Harpeth at Cheatham County

howdoitknow

You don't get to 7-2 without having a good solid TEAM. McWright, Tice, Dillon, Baker, Fenner, Canady, Odum, etc. are all a tremendous part of Harpeth's success. There is a reason why this year's Indians team is the first since 2001 (7-5 second round playoff team) to reach 7 wins. An 8th victory would equal the regular season number posted by the 2000 team (seniors on that team included Matthew Tant, Bill Ewing, Adam Conatser, Jason Adams) during the regular season. That team eventually went on to a 9-3 season.

howdoitknow2....I can't remember the year,but it was the first game of the renewal of the Harpeth/Cheatham Co series. ...I think 2000, the game was played at HHS and Cheatham Co. came over the night before the game and spray painted the whole field at Harpeth...so bad nothing could be done and we played on it. Harpeth, a big favorite that season had to stop Cheatham Co. with a goaline stand to win. Great crowd and a field that was very unique :roflol:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the 1999 game Hoganknows. It was a 14-6 contest and the Cubs were denied at the goal line when then senior tailback Bryan Hardwick was stopped inches shy of the endzone. The crazy part about that game is that Harpeth's defensive coach at the time was Doug Loope and the Indians were led by senior linebacker Adam Huffines. The Cubs offensive coach was Cody Finley and they were led by senior tackle Michael Jackson. Loope is now a HC at Harpeth and Huffines is the DC. Finley is now HC at Cheatham County and Jackson is the OC. I find that to show how much former players respected playing for their schools and in particular the two coaches that have taken over since that time.

The 2000 game was a great one as well as Harpeth won a 17-14 game at Cheatham County. Zach DeFrancesca (hope that is spelled correctly) converted a game winning field goal in the closing moments of that game.

Cheatham County leads the all-time series 12-6 but in those 18 games I'm sure that 10 of them had to be nailbiters til the very end. This one should be no different on Friday night.

That was the 1999 game Hoganknows. It was a 14-6 contest and the Cubs were denied at the goal line when then senior tailback Bryan Hardwick was stopped inches shy of the endzone. The crazy part about that game is that Harpeth's defensive coach at the time was Doug Loope and the Indians were led by senior linebacker Adam Huffines. The Cubs offensive coach was Cody Finley and they were led by senior tackle Michael Jackson. Loope is now a HC at Harpeth and Huffines is the DC. Finley is now HC at Cheatham County and Jackson is the OC. I find that to show how much former players respected playing for their schools and in particular the two coaches that have taken over since that time.

The 2000 game was a great one as well as Harpeth won a 17-14 game at Cheatham County. Zach DeFrancesca (hope that is spelled correctly) converted a game winning field goal in the closing moments of that game.

Cheatham County leads the all-time series 12-6 but in those 18 games I'm sure that 10 of them had to be nailbiters til the very end. This one should be no different on Friday night.

Thats good stuff guys! Thanks for all that history. Two great schools with lots of good games in the past, this one should be fun to watch as well. Good luck to both teams

The Cubs beat up on Harpeth from 2003-2006. The 2003 game at Harpeth is a memorable because in the course of that game "then Cubs tailback" Sam Reeves started shouting the plays that were being called in the direction of the Harpeth defense and he was still a runaway freight train. He went on to later rush for 328 yards in the Cubs win over Sycamore that same season.

The 2005 game was delayed by a nearly 3 hour lightning delay and didn't finish until around midnight the following Saturday morning.

The rivalry took a 2 year break in 2007 & 2008 (10 years after taking a 2 year break in 1997 & 1998).

In 2009 Harpeth won big and in 2010 it was the Cubs winning big.

I still say that the game we were all "cheated" from seeing was the 1997 Harpeth Indians who went 10-0 and advanced to the second round of the 2A state playoffs before being eliminated by Huntingdon vs the 1997 Cheatham County Cubs who went 7-3 in 4A and lost in the opening round of the playoffs that year to Tullahoma.

