Bergen Beach Baseball/Steve Bort

newguy

Calls HS Jr's and first tells them he is a NY Yankees Scout--Lie

Then tells you he had something to do with Alex Rodriguez and Josh Hamilton--Lie

Wants you to pay $200 to come to a showcase/tryout at an area college

Plenty of horror stories from all over the country about this guy on hsbaseballweb etc.

my advice is to run the other way

• 3 weeks later...

Calls HS Jr's and first tells them he is a NY Yankees Scout--Lie

Then tells you he had something to do with Alex Rodriguez and Josh Hamilton--Lie

Wants you to pay $200 to come to a showcase/tryout at an area college

Plenty of horror stories from all over the country about this guy on hsbaseballweb etc.

my advice is to run the other way

We did... thanks.

• 3 months later...

Did you even read the first post on this guy? Go to that site and see what others think... really?? He called us repeatedly... no money, no go!

The majority of the players from his team go on to Division 1 programs, some get drafted out of high school and others usually pretty high draft spot after junior year. Before you make a decision why not speak directly with a parent who's kid played for Steve Bort? mine - so feel free to ask me. Rodriguez, Damon and Helton all played on the same Bergen Beach Team, not to mention Josh Hamilton, Brian McCann, Cody Ross, Brian McCann, Matt Cain..from my sons team, Miles Head, Luke bailey, Luke Jackson, Charlie Lowell, Zachary Von Rosenberg..D1 guys that look to go this year Michael Broad U of Miami, Kyle Von Tungeln TCU if it's such a scam why are all these names associated with Bergen Beach?

Edited by BergenBeachDad

Bergen Beach baseball is legitimate. Alex Rodriguez, Josh Hamilton, Johnny Damon and Todd Helton all played for Steve Bort - go to their web site at My link

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=arod2007

Here is another link that mentions Bort coaching A-Rod

Rodriguez, however, adopted the DiMaggio approach, essentially cutting off the Post entirely. It was against his nature to be inaccessible, but New York can do things to a man. Steve Bort, who recruited Rodriguez as a 15-year-old to play on a traveling all-star team that included Todd Helton and Johnny Damon, remembers that Rodriguez even then was sensitive, in need of constant reassurance.

"He was a tall, weak, skinny kid," Bort recalls. "He was a nice kid, respectful, one of the kids who said, 'Yes, sir' and 'No, sir.' He batted ninth for me one year and asked me if I would invite him back the next year because he wasn't happy with how he swung the bat."

Bort and Rodriguez are still close. Rodriguez and his wife Cynthia took Bort to Spark's steakhouse for Bort's 50th birthday last year.

Edited by BergenBeachDad

I wanted to also mention that the statements made about Steve Bort's lies are not accurate. My son played for him 4 seasons - we won the 14U World Series in Dublin Ohio and 17U High School World Series in Euclid, Four of his teammates were drafted so far, two out of high school, Miles Head and Luke Bailey. Also Luke Jackson, Zachary Von Rosenberg and Charlie Lowell. I personally met Josh Hamilton in Arizona at Spring training and yes he did play for Bort and there is a photo of him on their web site. I also met Johnny Damon and talked with him about his days playing for Bergen Beach as a mater of fact he was on the Yankees and invited us, my son and his friends down on the field to talk about Bort and for photos and autographs. So please feel free to email me, our experience was amazing, never paid a dime and won 2 out 4 World Series..we were always the team to beat and drew a crowd of spectators and scouts. In fact in Euclid the entire town comes out to watch. You better believe the scouts know who Bort picks up on his roster. We made friends for life on that team, Steve calls all the time to check on my son and others..Just a terrific guy. I'm sorry that many people think it's a scam, it is not and some people have made blatantly false comments on this board which I am here to refute. Again visit their web site at My link or call Steve Bort directly at 718-616-0572