Knoxville Volleyball

K2ruth

When did Anderson County ever host a playday? Are you sure?

Does Farragut count playday wins on their record? I thought you only counted regular season wins and losses?

The way he posted it made it sound like Farragut had beaten AC for real. Does Farragut always count play days as real matches? Who else does that?

You are not even close to being as cute and clever as you think.

When did Anderson County ever host a playday? Are you sure?

Does Farragut count playday wins on their record? I thought you only counted regular season wins and losses?

The way he posted it made it sound like Farragut had beaten AC for real. Does Farragut always count play days as real matches? Who else does that?

Quit trolling. They played this summer at AC and won. It was a scrimmage, a play day, a game, a skirmish, a volley, a match, or whichever term you'd like to use. The fact that you scoured the internet in hopes to disprove my post and failed is hilarious. I do my homework.

Farragut looked average at the Tandem this weekend. They got knocked out first round. They have a really good OH (didn't get name) who hits hard. I also like the setter! The middles were slow and they have 2 really weak hitters. The lack of blocking will make them an easy out against any team that hits hard, or who has 3 or more hitters. They couldn't stop a strong middle. They make too many errors, and when they get blocked they quit hitting. I was not impressed, and made a point to watch them because of the hype which appears to have been dad or coach generated.

How is Karns this year? They looked strong last season. What about Stone Memorial? I think they could make noise in AA.

Does Catholic have anything? Didn't they move up to AAA?

I didn't go to the Tandem but I have the tape. A few of Farraguts hitters do tend to shy away when the opponent's blocking is strong, but that can also be related to inconsistent sets and the fact that imo the sets are not evenly distributed. In order to go far a team's offensive attack has to be very multiple which at this point, Farragut's has not been. I'd love to post some blocking stats for you because I think you're wrong about that, but I haven't watched the tape yet. The hype regarding Farragut is based on conversations about who will come out of Knoxville, not who will win state. I still think Farragut will be there, but once there the whole game changes. The competition in 4-AAA is not strong enough to prepare a team for state, so they will have to rely on experience and resiliance garnered from club ball if they want to advance.

As far as Karns goes they graduated alot of the talent that made them what they were in the past few years. They are still a formidable team with a good coach but I don't see them getting past Anderson County.

I liked the setter? She and the big hitter worked well together.

If those are your normal hitters why should she spread it around, they were much weaker. It only looked like you had the one strong hitter but they might have been just having a bad day.

Inconsistent hitting will kill an offense. If that is a problem it is a big one. I heard several parents grumbling about who should be playing.

Are you one of the coaches?

I am really curious about Stone Memorial, have you played them yet?

Maryville 'gratified' after stunning Bearden

By John Shearer

Knoxville News Sentinel

Posted September 20, 2011 at 10:28 p.m.

.DiscussPrintAAA.First-year Maryville High School volleyball coach Nichole Dzikus called Tuesday night's victory at Bearden simply a relief.

A Lady Rebel fan or non-partisan observer might have used a more defining term — like program-builder. Especially considering the fact that Maryville (10-8, 3-4 District 4-AAA) added to the drama of the moment by taking a marathon five games to claim the win.

"I'm proud of it," said Dzikus, a former Ohio State-Lima player who coached the Maryville junior varsity last year. "They beat us the first time around. I'm gratified to see our team improve."

Not only did Bearden (21-7, 7-2) beat the Lady Rebels earlier in the season, but the Lady Bulldogs did it in three straight games.

Tuesday night, in what was the first match of a four-team doubleheader, the same outcome seemed likely again after the Lady Bulldogs dominated the first game, winning 25-15.

The second game, however, began to set a different tone, as Maryville raced out to a 15-8 lead and won 25-21.

The match was tightening up — and so was the score, as Maryville prevailed 28-26 in the third.

Bearden regrouped in the fourth game and had a 10-point lead, but the Lady Rebels battled back to cut the lead to 2 before losing, 25-21.

The tie-breaking fifth game was all Maryville, 15-8.

"That was big to come back and win because Bearden is a great team," said Dzikus, whose team had three wins in the Blount County Tournament on Monday night. "They have great blockers."

Bearden coach Jennifer Allen said the loss was part of an unfortunate recent trend.

"We're just kind of in a slump," she said, adding that she hopes they can snap back by the time of the district tournament. "I don't know what it is. It started last week. We're not playing to our potential."

However, Allen also was quick to credit Maryville.

"They did a good job," she said. "They just outplayed us."

Among the standouts for Maryville, Caroline Jenkins had 19 attempts, 10 kills and 4 blocks, while Miranda Maples had 27 attempts, 15 kills and 3 blocks.

Jordan Garrison aided the Lady Rebel effort with 72 attempts and 36 assists.

Brittany Sliger led Bearden effort 15 kills, 14 points and 3 aces, while Kristen Randolph had 11 kills and 5 blocks

Heritage volleyball sweeps West, Bearden

[email protected]

The Heritage volleyball team swept West and Bearden in district matches on Tuesday. The Lady Mountaineers got 13 points, two aces and one kill from Taylor Dennis and two points, 15 kills and five blocks from Autumn Ricketts in the 25-20, 25-18, 25-22 win over West. In a 26-24, 25-22, 20-25, 26-24 win over Bearden, Ricketts had seven points, three aces, 20 kills and nine blocks, while Katie Miller had 10 points, four aces and 41 sets.

Stone Memorial is a solid team. They are the best AA team in our area. Not really in the class of Red Bank. They were at the Early Bird, and I thought they were solid. If you have watched Farragut, they play similar to Stone M, but Farr has more talent. Both teams have a couple of strong hitters, but they try to spread the sets around instead of going to the hot hitter. Farr would probably beat Stone in 4, and is probably 3 or 4 points better. Stone doesn't have anybody as powerful as Farr's big outside, and they don't block as well as Farr. Stone is better defensively. Both are inconsistent with serves. Red Bank will handle SM if they meet in sub-state.

Stone Memorial is a solid team. They are the best AA team in our area. Not really in the class of Red Bank. They were at the Early Bird, and I thought they were solid. If you have watched Farragut, they play similar to Stone M, but Farr has more talent. Both teams have a couple of strong hitters, but they try to spread the sets around instead of going to the hot hitter. Farr would probably beat Stone in 4, and is probably 3 or 4 points better. Stone doesn't have anybody as powerful as Farr's big outside, and they don't block as well as Farr. Stone is better defensively. Both are inconsistent with serves. Red Bank will handle SM if they meet in sub-state.

Oak Ridge is having a rough year. A ton of talent, and they only lost 1 player from last season, but they are losing to everybody.

CAK is solid, but not as good as Stone Memorial. They have 1 really good player then a pretty steep drop off.

Anderson County beat Hardin Valley last night to stay unbeaten. 4 Knoxville area teams have separated themselves: AC-HV-Farr and Webb in that order. AC has already beaten Farr, and HV and Farr haven't played yet. Farr has a weak district, they shouldn't really have any problem winning their district, then they will have a TOUGH match with a well coached HV team in the first round of the region.