Chattanooga Volleyball

smdad

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a question for PHargis or anyone why are volleyball shorts made the way the are? Ive followed vball for about 5 years now and can't find a reason. do they allow you to jump better move quicker scoot on the floor? i know baskettball player wear compression shorts that help if sliding on the floor. How do the volleyball shorts add to or improve performance? if its tradition thats fine too? just looking for a reason? thanks

i am serious someone please give some input/ answers to this??

Edited by OHS80

i am serious someone please give some input/ answers to this??

80, I was waiting for someone else to answer this question and in the past 8 years the question has come up numerous times. There have been good answers given. In fact in the past 2-+ weeks I have seen two or more schools that had shorts made of something different than spandex along with a lightweight top. Had I seen this before, yes. I am going to ask either a player, coach or parent what their thoughts are to your question as CoachT "the man", asked the same question as he had some parents which expressed some dismay over the uniform. There is a wide difference of responces. Some say the uniform is comfortable and flexible with freedom of movement and others say many times fit or non fit is an issue. The cost of the short should be less than one constructed differently with a little larger, longer leg. I said little. Done right the short can look right. A lot of this is tradition. Now if someone would like to give some obvious answers from a player, coach and parents point of view, if they will the answers should get to the point very quickly.

Almost halfway into season in Chattanooga. It depends on what a team has been eating that week to see who is the best. Soddy can play and has beat GPS, Ooltewah, WV, Red Bank, but hasn't beat Baylor. GPS can beat Baylor, Farragut, South, but hasn't beat Soddy. All of them have beat Ooltewah, but Red Bank has beat both DII schools in one week. So what does this mean?? Soddy-Daisy has depth so they get the #1 from me. Baylor has a great outside and a nice middle to boot. Reading the paper and watching the playdays, Tournaments, and reading SMDad, DS4L, COACH Jr it is a fun stab.

1. Soddy-Daisy

2. Baylor

3. GPS

4. Ooltewah

5. Red Bank

6. Signal Mt

7. Bradley Haven't heard that in years

8. Walker Valley

9. East Hamilton

10. Sale Creek

Here goes a stab on an update of the area top 10 - most of the weekend tournaments are over, and teams are trying to finalize rotations. Signal tried a new one tonight, but still lost in 4 to Red Bank 25-20, 25-15, 20 24 and 25-23. Red Bank's middle is just a junior and plays better every time I see her. As for the Top 10, how about this:

1. Soddy-Daisy

2. Baylor

3. GPS

4. Ooltewah

5. Red Bank

6. Walker Valley

7. East Hamilton

8. Signal Mt

9. Notre Dame

10. Sale Creek

It's going to get real interesting in a couple of weeks when District and Region play start, especially in AA. Out of District 6AA only two of Red Bank, Hixson and East Hamilton go to Regions, and East Ridge showed last year they could sneak in there as well, but they will have to start playing a lot better to get there. In District 7AA it should be Signal and Notre Dame, but CCS pulled the upset against Signal earlier this year.

In District 5A it is wide open, as I saw where Silverdale beat Boyd last night. In District 6A, Sale Creek is the clear favorite.

GPS Gets Even With Volleyball Win Over Red Bank

Bruisers Strong As Griffith, Kemp, Lett Lead 3-1 Victory

by John Hunt

posted September 28, 2011

GPS and Red Bank don't play volleyball in the same district or even the same division for that matter, but that doesn't prevent some intense competition when these two meet.

Red Bank defeated GPS by a 3-2 final at Red Bank three weeks ago.

The Bruisers returned the favor Wednesday night, but the match wasn't as close the last time as it was the first.

Improving to 27-12 overall, the Bruisers were ready for action when the first ball was served.

GPS won the first two games by scores of 25-18 and 25-19 before Red Bank rallied with a 25-13 win in game three.

Not wanting any more momentum to swing Red Bank's way, the Bruisers broke from a 19-19 tie to score the next five points, but had to hang on for dear life before prevailing, 25-23.

Red Bank has enjoyed great success this season behind hard-hitting Savannah Nelson and Danielle Moore on the front line.

The Bruisers were ready for the challenge and got superb defensive efforts from Jeneh Perry, Tory Kemp and Destinee Lansden to offset Red Bank's frontline power.

Needless to say, GPS coach Paul Brock was happy to win a match at home against an opponent with a strong volleyball tradition.

"We struggled with them earlier at their place, but we put up a good block defense in the middle today," Brock explained.

