning my attitude using "others"" think so to, spouting off about financial questions, and questioning expertise. My attitude is ok and sometimes I realize that typing can be constured differently than when spekaing when same words are used. WIth yur background, I am certain you are aware of that. Yes, I have been in some disagreements on this board I never claimed to be a brain surgeon, but you are the one that threw your resume/experience around, not me. The financial issues you raised are a valid ones that looks like there are solutions. so, my question to you is why is there an obvious chip on your shoulder? No one questioned your background, as you did with me. Your understanding of newpapers, as you did with me. The ability to understand the demographics of a newspaper, as you did with me. I dont feel the need to throw my background and resume around. ANd yes,I am quite aware that Coacht.com/ high school boards are for- the kids that particapate, not for resumes and disagreements like this.

Have you always got so defensive when questioned?

Take it easy.

All I did was question whether 6 or 8 people would be able to cover 60 plus schools in east Tennessee. I did mention that I would love to talk with the ones involved and I did have a little experience. I was not boasting. If being confident about your life experiences and work ethic is boasting...then I should be ashamed.

And your post was so off, it was rather amusing and you were still able to avoid answering any questions. You made all these points about me questioning you and your posts, well...what's your point? You shouldn't post on this board and not expect to get questioned especially when you "tease" people with your paper. If the people who you claim to be doing this are rich and the best sports writers in east Tennessee, I am happy. If you are blowing hotair, which you have been known to do on here, then I won't be the only one shocked. I have no chip on my shoulder, but being a person who has been involved with sports media my entire adult life, the thought of an all-sports publication in east Tennessee of course got me perked up. Don't confuse a chip with anticipation of something potentially wonderful for the area. And I would hope you and your business partners use your paper for good and not to make money off the hard work of high school athletes. Goose and myself gave MUCH money to all county schools in our first year and had planned on doing so throughout our time with the paper.

So many organizations, papers, radio stations and TV stations, roll into town and sell their advertsing and make a load of cash of high school athletics and NEVER give a dime back.

I think you should stick with "mistake on the lake" comments instead of trying to tear down my credibility. In any situation I have ever been in, the kids and love of the game was my primary concern. I have quit jobs before because the kids have been used and treated unfairly. If I am a bad person because I truly care about the future of high school athletics, then you are blinded by something. This is a board and words have never affected me, but don't tear down an individual you have no idea about. People for the most part know who I am on this board. They know your Username.

Posted by OS91:

Tank, first off, I am sorry your paper did not make it and my posts never insinuated otherwise. I am certain with Goose onboard and even you with your passion for local Roane Cuunty/Morgan County sports that the paper was great. I just recently moved back to East Tennessee, so I never had an oppurtunity to read it. After reading your reply, it would seem you would lead people to believe that I in some way boasted about your paper not succeeding. There were no jabs. I am am sorry to see anyone that invests time and energy and dedicaiton to any sports not succeed especially as you said considering the circumstances. But, this post wasnt about that and I dont want it to be turned into that. Lets stay on the subject at hand.

Your posts were critical, underminding the intelligence, understanding, and background involved on the LITTLE info I decided to reveal to you becsaue I knew where you wanted to go. You gave anologies of Sports Illustrated, your paper, and RESUME/EXPERTISE as a way to object and be cynical. You made this personal, not me. Now you have taken one step further with insults questioning my attitude using "others"" think so to, spouting off about financial questions, and questioning expertise. My attitude is ok and sometimes I realize that typing can be constured differently than when spekaing when same words are used. WIth yur background, I am certain you are aware of that. Yes, I have been in some disagreements on this board I never claimed to be a brain surgeon, but you are the one that threw your resume/experience around, not me. The financial issues you raised are a valid ones that looks like there are solutions. so, my question to you is why is there an obvious chip on your shoulder? No one questioned your background, as you did with me. Your understanding of newpapers, as you did with me. The ability to understand the demographics of a newspaper, as you did with me. I dont feel the need to throw my background and resume around. ANd yes,I am quite aware that Coacht.com/ high school boards are for- the kids that particapate, not for resumes and disagreements like this.

Hey OS91 and Tank, I think you guys have gone out of control. When Tank first asked about who was doing the paper I think he did so because he was interested im trying to land a job with them. I know that Tank lives in Middle Tennessee and wants to get back into sports media in East Tennessee, but right now there aren't any openings. I think his questioning was for personal gains.

