State Predictions

clifford20

RISTOL, Tenn. --

They played on a seesaw, but in the end it was Tennessee High up and Sullivan Central down.

The Vikings shook off a match point and prevailed 14-25, 25-16, 25-23, 27-29, 16-14 over the Cougars in a taut Big Eight Conference thriller Tuesday.

“We just make sure nothing hits [the floor],†said Tennessee High senior Jenny Matheson, who led the Vikings with 15 kills and added seven blocks. “We practice that every day. Nothing. Hits. Ever. We try to play every point like it’s our last.â€

The result Tuesday summed up the past few weeks for both the Vikings and Cougars.

Tennessee High (15-4, 7-2) has won five straight Big Eight matches to move into sole possession of third place. Central (12-7, 5-4) has gone in the opposite direction, dropping four straight league decisions in mostly excruciating fashion to tumble down the standings.

“I was hoping tonight would be the night we would get over the hump when we got game point that fifth game,†said Cougars coach Tracy Graybeal. “I thought maybe tonight’s going to be the night that we’ll get over the hump. It’s just going to have to happen.â€

The Vikings, however, evened Game 5 at 14 and then won the longest point of the night to set up their own chance at taking the match. Tennessee High, which blew a match point in Game 4, didn’t squander its opportunity as McKenzie Dickson slammed down her 14th kill of the match, setting off another wild celebration in Viking Hall as the raucous student section stormed the court.

Johnson paid particular credit to her right-side defense for the win, but added that the crazed crowd has played a large role in her team’s ability to pull out tense home matches.

“I’ve got to give props to our student section,†Johnson said. “We’ve got the best student section in the Big Eight – I really feel that. They were phenomenal tonight and they carry our girls. … I guess it’s our seventh man.â€

The Vikings also got a number of stellar performances on the court from the likes of Emma Fadial (24 assists, three aces), Amber Godsey (five kills, five blocks), Tori Payne (15 digs) and Mackenzie Wood (16 digs, seven kills). Dickson also added 10 blocks for the impressive Tennessee High front line.

“We just support each other really well and that keeps our confidence up,†Matheson said.

While Dickson got the match-clinching kill for the Vikings, Matheson tormented the Cougars at the net all night, combining dinks and powerful swings to devastating effect.

“I just kind of try to mix it up to keep the other team on their toes,†she said. “I listen a lot to what coach Johnson says and she’ll tell me what’s open.â€

Central got 16 kills from Amber Alvis and eight kills from Savannah Benton. Madi Phillippie added 36 assists for the Cougars, while Amber Harr contributed 21 digs and Ashley Reynolds had six blocks.

But those efforts once again left Central just short of success.

“There were times when we were unbelievable, but we couldn’t put the ball away when we needed to put the ball away,†Graybeal said. “Until we learn to execute in tight situations it’s going to be tough to beat good teams.â€

As the season chugs toward the district tournament in mid-October, Tennessee High seems a legitimate threat for a regional breakthrough.

“That’s one of our main goals,†Matheson said. “We know we could be something really great.â€

nhubbard@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Hubbard_BHCSprt | (276) 645-2543

©2011 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General company.

Share This:

Email Facebook Google Twitter Favorites More

Advertisement

View More: Amber Alvis, Amber Godsey, Amber Harr, Ashley Reynolds, Coach, Cougars Coach, Emma Fadial, Jenny Matheson, Johnson, Mackenzie Wood, Madi Phillippie, Sports, Tori Payne, Tracy Graybeal, Twitter, Viking Hall

Not what you're looking for? Try our quick search:

More from this channel:

PREP VOLLEYBALL: Richlands still rolling

PREP VOLLEYBALL ROUNDUP: Robbins leads Battle to win

PREP VOLLEYBALL: Patrick Henry improves to 2-0

PREP VOLLEYBALL: Vikes shock D-B with Game 5 rally

PREP VOLLEYBALL: Perfect Patriots rally past Central

BRIEFS: Northwood, Carroll County, Sullivan Central among prep volleyball winners

LOCAL BRIEFS: Patrick Henry outlasts Marion in volleyball

PREP SOFTBALL: Tennessee, Virginia split FCA all-star doubleheader

GROUP A SOFTBALL: Virginia High advances to Division 2 finals

PREP SOFTBALL: Bearcats' Hannah Smith ready for center stage

Advertisement

Reader Comments

*Facebook Account Required to Comment. If you are not already logged into Facebook, please click the comment button to do so.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally a post relevant to the state tourney field.

Indy certainly gave South fits at the BIVT. Not overwhelming power but pick everything up and play very fast.

It is ashamed for the team that doesn't get out of the district. I think that Ravenwood, Brentwood and Indy are 3 of the top 5 in the state. Ravenwood has beat BHS and IHS, IHS has beat BHS twice in 5 games and BHS lost to Ranvenwood in 4. Indy and Ravenwood went 5 and I think they have another one left coming up.

THe district tourny will be brutal.

It is ashamed for the team that doesn't get out of the district. I think that Ravenwood, Brentwood and Indy are 3 of the top 5 in the state. Ravenwood has beat BHS and IHS, IHS has beat BHS twice in 5 games and BHS lost to Ranvenwood in 4. Indy and Ravenwood went 5 and I think they have another one left coming up.

THe district tourny will be brutal.

