Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Want to know why you're oh so wrong? Coach Davis pulls the starters as soon as the game gets away and subs everybody on the bench. Last year there was a time or two, if we could of put cheerleaders in pads - they would have been in. There were times when the starters had to go back in to save our butts when our jv and freshmen fell over, it happens and everybody plays if the score allows a win without crushing the opposing team.

You sir, and your partners in crime, glory in destroying teams - for no reason than your wanna-be coach's ego trip. Worst of all is that Signal Mountain cheats to do it!

If this is what your program teaches the kids that go to SM, you're going to have more problems than you ever imagined and will reap what you sow.

And SM will deserve it.

Yeehaw, I read another post from somebody that they had to fill out alot of forms to get thier son eligible to play at Polk this year, I think it said that he played at McMinn Central last year, do you know if this is true and or are thier other transfers from around the area at Polk, I remember that McMinn Centrals qb a few years ago transfered from Meigs to play for them, is this common in ya'lls district? Just wondering.

The Signal Mountain public relations committee is hard at it today, disguised as a news article in the Chattanooga Times Free Press http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2011/oct/14/mcclendons-journey-signal-mountain-mountain-high-s/

Here's a comment from the paper's website:

Nice piece of fluff and fiction. The writer obviously has an agenda: helping his Signal Mtn coaching buddies keep their jobs.

How about a reality check: what a sweet coincidence that the well-traveled Shane Roberson magically ends up at Signal for Tim McClendon's senior year. Roberson's recent journey takes him from Orchard Knob, to Sequatchie County, to LFO in Catoosa County, and now to Signal: and somehow a superstar player or two follows him everywhere he goes.

So Roberson just goes to central office, and asks for a hardship transfer for McClendon. Hardship requests are routinely turned down every day. But this one is quickly granted. That's all there is to it? Board member Chip Baker had nothing to do with it? So ANY kid who's been in a fight, or doesn't want to be with "the wrong crowd" at an inner-city school, can get a free ride to the self-proclaimed best school in the county? Really? That's great. Why hasn't Hamilton County publicized this fact? Wouldn't this solve Chattanooga's gang problem?

And as for McClendon's long list of high schools, a dubious achievement for anyone who's lived at the same address for four years, that is very telling. A lot of great kids graduate each year from Hixson, Brainerd, Howard and LFO (where he actually came and went twice). This fabricated public-relations piece is an insult to all of those schools.

Finally was McClendon "recruited" at Signal Mountain? Did he, as this story says, just learn that his coaching pal Shane magically got hired at the best school in the county, and then texted him, asking for help "for academic reasons?" (implying that LFO, an award-winning school has poor academics?...the same LFO that was 0-10 in football last year?)

Is this the first time special arrangements have been made for an athlete who lives far from Signal to play, or of course "further his academics" at Signal? The TSSAA knows the answer to that one.

Signal Mountain administrators say "everyone else is doing it too." Maybe so. Just not as blatantly and sloppy as Signal does.

It's great that McClendon is getting individual care and tutoring at Signal. He certainly can benefit from it. But until Signal publicly and openly invites and accepts all troubled inner city students, not just great athletes who can help them run up the score, their smug claims of innocence are laughable.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... do you feel better? Oh, last time I checked SM has 30+ NCLB/Hardship kids so we do accept non-athletes too.

Keep crying because deep down you know we haven't done anything wrong and that's what is really making you mad.

Only 30? But the need is so great. Hopefully this will open the door for many, many more troubled Hamilton County students who can benefit from the Signal Mountain touch. And it's good to know that you don't have to be a superstar athlete to get a hardship transfer to Signal Mountain. (Although apparently, trying out 5 high schools and having a well-traveled, connected coach for your best buddy doesn't hurt)

From the Nooga.com, segment of the article about last nights game.

Honestly how can anyone defend this?

Even with the score far out of reach, the coach continued to pound away at concealed foes. With his team leading 69-35, the Eagles went for it on fourth down. With every snap, Phillips was told to hurry to the line of scrimmage. This was the time to escape from the outside world. Not a second was to be wasted.

After the game, the coach seemed to still feel as if he was under seige.

“I go for it all the time,†Bill Price said in defense of his late-game tactics. “I go for it 90 percent of the time. That’s just us. That’s just the way we are.â€

Troll one of my Coach T buddies. However, i do disagree with him. I have known Coach Davis and Coach Price for a long time. There is a huge difference bewteen the two men.

Unfriended Troll last night - lost respect for him after texting back and forth over why they did that to CCS.

As for your last sentence, Coach Davis is a man, the other is not.

From the Nooga.com, segment of the article about last nights game.

Honestly how can anyone defend this?

Even with the score far out of reach, the coach continued to pound away at concealed foes. With his team leading 69-35, the Eagles went for it on fourth down. With every snap, Phillips was told to hurry to the line of scrimmage. This was the time to escape from the outside world. Not a second was to be wasted.

After the game, the coach seemed to still feel as if he was under seige.

“I go for it all the time,†Bill Price said in defense of his late-game tactics. “I go for it 90 percent of the time. That’s just us. That’s just the way we are.â€

And this quote:

The final score read Signal Mountain 76, Chattanooga Christian School 35. Price wasn’t quite content, but as he told his players in the postgame huddle, “it makes things better.â€

All the bantering aside, how do you justify this?

Edited by Chattcity

TFP front page article was entertaining. 6'3" , 230lb stud athlete needs a hardship because he might fall in with the wrong crowd or get picked on... I really feel for those 5'6", 120lb kids that have to stay at these dangerous school environments.

They started texting the Asst Football coach because they wanted to take advantage of SM's educational environment...that one made me laugh! I'll give Price one thing that he seems to understand, that the other parties involved could learn from... "No Comment" is your friend.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

I think this is why people have a problem with Price. He may need to change the way "they are"

I think this is why people have a problem with Price. He may need to change the way "they are"

Perhaps the men in charge at Signal Mountain should learn to filter their words through their brains before the speak to the press instead of their egos. Now in addition to everyone thinking they cheat, they think they do it with no class.