Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

Well, we are here. There is no question that Graham Clark has never heard this kind of rebuke from the Indian Nation in his time as Head Coach of the Indians. I have heard it building, year after year.... people asking about this years team and when I would tell them all of the great up and coming players and what I thought, they would look at you and say, "it don't matter, he can't win in the Playoffs." I would defend him and still it built and it has built into being vocal after another total collapse in a Home Playoff Loss.

Unitl Ted Wilson, the loveable "Silver Fox", that we hired away from a long tenure at Maryville, an awesome man who was a legend of sorts in HS Football, only one Coach had ever led the Indians even 10 Seasons. Ted coached 11 years for DB, that was the longest Head Coaching Tenure in Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Football History. The Silver Fox also had the most wins, 96, in School History. Only Fred Walton, who was Head Coach prior to Wilson (and my Head Coach) had ever coached 10 seasons. Most Coaching Tenures did not last long at DB before the string that Walton started in the early 70's.

To me, that the Indians never had a legenday longtime Coach, in almost 100 years of Football, seems odd. That is, until the Hiring of a young Graham Clark to replace Ted Wilson, for the 1993 Season. Now, 19 Seasons later, Graham Clark owns every Coaching Record in Kingsport Football History and his Coaching Record is hard to dispute, his record is 188-42, a .818% winning percentage.

Clark had a great and wonderful Playoff run thru his first 11 years, making 4 State Quarter Finals and 3 Semi-Finals. He was a legend and all was well. DB should have won a State Championship in those years, but it was so close, we all knew it would come in due time. Since then though, year after year of spectalur Regular Seasons, #1 Rankings all over the place and Clark just dominated local competition, to the point of it being no contest, and nobody expecting it to be. He is a funny man and we all love his Mayberry cut-ups. But, the Playoff Record has slipped since 2005 Season, to the point of almost dis-believe.

In 2005 - DB (9-1) lost at Home in Round 1 against the Owls of Ooltewah (17-20). A shocking upset.

In 2006 - DB (10-0) lost at Home in Round 1 against William Blount (10-13). A shocking upset. That Team should have won a State Title, they were incredible during the Season.

In 2007 - A rebuilding year, the Indian Fans were pleased to make Round 2, beating Oak Ridge in Round 1 and loosing to a strong Farragut Team on the Road, because we would be unstoppable in 2008.

In 2008 - DB (10-0) lost at Home in Round 1 against McMinn County. The most stunning loss in my history of being an Indian Fan. It was 24-0 at half, total domination, "everbody plays tonight".... and we lost.... in maybe the most embarrasing finish to game as I have ever witnessed and still have a hard time talking about.

We all thought that Team would win the State Title.

In 2009 - The Indians had their only loosing record under Clark, (even Betty Crocker burns a cake every once in a while) going 5-6 and loosing on the Road to Maryville in Round 1... but everybody knew.... we got everybody coming back and we will be awesome next year.

In 2010 - DB (11-0) lost at Home to Bearden in Round 2 in another shocking fashion, domintating the game in every way, but could not tackle 1 player, Devrin Young. The Indians never punted in this game and lost. Our Round 1 victory was against hapless Jeff. County (might as well have been South).

In 2011 - DB (11-0) again, a Round winner over hapless Jeff. County, looses to Sevier County at Home in Round 2. A game the Indians had in their back pocket. The Smokey Bears never sniffed the end zone, until they were down 28-0 with 2 min. left in the 3rd quarter.... and the Indians lost that game....35-28 in OT at Home.

I am an Indian Fan, thru and thru. I want to win a State Title in Football. We have the greatest tradition and the greatest fan base in East Tennessee (maybe the State). I will always pull for the Maroon and Gray.

What has to happen to get back to being a legitimate State Title Contender?

Edited by ArtVandalay

Well, we are here. There is no question that Graham Clark has never heard this kind of rebuke from the Indian Nation in his time as Head Coach of the Indians. I have heard it building, year after year.... people asking about this years team and when I would tell them all of the great up and coming players and what I thought, they would look at you and say, "it don't matter, he can't win in the Playoffs." I would defend him and still it built and it has built into being vocal after another total collapse in a Home Playoff Loss.

