Knoxville Volleyball

K2ruth

Bratman, good to hear from you during this time. I know you asked about Pageman. His health has been bad and he has had toi get some maintence done the past few months and its not sure how long he will be unable to get to matches but he does keep up with page still and seems to be recouping all right.

As you might think, Anderson has no District losses and has now beaten Hardin twice. Hardin is good. Karns does not seem quite as good and is in the midst of retooling after that great year. Faragutt is undefeated in District and you can read what has been posted about them.

Great to hear from you.

Hardin Valley has beaten Webb twice and lost to them once. AC has beaten HV twice and Farragut once and has not lost to any team in the Region, they play Webb this week, Farragut has not beaten any of the other three losing to AC and not playing Webb or HV.

I agree that the order should be AC-HV-Webb-Farragut. The Farragut coach played a really weak area schedule. Even when they hosted the early bird they put themselves in a weak pool. Farragut is in a really easy district, but will have their hand full with HV in the Region. I think HV is playing really well, and is well coached. Farragut can't hide from HV forever. Playing a soft schedule hurts at the end of the year.

HV is getting zero attention! If they weren't in AC's district they would be having a monster year!

AC has not lost to HV. The parent is probably talking about HV taking a game off of AC, not a match. AC is unbeaten against all district and Region teams. I think CAK did beat them in a best of 3 tournament match, but not during the regular season. HV took AC to 5 Tuesday night, but still lost. However, HV is playing great right now. They move the ball well, have several tough hitters, and are a strong serving team. This school is really new, and has been knocking on the door for a while.

If things play out like they should with AC and HV finishing 1 and 2, and Farragut winning the other district, the HV vs Farragut match will be a war. HV and Farr are natural geographic rivals, with HV pulling students that would have gone to Farr. Also, Farr has dodged HV this year. HV tried to schedule all of the tough teams, but Farr wouldn't play them. HV is getting better, but Farr played their best ball early, and a weak schedule will hurt in the tournament.

Clubonlyforus are you a Farr parent? I know all of the Farr girls play club. How has the high school experience been vs the club experience? Which did you prefer? We are trying to get more girls to play club, do you think it is worth the cost?

No I am not a Farragut parent. We like club ball because of there is much less drama, much better teams to play and better tournaments, and because everyone on the team is committed to volleyball instead of just playing it because it is in the season. Most of the time, from my experience, high school coaches are not as good as an average club coach. Schools like AC are the exception because of being able to take mostly non club players and teach them to beat teams that play volleyball 12 months a year.

Is it worth the cost? Depends on your goals I guess. I do think that if your going to pay for club, then you might as well find the top club in your area. No reason to half-do-it.

I want our girls to play club. Anderson County is an exception, but most high school teams don't have the college level coaching or infrastructure that AC has. Still, I think a combination of good high school coaching and heavy club involvement is a recipe for success. Look at HV. Solid highschool coaching, lot of girls playing club, good success. Webb and Catholic have it, Farragut used to have it with Coach Moore, but the new coach relies too much on club.

Here in Knoxville we have 3 good clubs, which one do you think is best?

As far as HV goes, I heard their jv has beat their varsity. If that is the case, then I would say the coaching is not up to par because they are not playing the best players. That is one thing I left off about my opinion of high school ball is the coach's desire to play upper classmen above better players. I totally understand school ball is about learning the sport, playing times, etc. I think that all plays a part in middle school, junior varsity, practice, play days, etc. But, varsity games should be only about winning - period.

Even so there are approx. five clubs in the area, The two front runners seem to be K2 and Phoenix Rising. I have looked on the SRVA website and noticed that most if not all "1" teams from K2 were ranked higher than any of the PR teams. If you have a player that may be a little weak in the position she wants to play in, you are probably better off with a smaller club, because you have a better chance to talk to the coach and have her play the position she wants as opposed to a larger club that has a larger "pool" to pull from and may have her playing something else.

This club may be perfect for us and not the best fit for another. Luckily, most tryouts happen in a way that you can go to more than one club and get a "feel" before committing.

Totally agree about playing your best and not just the upper classman. I don't think HV's jv could beat their varsity. I do know that Farragut has struggled with 2 of their hitters while a fantastic freshman sits. In Farraguts case thats why this coach was picked. It was a pure political move. She came in with the understanding as to who was going to play. I hate that. Play the best.

No way I would send anyone to Phoenix Rising. It is a recruiting tool for Karns. Her best player this year is a club recruit that should be at Powell. Last year her best player should have been at Farragut.

Don't discount HV. I think they are good enough to make the state tournament.

Best, worst all of this is rather unbelieveable. This site is for High School coaches. They are paid to do their best. Thats why they are there. If they dont do well, they will know it. The question seems is someone mettling with their team. They run their team and the parents depend on their High School coach as well as the school. If they need help, they will quietly ask for it, otherwise swim or sink. This is not club.

Edited by PHargis

Totally agree about playing your best and not just the upper classman. I don't think HV's jv could beat their varsity. I do know that Farragut has struggled with 2 of their hitters while a fantastic freshman sits. In Farraguts case thats why this coach was picked. It was a pure political move. She came in with the understanding as to who was going to play. I hate that. Play the best.

No way I would send anyone to Phoenix Rising. It is a recruiting tool for Karns. Her best player this year is a club recruit that should be at Powell. Last year her best player should have been at Farragut.

Don't discount HV. I think they are good enough to make the state tournament.

Farragut does have a FANTASTIC FRESHMAN who plays all the way around - while the libero starts for her back row, once she is on the court, she usually stays on the court so not sure what the point is about a freshman sitting. The coach is also giving other freshman some pretty good playing time. The rest I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole. I'm glad these girls work together and have faith in each other. It is not about egos or being "rich kids" either as some previous posters have noted. These girls work hard and the play hard.