"Sara Griffith stepped up today and played her best match of the season. She played well up front and on the back row.

"Losing to them the first time was a good driving force for us today. We have three big region matches this weekend, but overall I thought we played well today.

"We served well and we had good ball control. They were smiling and having fun as they executed the game plan.

"Even in the third game when Red Bank had such a big lead early, I thought we played hard and battled back. There are times when it's tough to come back when you're in a hole, but we never quit playing.

"I think we started to relax after that second game, but we couldn't allow our spirit to drop and we had to get our edge back. They did exactly what I asked," Brock added.

Red Bank coach Christel Brooks felt like her team simply wasn't ready to play at the start and it cost them.

"A few things went their way, but they have an outstanding team. We weren't ready at the beginning. Despite the loss, there were some positives.

"We had nothing to lose in the third game and I think we loosened up a little. We didn't want to just lay down and lose three straight.

"We didn't play our best from start to finish, but there were some stretches where we played pretty well.

"We're doing some things better than we were, so we'll try to build on the positives," Brooks added.

Tory Kemp was all over the place for the Bruisers as she finished with 13 kills, 22 assists, 15 digs, five blocks and two aces.

Sadie Lett, whose kill clinched the match at the end of game four, finished the day with 11 kills and 18 assists. She also got credit for 21 digs and three aces.

Griffith had a dozen kills and 13 digs, in addition to three aces and a block.

Nelson was one of Red Bank's leaders with 14 kills, four blocks and four aces.

Moore was equally as valuable with 13 kills and 14 digs.

Abby Graham had 35 assists while Ansley Helton had 32 digs. Rachel Hargis followed with 18 digs.

Red Bank returns to action with a district match at Cleveland on Thurssday.

GPS will be in Nashville this week for key region matches, including at Father Ryan on Friday and then Saturday at Ensworth for a three-way with the Lady Tigers and Pope John Paul II.

RED BANK STATS:

Abby Graham -- 35 assists, 9 digs;

Ansley Helton -- 32 digs;

Chafelma Mumba -- 3 kills, 8 digs;

Danielle Moore -- 13 kills, 14 digs;

Rachel Hargis -- 18 digs, 2 aces;

Savannah Nelson -- 14 kills, 4 blocks, 4 aces.

GPS STATS:

Mary Margaret Taylor -- 1 ace, 3 digs;

Kelby Crownover -- 1 ace, 15 digs;

Jeneh Perry -- 4 kills, 7 blocks;

Olivia Berger -- 5 kills, 16 digs, 3 blocks;

Sara Griffith -- 12 kills, 13 digs, 3 aces, 1 block;

Tory Kemp -- 13 kills, 22 assists, 15 digs, 5 blocks, 2 aces;

Destinee Lansden -- 6 kills, 5 blocks;

Sadie Lett -- 11 kills, 18 assists, 3 aces, 21 digs;

Kristen Warren -- 1 ace, 2 digs.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

GPS Gets Even With Volleyball Win Over Red Bank

Bruisers Strong As Griffith, Kemp, Lett Lead 3-1 Victory

by John Hunt

posted September 28, 2011

GPS and Red Bank don't play volleyball in the same district or even the same division for that matter, but that doesn't prevent some intense competition when these two meet.

Red Bank defeated GPS by a 3-2 final at Red Bank three weeks ago.

The Bruisers returned the favor Wednesday night, but the match wasn't as close the last time as it was the first.

Improving to 27-12 overall, the Bruisers were ready for action when the first ball was served.

GPS won the first two games by scores of 25-18 and 25-19 before Red Bank rallied with a 25-13 win in game three.

Not wanting any more momentum to swing Red Bank's way, the Bruisers broke from a 19-19 tie to score the next five points, but had to hang on for dear life before prevailing, 25-23.

Red Bank has enjoyed great success this season behind hard-hitting Savannah Nelson and Danielle Moore on the front line.

The Bruisers were ready for the challenge and got superb defensive efforts from Jeneh Perry, Tory Kemp and Destinee Lansden to offset Red Bank's frontline power.

Needless to say, GPS coach Paul Brock was happy to win a match at home against an opponent with a strong volleyball tradition.

"We struggled with them earlier at their place, but we put up a good block defense in the middle today," Brock explained.

"Sara Griffith stepped up today and played her best match of the season. She played well up front and on the back row.