Unitl Ted Wilson, the loveable "Silver Fox", that we hired away from a long tenure at Maryville, an awesome man who was a legend of sorts in HS Football, only one Coach had ever led the Indians even 10 Seasons. Ted coached 11 years for DB, that was the longest Head Coaching Tenure in Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett Football History. The Silver Fox also had the most wins, 96, in School History. Only Fred Walton, who was Head Coach prior to Wilson (and my Head Coach) had ever coached 10 seasons. Most Coaching Tenures did not last long at DB before the string that Walton started in the early 70's.

To me, that the Indians never had a legenday longtime Coach, in almost 100 years of Football, seems odd. That is, until the Hiring of a young Graham Clark to replace Ted Wilson, for the 1993 Season. Now, 19 Seasons later, Graham Clark owns every Coaching Record in Kingsport Football History and his Coaching Record is hard to dispute, his record is 188-42, a .818% winning percentage.

Clark had a great and wonderful Playoff run thru his first 11 years, making 4 State Quarter Finals and 3 Semi-Finals. He was a legend and all was well. DB should have won a State Championship in those years, but it was so close, we all knew it would come in due time. Since then though, year after year of spectalur Regular Seasons, #1 Rankings all over the place and Clark just dominated local competition, to the point of it being no contest, and nobody expecting it to be. He is a funny man and we all love his Mayberry cut-ups. But, the Playoff Record has slipped since 2005 Season, to the point of almost dis-believe.

In 2005 - DB (9-1) lost at Home in Round 1 against the Owls of Ooltewah (17-20). A shocking upset.

In 2006 - DB (10-0) lost at Home in Round 1 against William Blount (10-13). A shocking upset. That Team should have won a State Title, they were incredible during the Season.

In 2007 - A rebuilding year, the Indian Fans were pleased to make Round 2, beating Oak Ridge in Round 1 and loosing to a strong Farragut Team on the Road, because we would be unstoppable in 2008.

In 2008 - DB (10-0) lost at Home in Round 1 against McMinn County. The most stunning loss in my history of being an Indian Fan. It was 24-0 at half, total domination, "everbody plays tonight".... and we lost.... in maybe the most embarrasing finish to game as I have ever witnessed and still have a hard time talking about.

We all thought that Team would win the State Title.

In 2009 - The Indians had their only loosing record under Clark, (even Betty Crocker burns a cake every once in a while) going 5-6 and loosing on the Road to Maryville in Round 1... but everybody knew.... we got everybody coming back and we will be awesome next year.

In 2010 - DB (11-0) lost at Home to Bearden in Round 2 in another shocking fashion, domintating the game in every way, but could not tackle 1 player, Devrin Young. The Indians never punted in this game and lost. Our Round 1 victory was against hapless Jeff. County (might as well have been South).

In 2011 - DB (11-0) again, a Round winner over hapless Jeff. County, looses to Sevier County at Home in Round 2. A game the Indians had in their back pocket. The Smokey Bears never sniffed the end zone, until they were down 28-0 with 2 min. left in the 3rd quarter.... and the Indians lost that game....35-28 in OT at Home.

I am an Indian Fan, thru and thru. I want to win a State Title in Football. We have the greatest tradition and the greatest fan base in East Tennessee (maybe the State). I will always pull for the Maroon and Gray.

What has to happen to get back to being a legitimate State Title Contender?

