MUS vs. South Panola (Predictions and thoughts)

derew12

Arguably one of MUS' toughest games of the year, will MUS be able to win and/or compete with SP? My thoughts on the game are that if the Owls can begin to execute and hold on to the ball, the game will be exciting and a good competition. Execution is a must though, and the Owls have been off and on two weeks into the season.

SP is coming off of a tough loss at Hoover and will be looking for someone on which to take out their frustration. This game is at SP, and promises to have a full stadium. Come for the excitement, stay for the action. SP vs. MUS 2011 edition.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arguably one of MUS' toughest games of the year, will MUS be able to win and/or compete with SP? My thoughts on the game are that if the Owls can begin to execute and hold on to the ball, the game will be exciting and a good competition. Execution is a must though, and the Owls have been off and on two weeks into the season.

SP is coming off of a tough loss at Hoover and will be looking for someone on which to take out their frustration. This game is at SP, and promises to have a full stadium. Come for the excitement, stay for the action. SP vs. MUS 2011 edition.

I believe MUS has what it takes to beat them, but if the QB plays like he did against Ensworth they will loose by a lot. MUS needs to watch the Hoover/South Panola film and watch how the Hoover QB picked the SP defense apart. The MUS D-fense needs to stack the box, because from what I saw of SP last week, the QB can't throw the ball at all. I'm an MUS homer, so I predict an MUS victory. 24-21

Losing 18 starters (and the offensive coordinator) has finally caught up to SP if the Hoover game is a good indicator...and I think it is. The defense is starting 4 10th grade defensive backs and the drop off at tailback has been pretty big. Still a good bit of talent there but those who griped about SP's QB play last year and why the little, unathletic kid was getting most of the snaps there except for the wildcat plays are now strangely quiet. The kid playing QB is not a QB...just that simple really. Good athlete. Not a QB.

MUS is far too well coached on defense not to take major advantage of SP's offensive issues. The offensive line is still big and still talented. I expect they'll try some running game changes this week but I don't think it will be enough. I suspect it will be a grinding game but if MUS can avoid turnovers in the passing game, protect the QB reasonably well, and finish a couple of drives with TDs, I think the Owls take this one in a close game.

Edited by Trojan Fan

MUS 16 -- South Panola 14

------------------------------------

This year's South Panola team is merely a shell of its dominant 2010 squad...and that's putting it mildly. The manner in which they lost their Nationally televised game to Hoover was quite shocking -- they got thoroughly dominated, completely outclassed and totally out-coached.

Astonishing!

I have been following South Panola ever since they played Germantown, way back around 2004 or 2005. They have mostly been very dominant, ever since....until this year. I have NEVER seen a SP team as inept as their 2011 team squad! It's not much of a stretch to say that they look like just another "middle of the road," average football team. In short, South Panola suddenly looks very, very beatable. Their "ugly" loss to Hoover seemed to just obliterate SP's long-standing aura of invincibility.

I genuinely expect MUS to march confidently into Batesville, Friday night, and methodically expose South Panola's weaknesses and emerge with another hard-fought victory over the youthful Tigers.

IMO, to much was taken from MUS opening week loss to Ensworth. Simply put, the Owls were just sloppy in that game and that in itself is just uncharateristic of them. Likewise, too much is probably being taken away from SP after the loss to Hoover. They lost 25 players off last years squad, but they do have have some talent. Antonio Conner will be the best player on the field, no matter what.

I see this as a close game and think it could honestly go either way. MUS will have to avoid the costly turnovers from game 1 on offense, while forcing SP to beat them via the air. I would keep the ball away from Conner all night. No way I give that kid a chance to make a play.

I think people are pretty quick to count out South Panola after one loss. Their defense is still very good, especially Gross #99 and Strong #1. Gross is one of the quickest linemen off the ball I have seen in some time and Strong is an outstanding athlete that makes plays all over the field. The SP RB/KR #12 as tremendous playmaking ability and is a threat to take the distance anytime he has the ball in his hands. South Panola might not be as dominant a team as they have been in the past, but they are an excellent football team.

MUS has a very talented offensive line and a solid defense. Personally, I think they are a better team with #12 at QB, but the starter does give you bits and pieces of what he is capable of doing when he is focused and ready to play. MUS has several injured players at skill positions that leaves them without a real playmaker at WR and the secondary is missing a couple at DB that could really booster the defense and special teams. I have to pull for the team from Tennessee, but I expect a great game and big time high school football atmosphere in Batesville. GO OWLS!!!

Blowout in progress... 19-0 midway through the 2nd

MUS lost 19-7. The defense made the adjustments after half, but the offense didn't produce much. MUS is 1-2 with losses to Ensowrth and SP. I think MUS is better off now though because of those two losses. MUS is young and I think they learned a lot in those two losses. If MUS stays healthy I think they can win the rest of their games and make it to the championship game.

MUS lost 19-7. The defense made the adjustments after half, but the offense didn't produce much. MUS is 1-2 with losses to Ensowrth and SP. I think MUS is better off now though because of those two losses. MUS is young and I think they learned a lot in those two losses. If MUS stays healthy I think they can win the rest of their games and make it to the championship game.

Yep. Their D is much improved over last year. 1 of SP's TD was a KO return. Enworth also had a kick return and score 2 td's after getting the ball handed to them in the red zone.

If their special teams and offense comes along, they are going to be a tough out in the playoff's. I am a little shocked their O-Line has not faired a little better to date. Thought it would have held better in the 2 losses.