"Losing to them the first time was a good driving force for us today. We have three big region matches this weekend, but overall I thought we played well today.

"We served well and we had good ball control. They were smiling and having fun as they executed the game plan.

"Even in the third game when Red Bank had such a big lead early, I thought we played hard and battled back. There are times when it's tough to come back when you're in a hole, but we never quit playing.

"I think we started to relax after that second game, but we couldn't allow our spirit to drop and we had to get our edge back. They did exactly what I asked," Brock added.

Red Bank coach Christel Brooks felt like her team simply wasn't ready to play at the start and it cost them.

"A few things went their way, but they have an outstanding team. We weren't ready at the beginning. Despite the loss, there were some positives.

"We had nothing to lose in the third game and I think we loosened up a little. We didn't want to just lay down and lose three straight.

"We didn't play our best from start to finish, but there were some stretches where we played pretty well.

"We're doing some things better than we were, so we'll try to build on the positives," Brooks added.

Tory Kemp was all over the place for the Bruisers as she finished with 13 kills, 22 assists, 15 digs, five blocks and two aces.

Sadie Lett, whose kill clinched the match at the end of game four, finished the day with 11 kills and 18 assists. She also got credit for 21 digs and three aces.

Griffith had a dozen kills and 13 digs, in addition to three aces and a block.

Nelson was one of Red Bank's leaders with 14 kills, four blocks and four aces.

Moore was equally as valuable with 13 kills and 14 digs.

Abby Graham had 35 assists while Ansley Helton had 32 digs. Rachel Hargis followed with 18 digs.

Red Bank returns to action with a district match at Cleveland on Thurssday.

GPS will be in Nashville this week for key region matches, including at Father Ryan on Friday and then Saturday at Ensworth for a three-way with the Lady Tigers and Pope John Paul II.

RED BANK STATS:

Abby Graham -- 35 assists, 9 digs;

Ansley Helton -- 32 digs;

Chafelma Mumba -- 3 kills, 8 digs;

Danielle Moore -- 13 kills, 14 digs;

Rachel Hargis -- 18 digs, 2 aces;

Savannah Nelson -- 14 kills, 4 blocks, 4 aces.

GPS STATS:

Mary Margaret Taylor -- 1 ace, 3 digs;

Kelby Crownover -- 1 ace, 15 digs;

Jeneh Perry -- 4 kills, 7 blocks;

Olivia Berger -- 5 kills, 16 digs, 3 blocks;

Sara Griffith -- 12 kills, 13 digs, 3 aces, 1 block;

Tory Kemp -- 13 kills, 22 assists, 15 digs, 5 blocks, 2 aces;

Destinee Lansden -- 6 kills, 5 blocks;

Sadie Lett -- 11 kills, 18 assists, 3 aces, 21 digs;

Kristen Warren -- 1 ace, 2 digs.

(Email John Hunt at [email protected])

Who does it look like the single A team that would give Sale Creek would be out of that region, Ive heard Friendship is pretty good, any thoughts ?

A bittersweet night last night as Signal Mountain celebrated senior night, and my direct involvement in high school volleyball for seven of the last eight years nears a close, because my youngest daughter is a senior this year. It was a good night as Signal shook of some poor play from earlier in the week, and beat Baylor three games to one. A shout out to all of the Eagle seniors, who came in as freshman and have played since the beginning of the program: Callie Hildebrand, Laura Powell, Allie Jennings, Carly Jonakin and Maggie Garth.

With the regular season coming to a close, I had thought about an updated Chattanooga top 10. After the top team (Soddy in a landslide), it gets really tough:

1. Soddy-Daisy

2. Baylor

3. Red Bank

4. Ooltewah

5. Notre Dame

6. GPS

7. East Hamilton

8. Signal Mt

9. Walker Valley

10. Hixson

Next week is District Tournament Time. Even though upsets are always a possibility, the most interesting tournament should be 6-AA, as one of Red Bank, East Hamilton and Hixson doesn't advance to Regionals, and that three way contest is to close to call.

SMDAD, Congrads on your daughter she is a great player. Beating Baylor is hugh going into next week.

I really feel that Chattanooga will turn out this way.

A. 1. Sale Creek, 2. Boyd

AA 1. Red Bank, 2. Notre Dame

AAA 1. Soddy, 2. Ooltewah

DII 1. Baylor, 2 GPS

Going to State: Sale Creek, Soddy, Baylor and GPS

Thank you Chattanooga volleyball