DB has and always will be a State Title Contender.... it's the word CHAMPION that they year after year fall short of!! So get you a few tissues and eat your crow like the rest of us. The Tribe will without a doubt live to fight another day!!! You guys had a great season this year but I have a feeling.... the best is yet to come. ;) I hate that we didn't get to see the Tribe take on the Great Wall of Blount County but it's probably for the best this year. :unsure:

DB has and always will be a State Title Contender.... it's the word CHAMPION that they year after year fall short of!! So get you a few tissues and eat your crow like the rest of us. The Tribe will without a doubt live to fight another day!!! You guys had a great season this year but I have a feeling.... the best is yet to come. ;) I hate that we didn't get to see the Tribe take on the Great Wall of Blount County but it's probably for the best this year. :unsure:

OK.... The Indians have a ton of talent that should be returning for 2012, no question about it!! Tough loss....I sware I thought #8 Swafford crossed the Goal Line in OT before he was pulled back and stripped of the ball. Replay would have shown that I think. But, the Refs let the stoppage of forward progress to not be an issue during the game. I hate that worst about modern Ref'n, they never blow a whistle, it get's players hurt and the Refs still throw Flags when players keep getting after it because they have been taught to play to the "whistle". **My rant on that.**

Roll Tribe Roll

The Tribe will be back and should be loaded with great talent.If there are any changes in the coaching staff or we have the same group of guys,I'll support them and hope the playoffs are a lot better in 2012.Nobody wants to win anymore than those guys because it's their job and they love DB football as well.I don't know who will be the coach at DB 10 or 20 years from now,but I hope he and his staff win games and are good men as I know GC and the coaches on his staff that I've talked to for the last several years.With the news over the last several days at PSU,having coaches like that means just as much to a parent as winning ball games.Roll Tribe

The Tribe will be back and should be loaded with great talent.If there are any changes in the coaching staff or we have the same group of guys,I'll support them and hope the playoffs are a lot better in 2012.Nobody wants to win anymore than those guys because it's their job and they love DB football as well.I don't know who will be the coach at DB 10 or 20 years from now,but I hope he and his staff win games and are good men as I know GC and the coaches on his staff that I've talked to for the last several years.With the news over the last several days at PSU,having coaches like that means just as much to a parent as winning ball games.Roll Tribe

we need to get rid of the score board to much watching the clock, fastest guy in north east tn touched the ball twice, in the first game we played sevier county you complained he wasnt healthy, he was healthy last night what happen, and in man coverage most of nite, just play to win not lose, cant play or coach scared put the hammer down and play ball, some of sevier county fans went and got on the bus they didnt even know they won thats sad, when the band played taps at half time thats was for the vets not us

My opinion, take it for what it's worth, but here ya go. DB football is the best in the Tri-Cities area consistently. The last three years, Greeneville would say they beg to differ, but historically DB has laid the wood to all the teams in the area...and that is that. DB knows how to beat all the teams around here because they have the numbers and the most consistent athletes. More success for them was found in the old playoff system, but really they are just playing the same teams they used to be playing in their old conference.

I have never been around anyone who is involved with the DB program, just hearing the DB fans on here talk what they gotta talk. I have also worked in Kingsport for 8 years and have seen the mindset of a lot of the fans.

1. You are better than anyone on your regular season schedule, you could win the conference with half your #1's out, that is how good you all are. Some of the out of conference games are tough, ala DB vs. Sevier #1 this year, so I don't think the OOC games are to blame. Whooping up on the teams you do in conference is nothing to brag about, and I'm a Boone fan.

2. You have more athletes and more money pumped into your program than anyone around here, so there really is no excuse unless the kids aren't working. State wise you might see some teams where more football football athletes come in and play, but I don't think that is a problem.

3. Coaching. Fingers point to that in post season play. Clark knows how to beat any team in this area 9/10 times. The question of how good his coaching is will be debated among the types of athletes he has. Is he a good coach or does he just have the numbers and good players? Hard to say.

4. Teams with better special teams do more for you in the post season.

5. We'll be having this same conversation next year. Same time, same topic, nothing will change.

6. Even tho people say DB is a great team, they will not ( in the near future) be able to play with a team like Maryville, or any of those Murfeesboro teams until something changes.

You play like your level of competition, and when a better team comes you either step up or head home.

My opinion, take it for what it's worth, but here ya go. DB football is the best in the Tri-Cities area consistently. The last three years, Greeneville would say they beg to differ, but historically DB has laid the wood to all the teams in the area...and that is that. DB knows how to beat all the teams around here because they have the numbers and the most consistent athletes. More success for them was found in the old playoff system, but really they are just playing the same teams they used to be playing in their old conference.

