Dobyns-Bennett Football

ArtVandalay

Some History on J. Fred Johnson Stadium.

9 months after the attack on Pearl Harbor, on Sept. 3,1942 the Stadium had it's Grand Opening with a Concert/War Bond Sale that featured Acadamy Award Winner Greer Garson. She was a smoking hot Red Head Actress from MGM Studios and was one of the biggest female movie stars of the 40's. Kingsport was trying to sell $50,000 worth of War Bonds. If you bought a $500 Bond, you got a picture with the movie star.

8 Days later. on 9/11/42, the Football Season was opened, the first game to be played in J. Fred Johnson Stadium was a 47-0 whipping over Mountain City (today's Johnson County). DB's Defense gave up only 1 first down.

I think that ties somehow to the first game played after 9/11/2001... at Jefferson County. The Band had a halftime show that was a World War II Theme, and only 3 days after the attacks on America, the DB Band brought the entire crowd to it's feet and I doubt there was a dry eye in the stadium. It was a very emotional performance.

Roll Tribe

Hey, I can't let this one go since I had a kid out there on the field for this performance.

Ironically, this was performed later at of all places - the Sevier Co. Smoky Bears home. This show was an amazing coincidence. No idea in advance how appropriate it would be. Standing O's from every audiance. The very moving end to the show was what brought people to their feet. I think we won that game too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9ueybjXZg&context=C2fb03ADOEgsToPDskIRNDASeTZRaeF4WUy68a6F

Edited by balley8780

DB is NOT a program to be laughed at. It only goes to something schools west of you have been saying for years. The majority of AP voters are in East Tn. Thusly there has been a decided East Tn bias in the voting. Back when there was only 5 classes and Maryville was in 4a the one thing everyone could count on was DB was going to be #1 in the AP poll and would stay there all during the regular season.

Now we have this little poll by ONE of those AP writers that does NOT face the reality that DB chokes in the playoffs against teams not in their District. That in itself is a slap in the face of EVERY team in 5 and 6A that made it past the second round.

Art, Thank You for background on y'alls stadium. BTW who is the man it was named after?

LOD, here's a link to the man in which the stadium was named. ROLL TRIBE! :motorbike:

http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=715

Hey, I can't let this one go since I had a kid out there on the field for this performance.

Ironically, this was performed later at of all places - the Sevier Co. Smoky Bears home. This show was an amazing coincidence. No idea in advance how appropriate it would be. Standing O's from every audiance. The very moving end to the show was what brought people to their feet. I think we won that game too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD9ueybjXZg&context=C2fb03ADOEgsToPDskIRNDASeTZRaeF4WUy68a6F

Very cool Balley.... and LOD - I sure don't know everything about J. Fred Johnson, but I do know this. He built the modern city of Kingsport, from the 1910's,20's,30's and 40's, he called the shots. In the early days, he owened THE STORE, THE BIG STORE,he brought in Industry, and a NY City Architect who designed all of the Downtown Buildings and some of the original homes in Kingsport. He had help, but nothing was done without J. Fred's stamp of approval.

Awesome performance. Thanks for sharing.

I usually pay no attention to the band , but as I said earlier this year , when the Kingsport DB band played at Neyland Stadium this year ... by far , the Best High School Band I've ever seen , I was blown away , they were actually better than the Pride of the South Land . Amazing . :thumb:

Edited by pepvol

Did anybody hear that the city of Kpt is talking about giving the DB stadium an upgrade? Grand stands? How many million? How about spending some of that money and getting them a coach and a team that can make it past the 2nd round. It is so bad, everybody on here is starting to talk about how good the band is. Wow, DB band, thats cool. Get a football team to go with it. Facts are facts, look at history under Coach Clark. He chokes. This season, DB only had one three star recruit, no four stars and no five stars. And the three star only got three stars because he weighs 300 pounds and sent film to other schools based upon playing Central and Volunteer. Wow, anybody should have been able to get three stars playing those schools. Same Ole crap from DB. They beat everybody around here and can't go nowhere. Thats just par for the course for arrogant DB people.

Roll Tribe!!!

Did anybody hear that the city of Kpt is talking about giving the DB stadium an upgrade? Grand stands? How many million? How about spending some of that money and getting them a coach and a team that can make it past the 2nd round. It is so bad, everybody on here is starting to talk about how good the band is. Wow, DB band, thats cool. Get a football team to go with it. Facts are facts, look at history under Coach Clark. He chokes. This season, DB only had one three star recruit, no four stars and no five stars. And the three star only got three stars because he weighs 300 pounds and sent film to other schools based upon playing Central and Volunteer. Wow, anybody should have been able to get three stars playing those schools. Same Ole crap from DB. They beat everybody around here and can't go nowhere. Thats just par for the course for arrogant DB people.

Roll Tribe!!!

Yeah, the DB band is awesome. Did'nt you see them on TV for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or at Neyland Stadium for the halftime show of the Buffalo game? Oh yeah, and we play a little football too. Just enough to whip your schools a#* everytime we play them. So you better check the attitude bro and crawl back in your mommys basement and do whatever it is you do. Jerk!!!!!!!!!! By the way it's 7.4 million, so just keep that Rock Springs City tax money coming. :thumb::roflol:

Edited by dbFAN91

Kpt needs the anexation money. I agree. They do. Haven't you seen the latest? Kpt is $222 million in debt. Now add another 7.4 million into a stadium where the kids can't make it past the second round....thats smart.....!!! How much more money is going to get dumped into that program which chokes every year? Doesn't sound like a good investment. Maybe if Kpt annexes the rest of Colonial Heights, Rock Springs, Fall Creek and Indian Springs, then DB would have the talent to make it to state. BUT, only if Coach (Choke) Clark leaves. But thats the only way. You know, whats funny, you guys think your the best, but you need us to complete your team so you can make it to state. Obviously, because you can't make it now. Ha Ha Ha Ha.....

As is stands now, DB and Kingsport is one big JOKE, or is that CHOKE....Ha Ha

Roll Tribe......Rolling in debt!!!!!!

Kpt needs the anexation money. I agree. They do. Haven't you seen the latest? Kpt is $222 million in debt. Now add another 7.4 million into a stadium where the kids can't make it past the second round....thats smart.....!!! How much more money is going to get dumped into that program which chokes every year? Doesn't sound like a good investment. Maybe if Kpt annexes the rest of Colonial Heights, Rock Springs, Fall Creek and Indian Springs, then DB would have the talent to make it to state. BUT, only if Coach (Choke) Clark leaves. But thats the only way. You know, whats funny, you guys think your the best, but you need us to complete your team so you can make it to state. Obviously, because you can't make it now. Ha Ha Ha Ha.....

Inferiority Complex

Love it or leave it pal. And when we start needing your talent to win football games that will be when we start missing the playoffs all together. I mean how many years in a row now? Too many to even worry about. I hear Johnson City needs a few more fairy princesses i bet you would fit in well. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!

Love it or leave it pal. And when we start needing your talent to win football games that will be when we start missing the playoffs all together. I mean how many years in a row now? Too many to even worry about. I hear Johnson City needs a few more fairy princesses i bet you would fit in well. Roll Tribe!!!!!!!!!

Go ahead now and brag about how many years in a year you made the playoffs. Because that's all db fans have. :roflol: