Jefferson County NEXT YEAR ect ect ect

dvp4life

First of all ,JC posters only please.Unless You have a "long and Storied" history in winning State! Meaning Maryville and Alcoa are welcome to help.Ok JC fans ,,,Remind me again why we cant be any better than average(on a good year).?REMEMBER we are the second largest HS in the State.I know it's due to Theft of School Funds .But, we are a Huge school.We Have 4 middle schools that feed our program.We have 6 local towns/cities that have pew wee/supergc/Grasscutteer programs In English Mountain FB .Many of these young programs Win year after year.SO WHATS THE problem at the HS?????I have my thoughts .LETS here from the JC Fans.

First of all ,JC posters only please.Unless You have a "long and Storied" history in winning State! Meaning Maryville and Alcoa are welcome to help.Ok JC fans ,,,Remind me again why we cant be any better than average(on a good year).?REMEMBER we are the second largest HS in the State.I know it's due to Theft of School Funds .But, we are a Huge school.We Have 4 middle schools that feed our program.We have 6 local towns/cities that have pew wee/supergc/Grasscutteer programs In English Mountain FB .Many of these young programs Win year after year.SO WHATS THE problem at the HS?????I have my thoughts .LETS here from the JC Fans.

What about Oak Ridge fans? :) lol Well, it could be a number of things...Maybe some of the kids coming up stop playing football as they get to the HS level? It is hard to keep kids this day and age on a team..It takes a lot of time, plus their are just so many things to occupy a kids mind this day and age. Also, maybe some of those kids transfer over the years to the Morristown schools? Maybe it is the coaching? Could be a number of things. Their really is no reason JC shouldn't be really good though with the size of that school..I'd bet a lot of the talent may not even be going out for the team? They may be walking the halls.

Edited by SweetScience

Didn't you just get a new coach? Do you expect miracles in one year. Rome wasn't built in a day. From what I understand you have a very talented young coach, does he get time to get things established with his plan. I swear high schools are getting as bad as the Colleges expecting miracles. Good luck to Jeff Co., the kids, and the coaches.

What about Oak Ridge fans? :) lol Well, it could be a number of things...Maybe some of the kids coming up stop playing football as they get to the HS level? It is hard to keep kids this day and age on a team..It takes a lot of time, plus their are just so many things to occupy a kids mind this day and age. Also, maybe some of those kids transfer over the years to the Morristown schools? Maybe it is the coaching? Could be a number of things. Their really is no reason JC shouldn't be really good though with the size of that school..I'd bet a lot of the talent may not even be going out for the team? They may be walking the halls.

With respect ,I swear I have read this exact comment last year or maybe the year before.And while I don't disagree,I'm reminded of the schools(few as they are)that these problems are NOT a problem.Just in our middle schools (4) there are 8th grade varsity/a B team and the 6th graders.Yes some kids transfer but no more than 1 or 3.What we have is a huge problem in our county.In addition to just being another poorly performing team/HS.Our kids have the ADDED bonus of being CONSTANTLY/daily/non-stop reminded about how great the 87 team was and how they don't measure up.This is the most common problem.Another variation/problem is the "my kid is as good as anyone on that team".Parents/county residents also believe that they know ALL about FB b/c they sat in the stands in 87.They coach their kids all the way home/speak about the coaches in horrible ways both behind there backs and screaming at them after the game.Another is so-called fans who sit real close to the home bench and hurl insults at the team/players.YES it's true!!! That's the real/first purpose of the cowbells.It's to create a noise barrier to protect the kids from the BS. SOMEBODY that actually played on that team(87) Please get on here or place a letter in the Paper.Please tell this county HOW HARD you trained(all year),Tell us about the lineman that could bench 500 lbs,Tell us about all the other "things/Products/Supplements" that were used to get 17 year olds that strong.We would also like to here about the health (mental/physical) of the former State Champions.Look ,people I'm Not hating on JC.I'm just Sick of the garbage /history that surrounds this team.

Didn't you just get a new coach? Do you expect miracles in one year. Rome wasn't built in a day. From what I understand you have a very talented young coach, does he get time to get things established with his plan. I swear high schools are getting as bad as the Colleges expecting miracles. Good luck to Jeff Co., the kids, and the coaches.

No miracles are expected.No one has said the new HC is untalented.But let me Fill you in on how things are done here in ole JC,Yes he will work hard.He will be hamstringed at every turn.He will Not be allowed to spend any money.He will Not be allowed to hire his own staff.He will not get the Strength coach .He will be never NOT reminded about how great we were in 87.After 3 to 4 subpar seasons he will be strongly encouraged to resign.After that, there will be an exhaustive search and interview process .And after CAREFUL consideration and after they can't come to terms with the 1st or 2nd choices .The principal will hire a low cost friend.And process will repeat.

