Seeding the Playoff Teams

thebear

From my understanding, which may be limited, the TSSAA will seed the teams in each quadrant different than in previous years. Automatic qualifying teams (teams finishing 1st or 2nd in district play) will have a higher seed than non-automatic qualifiers. For example: 6A Quad 2, Coffee Co (3-7) will have a higher seed than Oakland (who is currently 6-3), because they finished 2nd in their district. Several cases like this will exist where a team with a 7-3, 6-4, and possibly 8-2 will be punished with a lower seed than a 5-5 team because they play in a tough district. Is this true? Please, explain if you know.

Yes, this is true. It will happen with Coffee Co. for sure and possibly others. The reason for the change is to prevent district champs and runner ups from playing in the first round.

Another example is like in Q3. Antioch will only be a 5 or 6 win team with bout 5 teams, in Q3, with better records, but because they are D12 champs, they are the #1 seed. But, Gallatin, a 8 or 9 win team will not get the #1 seed. HUH!?! <_<

Another example is like in Q3. Antioch will only be a 5 or 6 win team with bout 5 teams, in Q3, with better records, but because they are D12 champs, they are the #1 seed. But, Gallatin, a 8 or 9 win team will not get the #1 seed. HUH!?! <_<

The one's should get seated first. if Alabam goes undefeated and loses to GA in the SEC championship then GA with a lesser record goes to the BCS bowl for the SEC. Winning your district should count. Problem I have BIG time is the way the districts are not even. It can't be all about overall record as teams like Dickson County in 6A beat NO one and get a home playoff game by beating up on 5A schools from Clarksville.

The one's should get seated first. if Alabam goes undefeated and loses to GA in the SEC championship then GA with a lesser record goes to the BCS bowl for the SEC. Winning your district should count. Problem I have BIG time is the way the districts are not even. It can't be all about overall record as teams like Dickson County in 6A beat NO one and get a home playoff game by beating up on 5A schools from Clarksville.

My complaint is not about winning your district. That should absolutely count and I understand that district champs should get rewarded for such. My problem is with seeding teams that finished 2nd over teams that may have not finished second. A 7-3 team who finishes 3rd or fourth should probably be seeded over a 5-5 or 6-4 team who finished 2nd, regardless of competition, since that cannot be changed. Teams cannot help their geographic location nor can they always control who they play, but the TSSAA can use a little common sense when seeding teams.

Edited by thebear

My complaint is not about winning your district. That should absolutely count and I understand that district champs should get rewarded for such. My problem is with seeding teams that finished 2nd over teams that may have not finished second. A 7-3 team who finishes 3rd or fourth should probably be seeded over a 5-5 or 6-4 team who finished 2nd, regardless of competition, since that cannot be changed. Teams cannot help their geographic location nor can they always control who they play, but the TSSAA can use a little common sense when seeding teams.

Would you still have a complaint if it so worked out that your team played Coffee County in the first round? I highly doubt it.

I agree with this. The one's get seated first and then everyone else is seated. I just wish it wasn't overall record as first criteria unless all 6A played in 6A districts and 5A in 5A and so on. I think the T$$AA said if they only seat the ones then there was a chance that district winners and district runner ups could meet in the first round. Someone explain why we can't have 4 classes? If three is not enough then go to four or back to five like it was. 6 is ridiculous!

I agree with this. The one's get seated first and then everyone else is seated. I just wish it wasn't overall record as first criteria unless all 6A played in 6A districts and 5A in 5A and so on. I think the T$AA said if they only seat the ones then there was a chance that district winners and district runner ups could meet in the first round. Someone explain why we can't have 4 classes? If three is not enough then go to four or back to five like it was. 6 is ridiculous!

What is so wrong with district champs playing runner ups? If you are the best then it shouldn't matter who you play in my opinion. You want to be the man you got to beat the man. I understand that coaches want to get as far into the playoffs as possible. But it is what it is. You are only as good as you are. Play whoever is in front of you and be done with it. The six classes are ridiculous. But the T$$AA is making a killing. No turning back now.