Harpeth has an average team with not enough defense to handle Cheatham Co. Harpeth has a a big tight end who slips out and makes some good plays. Cover him and stack the box Harpeth scores very little and Cheatham has the ability to do that. Cheatham has a better defense than Camden does. Camden beat Cheatham with offense and descent defense. Harpeth had OK defense and OK offense. Stop the tight end and you stop Harpeth.

how does Cheatham have a better d than camden when camden beat them 42 to 28? that makes no since to me.

Cheatham County & Harpeth are fairly similar on the offensive and defensive sides of the football. Both teams also have excellent kicking games with Espinosa (Cheatham) and Canady (Harpeth) being 2 of the more valuable special teams players in the district. I'd also include Tanner Hudson from Camden and Dustin Dew from Stewart County in that conversation.

Harpeth has allowed 125 points on the season (13.9 points per game)

Cheatham has allowed 194 points on the season (21.6 points per game)

Harpeth has scored 289 points this season (32.1 points per game)

Cheatham has scored 290 points this season (32.2 points per game)

Harpeth's opponents have an overall record of 36-45

Cheatham's opponents have an overall record of 42-39

Harpeth: 4 opponents that have .500 records or better (could change to 6)

Cheatham: 6 opponents that have .500 records or better (could change to 7)

Good Luck to Loope and Finley both....they are good friends of mine. Huffines was an outstanding LB'er and his injury before the 1999 Quarterfinal playoff game vs Huntingdon really hurt the Indians chances...he was like a coach on the field and he is still at it at Harpeth:)

DeFrancesca was a great kicker and his dad, Bob always ran the chains at all home games. His mom , Anita is the drama teacher at Harpeth today.

Good luck Guys from Hoganknows :thumb:

how does Cheatham have a better d than camden when camden beat them 42 to 28? that makes no since to me.

Camden has a better offense thats a lot more explosive. Cheatham have a bigger defensive line. Camden was able to get outside with their speed. Camden couldn't run up the middle. Cheatham Co got most of their yards up the middle. What I was talking about was the the line size advantage Cheatham had on both sides of the ball.

I believe this game could go either way. If you look at howdoitknow2s post, both teams are simerly matched with points allowed going to Harpets and points scored going to cheatham. They are both worthy opponants and should be proud of their accomplishments so far this year. Have a good clean safe game.

Edited by wmatlock1

No offense to anyone, but I would pick Harpeth as well without CC's QB being able to play. Heard he got pulled out of game with Creekwood with an injury.

None taken. Potts suffered an injury last week and will not be available this week. He is a major loss to the Cubs considering he has rushed for 1,007 yards and thrown for 314 yards and accounted for 15 touchdowns offensively while registering 70 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 2 interceptions defensively. To say that Potts is a "good" football player would almost be an insult to the young man's ability to change a game with his ability to make big plays.

Harpeth has a young man with similar game changing ability in Bryce Baker. He has rushed for 1,100+ yards and scored 14 touchdowns on the season. Unlike Potts he will be on the field tomorrow night. That gives the Tribe an advantage in the "big play" department without question.

None taken. Potts suffered an injury last week and will not be available this week. He is a major loss to the Cubs considering he has rushed for 1,007 yards and thrown for 314 yards and accounted for 15 touchdowns offensively while registering 70 tackles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 2 interceptions defensively. To say that Potts is a "good" football player would almost be an insult to the young man's ability to change a game with his ability to make big plays.

Harpeth has a young man with similar game changing ability in Bryce Baker. He has rushed for 1,100+ yards and scored 14 touchdowns on the season. Unlike Potts he will be on the field tomorrow night. That gives the Tribe an advantage in the "big play" department without question.

Wow sorry to hear about Potts. Knew he went out last week hurt. But with no updates just thought he must be okay. He is a big time play maker. Would have liked to see both teams with all their guns. Will he be back for the playoffs? (Hope so) Hope its a good game with no injury's to either team.