AAA State

clifford20

TSSAA has posted bracket. First round matches are

Farragut vs Ravenwood

Houston vs Sullivan South

Siegel vs Collierville

Soddy Daisy vs Independence

So, do Ravenwood and Independence coast to the finals? I'm guessing not.

I certainly would agree with you, however, they have so far and Ravenwood is still the favorite maybe only because they are last years champion. Clearly,IMO, Farragut, Ravenwood, Soddy and Independence got the luck of the Draw this year with the seeding. This is double elimination. One or both finalists could come out of the losers bracket somewhere along the line.

I certainly would agree with you, however, they have so far and Ravenwood is still the favorite maybe only because they are last years champion. Clearly,IMO, Farragut, Ravenwood, Soddy and Independence got the luck of the Draw this year with the seeding. This is double elimination. One or both finalists could come out of the losers bracket somewhere along the line.

Not sure how Farragut and ravenwood could have both gotten the luck of the draw since they have to play each other in the first round. Seems to me most teams would prefer to be in the other side of the bracket away from Ravenwood who has to be considered the favorite. Also, one finalist will come from the winner's bracket and one will come from the loser's bracket. The interesting thing is apparently the team out of the loser's bracket does not have to beat the winners bracket team twice which is a departure from true double elimination. Someone correct me if I'm misinterpreting the bracket.

Edited by tnreb

It's not clear in my mind, what is your reasoning?

Edited by mwtfan

Not sure how Farragut and ravenwood could have both gotten the luck of the draw since they have to play each other in the first round. Seems to me most teams would prefer to be in the other side of the bracket away from Ravenwood who has to be considered the favorite. Also, one finalist will come from the winner's bracket and one will come from the loser's bracket. The interesting thing is apparently the team out of the loser's bracket does not have to beat the winners bracket team twice which is a departure from true double elimination. Someone correct me if I'm misinterpreting the bracket.

You are correct on every point. It has been that way the last couple of years. Every team can lose a match and still win state, except the team coming out of the winner's bracket. I've witnessed more than once team A`beating team B in the first meeting, then team B beats team A in the finals. Both have 1 loss to each other, but team B is state champs due to winning on Friday. I personally would prefer going back to pool play or a true double elimination format.

MURFREESBORO — It wasn’t a typical regular season for Siegel’s volleyball team.

However, the postseason has gotten back to normal for the Lady Stars.

Siegel defeated Ooltewah 3-1, winning 25-21, 23-25, 25-20, 25-18 Thursday night in a Class AAA sectional to reach its third consecutive state tournament.

“You don’t realize until you are a senior how much it means to go to state,†said Addison Rogers, one of four seniors on this year’s team. “We’ve been working so hard this season. We really struggled early this year. But to come out the way we played (in the postseason) is just an amazing feeling.â€

The TSSAA state tournament tips off Wednesday at three locations — Blackman High, MTSU and Siegel High. The tournament is a double-elimination format. All of Wednesday’s Class AAA matches will be held at MTSU’s Murphy Center.

Siegel (34-16) improved to 5-0 in postseason play, winning both the District 7-AAA tournament and Region 4-AAA tournament.

THAT GAME FIVE YEARS AGO WAS AGAINST RED BANK NOT OOLTEWAH

Siegel’s 16 losses are the most in the three-year run. But few care now about the regular season.

Read more on the Lady Stars' sectional win in Friday's edition of The Daily News Journal

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siegel played Ooltewah this evening befor a fine crowd. This matchup was very similiar to a matchup that was held in the same arena with the only difference being the players and one of the Coaches. The Coach from Ooltewah was the same and the Coach at Siegel is Ann Mullins. The earlier matchup 5 years ago is still being talked about as to the play and intensity and some of the same officals officiating then still make their way to the Nations arena and sit down with some of the sisters who play now of those who played then. There is three-Two generation player on theis squad and three 3rd generation players playing on this current squad this year. Just to make it to the State three years in a row is a record for the current group.

This matchup went 4 games and lasted over 90 minutes and points lasted forever with great play on both sides. This was more than a regular match between two great schools, this is the match that could have happened at the end of the first day which happened two years ago when these two played till 1:00 in the morning of that State Tournament. Both schools played as if there was no tomorrow last night in the typical, Ooltewah/Siegel fashion and both knew what was in store for them when they walked in the gym. Siegel out willed Ooltewah. And for 90 minutes it was outstanding volleyball. And now Siegel is in the State the third year in a row and the Sister of up to 3 generations af three generations of players can say I did it too.

Stats of this match will come from another direction but all that matters now, they earned a Chance and now they have a chance to see what they can do in the State.

