Maryville vs. Sevier Co.

Red Rebels

I disagree. For years, Maryville played sub par William Blount and Heritage teams in non district games and said it was for "community" reasons. Sevier Co. would play Seymour for the same reason . A mute point now of course, but for years this occurred .

Really? And you are from where? Either one of these teams would give up a state championship just to get that one win.

That is awesome bmom but not surprising. I had the opportunity to meet coach Brewer 15-20 years ago when the Bears were traveling to a midstate school to play on a Friday night. My family owned a local restaurant and fed the team that afternoon. The young men were the very quiet and respectful and real YES SIR NO SIR type of kids, the kind you wouldn't mind your daughter dating. Coach Brewer had the attention and respect of every young man on that team

and treated all of them equally, from the 1st team QB to the 4th team tackle. All in all he earned the respect of my whole staff that afternoon and because of that I've pulled for SC every time they have lined up( except against my rebels). Coach Brewer is a fine man and SC is blessed to have him as an example to your children.

I believe it was 1994 as we were traveling to Brentwood Academy. That was my jr year, and as far as I know, besides the 1999 Clinic Bowl that the only time we've traveled to mid-state. You are correct that Coach Brewer's players have nothing but respect for him. I graduated in 1996 and I still call him "Coach." He's one of the finest men I've ever been around, and consider myself lucky to have played for him. As for Friday night, the Bears may not have enough to knock the Rebels off, but I do think they can be competitive. This will be the first time since 1992, my freshman year, that I have been to Maryville and rooted against the Rebels. Have nothing but respect for Coach Quarles and his program, but I'm hopeful my Bears can pull the shocker! :thumb:

Looking forward to playing someone different. SCHS has a good team and I hear they travel well. This season has been very disappointing as far as visiting fans #'s go. MARYVILLE has that big block banging on all cylinders. GO REBELS and welcome to the BLACK HOLE!

I hope the home stands are full (it's been light lately) and I hope the visiting stands are full, too. It would be nice for the players to enter from under the stadium to a full house!

I would also like to see a big crowd for this Fridays game. I believe with it being Sevier County it will definitely make for a big crowd on both sides of the field. SC looks like a very talented team with good coaching. It will be there first trip in recent history, (other than maybe a Jamboree appearance) that they will visit the Black Hole. Rebels looking very good right now, came close with my pick last week (42-7) Believe this week will be little closer, and starters will see action in second half. Rebels 42 Bears 17

Sevier County is an extremely talented team that is well-coached, has an explosive passing attack, efficient running game, and a very underrated defense overshadowed by the high power offense.

With that being said, I think the Maryville machine keeps rolling. Simply too much for Sevier County to contain. If they stack the box, they'll get picked apart through the air. If they zone in on the pass, they'll get scorched on the ground. Maryville is simply too good to be challenged by any 6A team around here. Normally high-powered offenses like Webb, Alcoa, etc. have been nonfactors against this elite squad.

If Sevier County wants to stand a chance, they'll have to jump out early and surprise Maryville, which I don't see happening. One thing's for sure. Maryville is no DB. If Sevier comes out like they did against DB this Friday, they'll be down 40 at halftime.

Rebels - 38

Bears - 13

Good luck to both teams.

I think the stands will be full. People knew the last two games were gonna be blowouts. Only the faithful come to see those trainwrecks.

I am a 'faithful' fan...I go to every home game and a few close by, too. It costs me around $50 for tickets and food (to support the band) to go to a game & take the fam. I believe that the TSSAA is very greedy to put players and teams through so many playoff games...it is quite unnecessary.

• Upvote 1

I am a 'faithful' fan...I go to every home game and a few close by, too. It costs me around $50 for tickets and food (to support the band) to go to a game & take the fam. I believe that the TSSAA is very greedy to put players and teams through so many playoff games...it is quite unnecessary.

Agreed! I do think that the BLACK HOLE will be packed. I m glad that name has caught on!

Bearsmom, if SC really believed to be the best you have to play the best, then why do you guys schedule Halls and William Blount as nonconference opponents? The IMAC is not a particulary deep conference. SC, Morristown West, and Jeff. Co.. (not this year) are the only quality teams year in year out. Maryville has tried to strengthen their schedule somewhat by scheduling Oak Ridge and Webb. The region Maryville plays in is better overall now. But when their "rivals" were not in the same league (during the megarun), the schedule was a joke. Sevier does play DB out of conference, but those other games are gimmies!