EOS CANON XTI....settings for soccer shots

I'm new to Photography and have a Daughter trhats playing Soccer and i would love to get some good action shots of her that are not blurry. The sports mode for the Canon xti seems to be hit or misss with getting a shot thats not blurry mostly blurry. Ill take 300 shots at a game and 2/3 of the photo's have some blurry or shackin looking photos. IS THERE A SETTING i can manual put into my camera to have a better chance to get better shots. My setup is

EOS DIG REBEL XTI CAMERA

EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS USM CANON LENS

MONOPOD

My email is KBVY@OPTONLINE.NET Please e-mail me if you have any good ideas for me to manually set my camera so i can get some good action shots of my daughter and her teammatesbefore she starts college. Because on my own it may take me that long to figure it out.

Thanks

Kevin

Kevin, I have a 20D canon and also have the same lens. Couple of things;

Your 100-400 has an image stabilizier setting. When you put the camera and lens on a monopod, that setting should be off. Only use the setting if you are hand holding the lens. Might help.

My D also has the "sports" setting and I got 170 out of 182 shots that where not blurry during my grandson's flag football game. You may be zoomed in to much and moving the lens to capture the movement. Zoom out a bit and track the action slowly. Try that.

I'm new to Photography and have a Daughter trhats playing Soccer and i would love to get some good action shots of her that are not blurry. The sports mode for the Canon xti seems to be hit or misss with getting a shot thats not blurry mostly blurry. Ill take 300 shots at a game and 2/3 of the photo's have some blurry or shackin looking photos. IS THERE A SETTING i can manual put into my camera to have a better chance to get better shots. My setup is

EOS DIG REBEL XTI CAMERA

EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 IS USM CANON LENS

MONOPOD

My email is KBVY@OPTONLINE.NET Please e-mail me if you have any good ideas for me to manually set my camera so i can get some good action shots of my daughter and her teammatesbefore she starts college. Because on my own it may take me that long to figure it out.

Thanks

Kevin

• 2 months later...

Kevin, I have a 20D canon and also have the same lens. Couple of things;

Your 100-400 has an image stabilizier setting. When you put the camera and lens on a monopod, that setting should be off. Only use the setting if you are hand holding the lens. Might help. You may be zoomed in to much and moving the lens to capture the movement. Zoom out a bit and track the action slowly. Try that.

I did a few soccer shots earlier in the fall using a Nikon D200. I am not always happy with preset controls like "sports", "landscape" and others and that particular DSLR does not have such settings. My lens was a 100-300 Sigma f/4 with no image stabilization and I shot using a monopod. What did I discover? Focus on a moving target was the biggest problem and not movement in getting good shots. When there is enough sunlight(we sure can't control that), I use ISO400 and something around f/8 and get shutter speeds from 1/1000 to 1/2000 sec or so, fast enough to stop most movement. I open the aperture as needed in lower light. I take the advice of zooming out a bit and tracking action slowly as I can. That makes a difference in the field of view and overall control.

Focus was the primary fault in my soccer trials, even using continuous focus which in itself does a good job but if you are not on target forget it working well. When tracking a player, some folks tend to jerk or stop just as the push the shutter. With practice and enough field of view to work it, you can keep the movement going smooth and on target as the shutter is pushed.

I am no expert and those active kids gave me a run for it. Keep hoping for lots of sunlight!

Best wishes with your photos. TomDart.

• 10 years later...