Big 8 2011-2012

TommyMan37604

I can tell you this, if the jumpers on the State Championship Volleyball Team decide to play during their off season, rebounding, intensity and endurance will not be a problem for Sullivan South. Two sports might not be the thing for this athletic group though.

Most of the South volleyball team gave up on basketball years ago and I think the last holdout left this year. Pretty sure the exodus wasn't limited to VB players either. Not sure jumping, rebounding, intensity, endurance, or even athleticism matter that much in their girls basketball program.

And I wish they were the State Champtionship Volleyball Team but that will have to wait for another year.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone got scrimmages this week? Any results from last weekend? Whats the jamboree schedule?

The jamboree schedule is:

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Format: Each game will consist of 2 six minute quarters with 1 minute between quarters.

Girls will play the 1st two quarters while the Boys warm-up on the stage court of Viking Hall and then the Boys will play the final two quarters between the two schools involved.

Schedule: 5:30-6:15- Tennessee High vs. Dobyns-Bennett (Girls then Boys)

6:15-7:00- Crockett vs. Sullivan Central (Girls then Boys)

7:00-7:30- Three-Point Contest- (1 Girl and 1 Boy from each school)

7:30-8:15- Volunteer vs. Boone (Girls then Boys)

8:15-9:00- South vs. Science Hill (Girls then Boys)

There is also a playday at Crockett this Saturday but I haven't seen the schedule. I heard there are a number of teams coming.

So what did everyone think of the jamboree last night? Who looked impressive? Any surprises?

The big 8 BOYS is way down this year.The WORST S Hill team iv seen DC was the surprises 2 me.But as awhole its very weak/ Dont see a team that will make it out of the region this year. :thumb:Girls Tn High S hill the the rest Boone Vol DC was better than they have been

Edited by jeffs

:rolleyes:

Most of the South volleyball team gave up on basketball years ago and I think the last holdout left this year. Pretty sure the exodus wasn't limited to VB players either. Not sure jumping, rebounding, intensity, endurance, or even athleticism matter that much in their girls basketball program.

And I wish they were the State Champtionship Volleyball Team but that will have to wait for another year.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: I am pretty good about looking into a teams eyes and seeing what is behind them. That was one team, no matter the sport, I saw the intensity of a top team. All of that and the support equals a special group.

4 days till we tip it off for real. How did everyone do over the weekend? Science hill had 3 scrimmages at William Blont, won all 3.

Crockett had a scrimmage day Saturday, Crockett looks much improved this year, not sure how many they won.

Longhorns went into overtime with Cocke County, Cocke County looks to be down this year.

Volunteer won 1 out of 3, still no team ball. Greeneville down this year.

Unaka won 2 of 2, alot of reaching.

Boone won 1 out of 2, played better the second half.

Happy Valley won a couple.

Ready for the season to start!

Many of the conference teams have played a game or two, what do folks think so far? I know Science Hill rolled over William Blount on the road last night and Tennessee High won a barn burner over Morristown West then beat Elizabethton by 20 tonight. Crockett looks like they played tough before falling in their opener and DB went on the road and won last night. Not sure about the rest. Who has seen something impressive ( I prefer looking at the positives)?

Pesonally I think that is Science Hill and then everyone else. I watch THS and MW and then SH and MW. There is no comparasion who the better team is. TH will still get their W's but not against SH. SH played all their kids in a game that was not close on Saturday. TH had to really scrap to get their W. DB got a good win against Central. so they may be in the mix with TH just not sure. IMO

Pesonally I think that is Science Hill and then everyone else. I watch THS and MW and then SH and MW. There is no comparasion who the better team is. TH will still get their W's but not against SH. SH played all their kids in a game that was not close on Saturday. TH had to really scrap to get their W. DB got a good win against Central. so they may be in the mix with TH just not sure. IMO

One factor for the Hill 'winning with a greater margin' than THS against MW is that SH has an 11 player squad and THS has a 15 player squad. Maybe the THS coaching staff is looking for chemistry...or making sure their JV players don't suffer some losses come conference time...(as they did last year)

THS, up to this point, have played Mitchell along with any 4 of the remaining 14 and have come away in victory. Against MW, Betsy and Greenville, Mitchell was able to drive at will...(Playing 11 girls almost back-fired against MW). Taking the top 11 from each team, I would still favor the the Hill...

One would have to give them the edge because it takes less time to build chemistry with fewer numbers. Cut the rotation down to 7/8 players, it will be a closer game between SH/THS. I guess the argument could be made that high-pressure defence requires more players in the rotation...although, as you are aware, Big Blue, Unicoi does a pretty good job with about a 7/8 player rotation on both ends of the floor. THS should be very competitive with the Hill once they gain more chemistry with fewer numbers. It will be a dog fight!

Edited by pancon

According to the Tricities Sports report on the TN High and Morristown West game, TN High only used 11 players during the game. If that is the case then your argument about TN High using more players than Science Hill against Morristown West does not add up. Also, due to the large lead Science Hill had during the 2nd half they did not play their top 6 as much as they would in a closer game. I believe Science Hill is also working on their chemistry with some new players and trying to figure out what rotations work best for them. It should be interesting to see how each team improves throughout the season.