As far as can the paper make it with a few people. Yes it can as long as everyone is dedicated. Less people keeps expenses down. The people will have to bust their humps, but I have always believed that sports will sell itself. Heck I was making money with the Sports Report, but I was offered the job here at the Roane County News and couldn't pass it up. All I ever wanted to do was cover sports, not sell ads and run a business.

I wish the people who are going to do this well and if I can help them out I will. A paper dedicated only to sports is a great idea. I know here at the paper I always gripe to the higher-ups about needing more space and you don't have that problem if you do it yourself.

Oh well, good luck and I think Tank and OS91 have turned a misunderstanding into a possible WWF Pay-Per-View.

Hmmm, if there is going to be a "rasslin" match, I need to work out some.

Posted by goosevol:

Hey OS91 and Tank, I think you guys have gone out of control. When Tank first asked about who was doing the paper I think he did so because he was interested im trying to land a job with them. I know that Tank lives in Middle Tennessee and wants to get back into sports media in East Tennessee, but right now there aren't any openings. I think his questioning was for personal gains.

As far as can the paper make it with a few people. Yes it can as long as everyone is dedicated. Less people keeps expenses down. The people will have to bust their humps, but I have always believed that sports will sell itself. Heck I was making money with the Sports Report, but I was offered the job here at the Roane County News and couldn't pass it up. All I ever wanted to do was cover sports, not sell ads and run a business.

I wish the people who are going to do this well and if I can help them out I will. A paper dedicated only to sports is a great idea. I know here at the paper I always gripe to the higher-ups about needing more space and you don't have that problem if you do it yourself.

Oh well, good luck and I think Tank and OS91 have turned a misunderstanding into a possible WWF Pay-Per-View.

You are way off.. again making comments that are inaccurate- "mistake by the lake" never came from me. That came I think from an OS poster after the Kingston game. I read it and I think I even spoke against that post backtrack on the bottom of coacht.com scroll page and you will see this clearly. Be assured, being an Indians, Browns, and Cavs ( btw, those teams are in Cleveland) fan i am all too familiar with what "mistake on the lake refers. get your facts straight. and if all you have is your expertise, false comments, and trying to rip someones character using "dumb" analogies again of "tired of seeing start up newspapers using businesses money at the expense of high school athletes. Furthermore, I make no apologies about not revealing the potential financing of this project. Using, what other people think to back up an argument, false allegations of posting, and now crying "victim" for businesses to make your point broader and sympathetic is a little desperate don't you think?

If that was not you with the "mistake" comments, I humbly apologize.

It is quite obvious that you are not a person that can handle honesty in posting so this will be my last post on this thread. You have somehow mistaken everything I have said and turned it into a "poor me, Tank is picking on me" thread.

As for your latest post, it is even more obvious you are one who judges people and therefore this thread is no longer fun. Best of luck with your business, hope it goes well. I too, will stick with what I feel...any business that makes money off the kids, should give back.

And the OS Roller Rink has always scared me.

Posted by OS91:

You are way off.. again making comments that are inaccurate- "mistake by the lake" never came from me. That came I think from an OS poster after the Kingston game. I read it and I think I even spoke against that post backtrack on the bottom of coacht.com scroll page and you will see this clearly. Be assured, being an Indians, Browns, and Cavs ( btw, those teams are in Cleveland) fan i am all too familiar with what "mistake on the lake refers. get your facts straight. and if all you have is your expertise, false comments, and trying to rip someones character using "dumb" analogies again of "tired of seeing start up newspapers using businesses money at the expense of high school athletes. Furthermore, I make no apologies about not revealing the potential financing of this project. Using, what other people think to back up an argument, false allegations of posting, and now crying "victim" for businesses to make your point broader and sympathetic is a little desperate don't you think?

I admit, I got carried away and should not have allowed this to have gone as far as it did. I was more defensive than I should have been and my apologies on again on that. Too bad, We cant backtrack and erase this, I feel embarrassed now.

Tank, I admit I know little about you except when I played ball you wrote for the RCN at that time. I just know you are passionate and care tremendously for high school athletics and the particpants- that is evident in your posts/work.

Doesn't Midtown have a roller rink?

thanks to goose to for refereeing