Signal Mountain to appeal

Rabble Rouser

Wow, Lakeview Ft. Oglethorpe High School must be a real hellhole for him to want to leave so badly. Why hasn't the state shut it down? And this is where that Lauren Alaina from American Idol goes to school? How did she learn anything, not to mention survive that environment. Funny how the ineligible player didn't tell the TFP reporter what he told his friends on Facebook: "I'm going to Signal Mountain to play football." Of course that was in June, a few days after he played for LFO in their spring game. Things change, I guess.

Was he living in Brainerd when he played at LFO?

I can only go by what he says and it's pathetic the way you and others continue to attack him.

“But that first day I heard I felt life was done. I really felt like I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but then I thought about coming here to get the academics. Being on the football field was great, but football was a secondary issue. I want my diploma,†McClendon said. “I didn’t want to be lost out of high school [so I went to Signal because] I wanted to go somewhere I could get the best education I could get. They help me here in math and reading. I have low reading skills. I don’t pick things up the first time. If I’m reading, I have to read it over and over. My English teacher [at Signal Mountain] has worked so hard. In the classroom she makes me read out loud, but the students don’t make fun of me.â€

Go ahead and attack him more. At least the kids at SM are more respectful and adult like than many of the posters on here.

First, how am I attacking him? I asked a logical question. I am not attacking him. It is a very valid question. If he believes what he said then this decision of him being ruled ineligible is a minor bump in the road, if he has academic success at Signal Mountain.

What is pathetic is posters like you blaming everyone else for a mistake made by Signal Mountain. What lesson are you teaching your students when you blame everyone else for a mistake you made. You need to learn to take respondsibility. Apparently that is something that is lacking right now in the thin mountain air.

I can only go by what he says and it's pathetic the way you and others continue to attack him.

“But that first day I heard I felt life was done. I really felt like I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but then I thought about coming here to get the academics. Being on the football field was great, but football was a secondary issue. I want my diploma,†McClendon said. “I didn’t want to be lost out of high school [so I went to Signal because] I wanted to go somewhere I could get the best education I could get. They help me here in math and reading. I have low reading skills. I don’t pick things up the first time. If I’m reading, I have to read it over and over. My English teacher [at Signal Mountain] has worked so hard. In the classroom she makes me read out loud, but the students don’t make fun of me.â€

Go ahead and attack him more. At least the kids at SM are more respectful and adult like than many of the posters on here.

Yeah... None of the other high schools he attended offer Special Education Resource/Inclusion classes. He has to go all the way out to Signal Mountain to get those services???? :rolleyes:

I haven't seen anyone attack him.. We are attacking his administration, coaches and the arrogant SMMHS fans.. :thumb:

Edited by PurpleGrad

According to the article in the TFP this morning, YES. He never moved while attending any of the 5 high schools...

The paper said that he stayed with a "guardian" some while attending LFO. But, as you know Possum, the TSSAA doesn't recognize guardianship unless it's court appointed and kids that I know of that have tried to get court appointed guardianship for the purpose of switching schools were told that it would take 12 months to complete the process.

Edited by PurpleGrad

His family's residence was in Brainerd when he attended/played at Hixson, Howard, Brainerd, LFO and Signal Mountain. At least his residence has been consistent. The TSSAA has also reportedly looked into reports of coaches who haul kids up the mountain, and various Signal players who have mysteriously taken up residence in apartments on the mountain, that just happen to be owned by....well, why go there. They're in enough trouble already.

What is pathetic is posters like you blaming everyone else for a mistake made by Signal Mountain. What lesson are you teaching your students when you blame everyone else for a mistake you made. You need to learn to take respondsibility. Apparently that is something that is lacking right now in the thin mountain air.

What mistake? We have said clearly that we feel like what we submitted was correct. After the ruling our administration went back over everything and determined that they feel like they did everything correct. There reasoning was also echoed by the coach at Soddy who had the nads to say it. There are many others schools that have the same interpretation as we do.

What we would be teaching the kids if we rolled over and took a penalty that we don't feel like we deserve? Since you're on here posting on something that doesn't have any impact on your life I can only assume you wouldn't let someone walk over you without a fight, would you?

After 50 something pages I want to make sure that we understand what smeagle believes...

Hypothetical for you smeagle.. If McClendon had a younger brother, say a sophomore,, that lived under the same roof, and didn't have a hardship waiver from HCDE, younger brohter liked Brainerd HS. By SM's logic he (little brother) would be eligible to play for Signal Mountain because his older brothers hardship made that address part of SM's zone/territory.. So little brother could go to Brainerd and play football for Signal???

Edited by Charlie Murphy

The only question remaining in all of this mess is... will there be any coaching/administration changes as a result of this. Or, are the parents/supporters there so blind that they can't see what is going on? Or, is the "win at all cost" attitude an accurate reflection of the citizens of Signal Mountain? The gap between the "haves" and "have nots" out there is huge. I don't know many of the "haves" from out there, but the ones that I do know seem snobby and above everyone else. I know plenty of the "have nots" from out there and they all seem to be good people. I think it's time for the "have nots" to take over and start running the place and bring honesty and respect back to the mountain.

I wasn't comfortable until we got a running clock, don't know about the coach. I watched CCS put up 21 points on us in a very short time. I watched them take a kickoff return to the house, I watched them recover an onside kick... CCS didn't quit and didn't back down for that they are to be commended.

I didn't hear coach say get off as many plays as possible. Did you hear him say that?

Were you comfortable up 35 late? I doubt even SM could score 5 touchdowns to tie in 150 seconds. The hurrying up the plays mention was either or the Chattanoogan or the new site, (Nooga?).