I am only commenting on this thread because we(Tullahoma) played JC in the semis in '87. And, yes, JC was one of the best HS teams I had seen. Todd Collins was probably the best LB I had seen up to that point. (At least until he met our running back, Maurice Shaw.) I can understand to a degree, this so called "curse." Before '87, the talk was always about our '79 team that played Oak Ridge either in the quarters or semis. Not sure which. After the '87 season our head coach left for Oak Ridge and took some assistants with him. After that, we had 3 or 4 losing seasons. Then another coaching change that brought John Olive to Tullahoma. Since then we have had 16 0f 19 winning seasons and several playoff appearances. But last year's team was the first to make to the quarterfinals since '87. Both JC & Tullahoma were special teams that year with several players that played D1 and even the NFL. Those kinds of teams don't come along very often. Size of the school doesn't matter that much. We played McGavock this year, the largest in the state, and they were 2nd worst team I have seen behind Warren County. Talent plays a large part, coaching plays a large part, and a little luck doesn't hurt. If you guys have the talent and coaching, just be patient it will get better. :thumb:

DB fan here. DB has not won one in a long time, but has so may titles in football that it is still an on going expectation. DB had the teams in 98,200, and 2002 that made the semis but had unreal luck like in 2002 DB turned the ball over 7 times. In 2000, they played gerald riggs in a monsoon and we had a bunch of skill receivers. Red Bank was home field and of course they had option to call game until Saturday, but a monsoon played to their advantage and Gerald did his thing, and DB could not pass. 1998 was about the same. Frustrating to say the least. I really think that once a school is in 6A it does not matter how big they are. For example for the 2009-2013 seasons 6A started at about 1,460 students with Henry County. Note I know that since 2009 Henry County has dropped to 5A, But the largest at the time (2009) of these numbers was McGavock High School with 2817 students. I promise you 9 out of 10 games played against those two would favor Henry County. Here is my source by the way http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/Oct/21/2009-2013-tssaa-classifications-announced/

I realize Henry County is now one of the largest 5A schools, but looking at those numbers means that some schools will play schools nearly double their size in 6A. Given the most up to date numbers.... (http://www.tssaa.org/newenrollments.cfm) Maryville at (1524 students) is not even 60% the size of some schools, yet they win 6A often.

Point is, it is all about feeder schools, coaching, community, and probably last is talent. I can name many schools that have more talented football players then Maryville, but those schools do not have the coaching, the feeder sysytem, or the community support of a school like Maryville.

Jefferson County has had teams in the past that are top notch. Jefferson County, will find it again one day. It all goes in cycles. I remember a time when Maryville was not good at all. Things change. Jeff Co. has too much tradition, be patient, and by the way......big numbers can't hurt.

No miracles are expected.No one has said the new HC is untalented.But let me Fill you in on how things are done here in ole JC,Yes he will work hard.He will be hamstringed at every turn.He will Not be allowed to spend any money.He will Not be allowed to hire his own staff.He will not get the Strength coach .He will be never NOT reminded about how great we were in 87.After 3 to 4 subpar seasons he will be strongly encouraged to resign.After that, there will be an exhaustive search and interview process .And after CAREFUL consideration and after they can't come to terms with the 1st or 2nd choices .The principal will hire a low cost friend.And process will repeat.

I think you summed it up. HOw do you expect different results when you do the same things (insanity).... handcuffed with the same old assistant coaches. Its amazing how we get a diff head coach but make the same mistakes year over year. I agree, we will never come out of the pocket to fix the problem!!!!!!I dont understand. If you fill the seats, the money is generated to pay the coaches. Not rocket science. 5000 extra fansx$6.00 = $30,000/game x 5 home games = 150,000/season.

dvp4life,

I have never seen the truth spelled out better than that !

I for one have heard some awful things said about coach Cobble and it just drives me up the walls. People expected a 8-2 or a 10-0 season even after all the injuries sent a lot of players to the sidelines!

Not only does JCHS need a strenght and conditioning coach, we also need a QB coach.

As dvp4life said, just as before coach Cobble is hamstrung having to keep the coaches that are already here

and has none of his own choosing except maybe the RB coach. Coach Cobble is THE coach that can turn this program around, but he needs time. My understanding is that he has a few, 2-4 players, that walk the halls that are coming out for football next year.

Lets all (patriot fans and parents) get behind coach Cobble and we will have a team that everyone can be pround of, and finally the '87 curse can turn into something that is nothing more than a cherished memory, not continued YARDSTICK that all future teams are measured by !!!

GO BLUE !!

dvp4life,

I have never seen the truth spelled out better than that !

I for one have heard some awful things said about coach Cobble and it just drives me up the walls. People expected a 8-2 or a 10-0 season even after all the injuries sent a lot of players to the sidelines!

Not only does JCHS need a strenght and conditioning coach, we also need a QB coach.

As dvp4life said, just as before coach Cobble is hamstrung having to keep the coaches that are already here

and has none of his own choosing except maybe the RB coach. Coach Cobble is THE coach that can turn this program around, but he needs time. My understanding is that he has a few, 2-4 players, that walk the halls that are coming out for football next year.

Lets all (patriot fans and parents) get behind coach Cobble and we will have a team that everyone can be pround of, and finally the '87 curse can turn into something that is nothing more than a cherished memory, not continued YARDSTICK that all future teams are measured by !!!

GO BLUE !!

The problem is he does need a new QB/Off coord but this is the same friend he went to college with. Will he make the tough decisions?? He may get a few out of the halls but I have heard that he may lose a few key players that plan to leave?? I also hear that key 8th graders are making plans to move to East/West. If this happens, he is doomed. I am interested, what awful things have you heard? Smoke/Fire???