Edited by LAMBA3

MURFREESBORO — It wasn’t a typical regular season for Siegel’s volleyball team.

However, the postseason has gotten back to normal for the Lady Stars.

Siegel defeated Ooltewah 3-1, winning 25-21, 23-25, 25-20, 25-18 Thursday night in a Class AAA sectional to reach its third consecutive state tournament.

“You don’t realize until you are a senior how much it means to go to state,†said Addison Rogers, one of four seniors on this year’s team. “We’ve been working so hard this season. We really struggled early this year. But to come out the way we played (in the postseason) is just an amazing feeling.â€

The TSSAA state tournament tips off Wednesday at three locations — Blackman High, MTSU and Siegel High. The tournament is a double-elimination format. All of Wednesday’s Class AAA matches will be held at MTSU’s Murphy Center.

Siegel (34-16) improved to 5-0 in postseason play, winning both the District 7-AAA tournament and Region 4-AAA tournament.

Siegel’s 16 losses are the most in the three-year run. But few care now about the regular season.

Read more on the Lady Stars' sectional win in Friday's edition of The Daily News Journal

THAT GAME FIVE YEARS AGO WAS AGAINST RED BANK NOT OOLTEWAH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Siegel played Ooltewah this evening befor a fine crowd. This matchup was very similiar to a matchup that was held in the same arena with the only difference being the players and one of the Coaches. The Coach from Ooltewah was the same and the Coach at Siegel is Ann Mullins. The earlier matchup 5 years ago is still being talked about as to the play and intensity and some of the same officals officiating then still make their way to the Nations arena and sit down with some of the sisters who play now of those who played then. There is three-Two generation player on theis squad and three 3rd generation players playing on this current squad this year. Just to make it to the State three years in a row is a record for the current group.

This matchup went 4 games and lasted over 90 minutes and points lasted forever with great play on both sides. This was more than a regular match between two great schools, this is the match that could have happened at the end of the first day which happened two years ago when these two played till 1:00 in the morning of that State Tournament. Both schools played as if there was no tomorrow last night in the typical, Ooltewah/Siegel fashion and both knew what was in store for them when they walked in the gym. Siegel out willed Ooltewah. And for 90 minutes it was outstanding volleyball. And now Siegel is in the State the third year in a row and the Sister of up to 3 generations af three generations of players can say I did it too.

Stats of this match will come from another direction but all that matters now, they earned a Chance and now they have a chance to see what they can do in the State.

It's not clear in my mind, what is your reasoning?

Two terrific matchups in Ravenwood/Farragut and Soddy/Independence whover loses goes to losers and really doesnt have to play winners until the semis or finals. Losers in the other two brackets lose and then have to lose early. Example, last year Soddy out in two. Best way to play it, keep on winning. But if you lose

somewhere up the line, its a quick out. The rules are the rules and all knew it before the draw but the alternative is worse. What should you do? Sit back and relax and enjoy the matches and realize you are one of the 8 best in your Division and there are no losers here. The pressure was before you got here just to get here. This is the best years of your life. To work hard for a goal and to make it are good lessons learned. However, it would feel good also if you could ...........

Don't understand this logic. All 4 first-round losers face each other in elimination games Wed pm. If Indy and Ravenwood are the favorites, their first-round opponents, Farragut and Soddy, may be looking at going home after two. And, the longer you stay in the winners bracket the fewer games you have to play.

As a South fan, I'm glad we didn't draw Ravenwood in first round. Of course, Houston might kick our butts, too, depending on who shows up that day.

• Upvote 1

Two terrific matchups in Ravenwood/Farragut and Soddy/Independence whover loses goes to losers and really doesnt have to play winners until the semis or finals. Losers in the other two brackets lose and then have to lose early. Example, last year Soddy out in two. Best way to play it, keep on winning. But if you lose

somewhere up the line, its a quick out. The rules are the rules and all knew it before the draw but the alternative is worse. What should you do? Sit back and relax and enjoy the matches and realize you are one of the 8 best in your Division and there are no losers here. The pressure was before you got here just to get here. This is the best years of your life. To work hard for a goal and to make it are good lessons learned. However, it would feel good also if you could ...........

Soddy Daisy lost to Indepence in the first round last year, beat Collierville, then lost to DB.

However, Coach johnson made a point and she is right, In a State Tournament anything can happen. Cj I;m sorry, I overlooked the fact that you did not lose in two but it was three. Either way everyone was surprised you lost and it could happen to anyone. Really has noting to do with the quality of play but more about the momentum of the moment.

Announcements