I have never been around anyone who is involved with the DB program, just hearing the DB fans on here talk what they gotta talk. I have also worked in Kingsport for 8 years and have seen the mindset of a lot of the fans.

1. You are better than anyone on your regular season schedule, you could win the conference with half your #1's out, that is how good you all are. Some of the out of conference games are tough, ala DB vs. Sevier #1 this year, so I don't think the OOC games are to blame. Whooping up on the teams you do in conference is nothing to brag about, and I'm a Boone fan.

2. You have more athletes and more money pumped into your program than anyone around here, so there really is no excuse unless the kids aren't working. State wise you might see some teams where more football football athletes come in and play, but I don't think that is a problem.

3. Coaching. Fingers point to that in post season play. Clark knows how to beat any team in this area 9/10 times. The question of how good his coaching is will be debated among the types of athletes he has. Is he a good coach or does he just have the numbers and good players? Hard to say.

5. We'll be having this same conversation next year. Same time, same topic, nothing will change.

6. Even tho people say DB is a great team, they will not ( in the near future) be able to play with a team like Maryville, or any of those Murfeesboro teams until something changes.

You play like your level of competition, and when a better team comes you either step up or head home.

hey we were up 28 to zip and tried to run the clock out, can you say dive dive dive punt times 3,you quit competing and start watching the clock hoping it runs out, it ran out but we were not ahead end, swafford and foreman never touched the ball in the second half now think about that as sevier county travels to maryville, i hope they have a great game, looks like the only way we will get to play them is schedule them and im certainly for that,win win for both schools we travel well and the maryville rebels travel well come on ad's get on it, no more cupcakes Edited by dbfanforlife

we need to get rid of the score board to much watching the clock, fastest guy in north east tn touched the ball twice, in the first game we played sevier county you complained he wasnt healthy, he was healthy last night what happen, and in man coverage most of nite, just play to win not lose, cant play or coach scared put the hammer down and play ball, some of sevier county fans went and got on the bus they didnt even know they won thats sad, when the band played taps at half time thats was for the vets not us

I don't know that I complained,it was just a fact.I was more concerned with the fastest man not being on defense.I think getting the ball into the hands of the best playmaker in NET was probably our goal friday night and he had a great night running,catching and on defense.I know he still was not 100% either.Number 25 for SC is a great player and he had some game changing plays on offense,defense and special teams.Even the blocked punt was in part trying to keep it out of his hands{along with bad blocking}on both those late punts.He was playing center field a few times just waiting for the long ball to Malik when they started blitzing and we had to throw late.Cook might have got the ball to him but was under pressure when he was trying to throw some of those passes.We didn't need to sling the ball as much early because they couldn't stop our dive or Cook and Swafford.It's over and now looking forward.A lot of people want to play Maryville in the regular season to help us get better prepared for the playoffs.A few things that would do if your not as good as Maryville.Put a loss on you and get you on the road quicker in the playoffs to start with.The other would be to give the best program in the state even more knowledge on how to beat you during the playoffs.SC has played two playoff games now,let's see how much of a difference two tough games means before you take on the Rebs.Our youger guys just have to go back to work and pick up where TY,Hunter,Terry,Paul and all the hard working seniors help make this one of the hardest working classes in several years

You are right about being able to compete with maryville. I dont think even if DB would have beaten SC, that they would have been able to stop Maryville. They probably could have put a good game up but that's not enough to beat them. And as far as money and talent goes, that's not all that matters, look at science hill. We get the nicest weight rooms, whole new coaching staff, one of the nicest high school stadiums around and we can't go as far as we should. Sooner or later, DB will catch a break.

I'm going to charter a bus for the Quarter Back Club meeting this Tuesday.After all, i would say that there will be a lot of people with something on their mind. Who's with me??? Time to get over the hump and win a title. It's time!!!!! Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!!!

If D-B fans could choose the next football coach, who would it be, realistically ? (sp)