Haven't seen everyone, but based on results so far you are probably right.

Certainly these district battles will be a big advantage to the 2 survivors come state tourney time. Everyone else better be ready to play at a different level. And pace.

Any thoughts on the other 2 in your top 5? I think South and Soddy are about equal to each other which puts them with Farragut and Anderson. On any given day any one could beat the other depending on who shows up. Really don't know how they compare to Riverdale, Siegel, and Houston though.

Haven't seen everyone, but based on results so far you are probably right.

Certainly these district battles will be a big advantage to the 2 survivors come state tourney time. Everyone else better be ready to play at a different level. And pace.

Any thoughts on the other 2 in your top 5? I think South and Soddy are about equal to each other which puts them with Farragut and Anderson. On any given day any one could beat the other depending on who shows up. Really don't know how they compare to Riverdale, Siegel, and Houston though.

I posted my top 15 schools that might make it to State and the day after i posted them, a lot has changed. This is a unique year. Houston is very good but now, as happens every year, Collierville comes out on the dance floor playing like a District Champion and beating some of the better teams. As happened last year in West Tennessee, Munford seems to be playing well. Yes its true mom, Scarlet has two other sisters. Anderson has been talked about but where did Hardin come from out of the blue. Yes Anderson did beat them but no one else has come close. Only news there is "They sure have a good team of club players". And no, no "flyin" monikers heard from Hardin yet. Farragut keeps making noise and keeps winning but no one believes in them yet, but its a little early.They have a good District record but out of District???? but what else do you need except District. Riverdale, Blackman and Siegel are having quite a tussle. Riverdale looks to be a winner but Blackman and Siegel will play it out in the District against what looks like Columbia and Tullahoma in Region. My pick is the two 7AAA schools if all of the injuries get well.

Now these District 11 schools could have a square dance in Williamson. Just add another "darkhorse" to the list who has a couple of great players and if they get hot, the square dance has started

and Centennial has the chance to make the foursome.

So AAA is shaping up but not concluded and some great matches are still out there. I do think that ssh is right and DB might just squeek in as the second placed school with South. District 2 will likely be a cross town event with Morristown East and

West playing well right now but some surprises could be there.

Edited by PHargis

Centenial can beat anyone in district 11 too. They are a solid team. You put them anywhere else and they are in the top of most other districts.

AS far as the rest of the state besides district 11

I think Soddy, Riverdale, South, Collierville and Houston. If ooltewah ever figurs it out...look out. THey are so close to being really good. THe state is very even this year it seems.

Siegel is a mystery...I have a feeling they will be there in the end. Until Riverdale wins a game in the tournament, it still goes through Siegel. It would be great to see those two make the state.

It is going to be fun. I think East TN is going to be crazy. A handful of solid teams out there.

Lets get REAL!

8 teams make state, but not all can win state. Houston and Collierville will make it and end 7 and 8. Riverdale will beat siegel, and finish 6th. Sullivan South will beat either Hardin Valley or Farragut and finish 5th. That leaves 4 teams:

Anderson County and Soddy Daisy will finish second in their pool and finish 3rd and 4th, leaving.....

Wait for it.....

The only 2 teams that have a shot at winning it all..... Brentwood and Ravenwood.

Those 2 teams are a level above everyone else. If three could come from this district Indy would be in the mix.

They will meet in the district finals, the regional finals, and the state finals.

Before you quickly hit the reply button think about it. Of the other 6 only Soddy Daisy and Anderson County even have a chance to pull an upset, and it would be a big upset. Soddy has a great hitter, and are experienced, but they play up and down. Anderson County has the athletes but they are young.

It will be either BrentWOOD or RavenWOOD, whoever has the stamina to win it all.

Lets get REAL!

8 teams make state, but not all can win state. Houston and Collierville will make it and end 7 and 8. Riverdale will beat siegel, and finish 6th. Sullivan South will beat either Hardin Valley or Farragut and finish 5th. That leaves 4 teams:

Anderson County and Soddy Daisy will finish second in their pool and finish 3rd and 4th, leaving.....

Wait for it.....

The only 2 teams that have a shot at winning it all..... Brentwood and Ravenwood.

Those 2 teams are a level above everyone else. If three could come from this district Indy would be in the mix.b

They will meet in the district finals, the regional finals, and the state finals.

Before you quickly hit the reply button think about it. Of the other 6 only Soddy Daisy and Anderson County even have a chance to pull an upset, and it would be a big upset. Soddy has a great hitter, and are experienced, but they play up and down. Anderson County has the athletes but they are young.

It will be either BrentWOOD or RavenWOOD, whoever has the stamina to win it all.

:rolleyes: Just looking at the scores lately, BremtWOOD is going to have to hurry because Indy did beat them last in 5. Wondered about that so 11 is typical as it usually is.

I disagree with BrentwoodBabe. As has been talked about the best 8 teams can't all make the state tournament because some will knock others out, and the 2 west TN teams are weaker.

Double elimination helps the stronger team because of the fact that 1 upset won't do the job.

I think these 8 make state:

1)Ravenwood

2)Independance

3)Soddy Daisy

4)Anderson County

5)Sullivan South

6)siegel

7)Houston

8)Collierville

Of those 8, only Soddy Daisy or Anderson could beat either Indy or RWood. I think RWood will win it all.

Announcements